• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The John Ford Initiative

Free episodes:

Cosmos007

Skilled Investigator
This Sunday, July 12 the Inception Radio Network will begin a monthly news report on The John Ford Initiative, a campaign to free John Ford from the mental institution where he has been illegally/unjustly incarcerated for over 18 years.

The show begins at 9:00 Eastern Time. For those not familiar with the John Ford case, go to ufoteacher.com/johnford to become familiar with the issues involved.

Your thoughts and comments would be welcome.

Everything is connected... :)

Not intended to interfere with The Paracast...but the issues involved are important. [emoji36]

Have a great day.

Everything is connected... :)

Keep up to date with The John Ford UFO Nightmare
www.inceptionradionetwork.com/archives/john-ford-ufo-nightmare/

Just curious, but how many people in this forum have actually done any research into the background behind John Ford's arrest? Have you arrived at your opinion through careful consideration of the facts or is your opinion based on hearsay/biased opinion by those ignorant of the facts?

None of us were there or involved, so why shouldn't he be given the benefit of the doubt?

A curious case. I have no idea about Mr. Ford's guilt or innocence of the original charge or his sanity. But I am having a hard time determining the current status of the case. Perhaps this is due to only being able to read information in the Initiative web site rather than the audio update.

One article (dated on the website as being from 2011) states that Ford has been shuffled back and forth to determine if he is mentally fit to stand trial. This was confusing because I read the article first and it is way out of date. The 2014 retention order states Ford was found not responsible by reason of his mental status in 2000, and committed for treatment as a result.

The 2016 letter states that Ford agreed to an insanity plea on the bad advice of his lawyer. Has that plea been challenged through a writ of habeas corpus on the basis of ineffective assistance of counsel? (I assume this could be done in NY as it can be done in California, where I practice.)

Has he ever had a jury trial on his retention for treatment, as the 2014 petition states is his right? What did the judge rule in regard to this? Was that decision appealed?

Has a petition for habeas corpus ever been filed? Has the New York Court of Appeals been asked to look at the case? Was a federal action taken?

It appears that Ford will be eligible for a new hearing in April, but the web site does not make his case status clear or indicate what exactly is being done at this time. I hope that I can listen to the audio in the near future.

Last edited:
A curious case. I have no idea about Mr. Ford's guilt or innocence of the original charge or his sanity. But I am having a hard time determining the current status of the case. Perhaps this is due to only being able to read information in the Initiative web site rather than the audio update.

One article (dated on the website as being from 2011) states that Ford has been shuffled back and forth to determine if he is mentally fit to stand trial. This was confusing because I read the article first and it is way out of date. The 2014 retention order states Ford was found not responsible by reason of his mental status in 2000, and committed for treatment as a result.

The 2016 letter states that Ford agreed to an insanity plea on the bad advice of his lawyer. Has that plea been challenged through a writ of habeas corpus on the basis of ineffective assistance of counsel? (I assume this could be done in NY as it can be done in California, where I practice.)

Has he ever had a jury trial on his retention for treatment, as the 2014 petition states is his right? What did the judge rule in regard to this? Was that decision appealed?

Has a petition for habeas corpus ever been filed? Has the New York Court of Appeals been asked to look at the case? Was a federal action taken?

It appears that Ford will be eligible for a new hearing in April, but the web site does not make his case status clear or indicate what exactly is being done at this time. I hope that I can listen to the audio in the near future.

You should probably listen to the audio shows, Episodes 1-7, by visiting the link provided to answer your questions. :)

You should probably listen to the audio shows, Episodes 1-7, by visiting the link provided to answer your questions. :)

I was afraid of that. I was hoping that the Initiative web site had materials that I had missed since it is easier for me to look at that than to set aside time to listen to audio. But I'll do that as time permits.

I read the letter that Ford wrote a few years ago and got lost in the story about the KGB, CIA, Mossad agents, UFO crashes, Israel shooting down a UFO and wanting to set up an alliance with groups and nations - with Ford playing a central role. Mixed in with that were threats that the local Powers That Be found his UFO activities to be a problem, that a friend or colleague was severely beaten as a result, and that corrupt officials wanted him out of the way.

I wondered if this was consistent with what his UFO group was alleging at the time or a later addition to the story. The events at issue could have pushed him over the edge and into the hole that he has faced since then.

There is a California prisoner serving a life sentence for masterminding a murder who claims he was framed because he had been involved in space battles against aliens. The story he weaved is just that and has no credibility - although it has gotten him several interviews with Kerry Cassidy.

There may be other issues with Fords mental state that makes his case a bit different. Even if I put Ford into a similar category as the California guy, at this point the issue is whether his mental state makes him a danger to others.

Since the claim is that Ford is a political prisoner who was falsely accused and set up as being criminally insane, I was looking for a clear statement about what he had been charged with doing, if there had been a preliminary hearing before he entered the plea, the chronology of his case since that time, and supporting documents. I wish the web site provided more information or made it easier to find what is on there.

Last edited:
I listened to/read the Ford stuff a while ago. He struck me as delusional but probably harmless (toothpaste?) taking into account the history of potentially vindictive political machines in the area that might be out to get him. The written documents I saw certainly did not help his case, nor was I persuaded by the people who mounted his defense. However across the US we have a poor record of dealing with mental illness and it does seem odd that Ford is incarcerated while other crazies are running for President.

I listened to/read the Ford stuff a while ago. He struck me as delusional but probably harmless (toothpaste?) taking into account the history of potentially vindictive political machines in the area that might be out to get him. The written documents I saw certainly did not help his case, nor was I persuaded by the people who mounted his defense. However across the US we have a poor record of dealing with mental illness and it does seem odd that Ford is incarcerated while other crazies are running for President.
Explain what you mean by "delusional". Which documents do you feel didn't help his case? How much have you really listened to/read from the John Ford Initiative site?

Go here; The Official John Ford Initiative, Free John Ford Now There are plenty of PDFs to download, as well as, background materials. If you listen to the audio programs, your questions should be answered.

I have been working on it. But it is frustrating. There is some interesting material on the web site but it is scattered. At least one article is misdated. Other articles are simply linked without context or explanation. There are PDFs of some case materials relating to Fords mental status, but without context or follow up - and material that I might expect to find is not posted. It would be helpful to have a clear case chronology with links to supporting facts. Don't tell me that he is a political prisoner who has been illegally confined - demonstrate it and provide supporting documentation.

The initial audio that I have started to listen to has some contradictions and statements that make me want to interrupt.

From what is presented, though, it appears to have been a weak case against him. It's hard to believe that a discussion about putting radium into toothpaste was a serious conspiracy. And the audio I listened to raised concerns about the plea. I found a reference to codefendants in one article - a comment embedded there wondered what happened to them. Information I found elsewhere indicates they pled guilty. I wonder if there has been any attempt to contact these people since then.

I still wonder if an Article 440 motion (equivalent to a habeas proceeding in my state) was brought to challenge the plea on IAC grounds or his ability to understand while medicated - both issues raised in the audio. At this point that is probably neither here nor there in terms of Ford's continuing confinement but it would be important to address in light of the claim that he suffers illegal imprisonment and the amount of attention given that in the audio.

The 2012 transcripts were interesting. Ford seems to be caught in a catch 22. Everyone agrees he has been nonviolent and that he has had no problems since being committed. Everyone also agrees that Ford believes the CIA-KGB-Mossad narrative. The state's position was that Ford remains delusional and they do not know what would happen if Ford was released - particularly if he did not take his meds. As I interpret the court, it was not willing to take a chance given the factors that were cited.

A 2013 letter talks about a hearing to present a defense expert and a possible writ. There was a 2014 request for a jury trial. No follow up is provided. There might be information about that in the audio, but it will take awhile to get through it.

I have a client who is subject to a forced medication order after injuring himself trying to remove what he believes to be a CIA implant. I represent him on other matters but attended the last hearing. In some respect it seems to be a similar kind of situation to Ford. He was no longer trying to hurt himself, but that was attributed to the medication. In the end, the hearing officer did not want to take the chance and left the order in place. It's a tough situation, the better he gets, the more it demonstrates why the medication order is necessary.

Ford seems to be caught in that kind of box. That he is a model patient is used to demonstrate why he needs to be retained. My client was lucky in getting a new treating psychiatrist who got him off the meds. In 2012, the court urged the state to find a way to treat Ford so he is not indefinitely retained. That does not appear to have happened.

I don't have to believe that the CIA-KGB-Mossad story is real - or to think that there were UFO crashes or even to question his plea - to wonder why Ford remains a danger and needs to be confined to a treatment facility. So I'll continue listening. I just wish there was an easier way to find out more and look at documentation.

Last edited:
Explain what you mean by "delusional". Which documents do you feel didn't help his case? How much have you really listened to/read from the John Ford Initiative site?

By delusional I mean someone who has a mental illness causing them to think things that are not true. Generally these are things that fit some kind of internal narrative a person needs to believe in to make an otherwise threatening world make sense and seem manageable to them. The delusional beliefs diverge enough from our provisional, consensus reality to cause real problems for the people around the person holding them. I am not a mental health professional; I am talking about what I have learned from experience with friends, family members and close associates.

I first heard about Ford from a Future Theater episode a year or so ago. It was an interesting issue, so I listened to all the podcasts I could find and looked at the various websites and documents that were available. As I recall, the case the Birnes were making on their podcast was that Ford was railroaded into jail for talking about a UFO sighting. Looking at the various documents that were made available, including I believe a court transcript and handwritten letters from Ford, I concluded that the Birnes' and other Ford supporters' focus on the UFO angle was distorting the issue around Ford's detainment, putting the focus on the UFO narrative when it should have been on Ford's mental health status and needs.

Clueless Wonder's "The Greys Have Been Framed: Exploitation in the UFO Community" is a book-length justification for continuing to ask questions like: Is the John Ford Initiative being undertaken in the interests of John Ford, or or is he just another pawn in the UFO narrative? I'm open minded, but ufology being what it is I'll lean in the 'delusional, being exploited' direction until reasonable arguments convince me otherwise.

The John Ford Initiative was founded to provide the facts surrounding his arrest and secure his release from the Mid Hudson Psychiatric Center. You should go to the John Ford Initiative site and do some more research, in fact, read everything provided and listen to the audios. Then listen to the seven episodes of The John Ford UFO Nightmare and tune in the second Sunday of each month to learn more. The links are provided in this thread.

Admittedly, this is a bizarre case but that should not deter anybody from taking a closer look. There are issues with the date on the warrant for his arrest, with his co-defendants, with the disinformation about the small amount of radium in his possession which he had gotten from a "friend" so that he could calibrate his radiation detection equipment and with bad advice given him by his original lawyer to take the insanity plea. Also, at one of his retention hearings, the "system" if I may use that reference, tried to use his belief in UFOs as a reason to keep him in the psychiatric center. Is that not bothersome to anybody? Fortunately, the judge ruled against it. Then John's claim of his involvement with the CIA/Mossad was used against him and therefore he was labeled delusional. But, the above points are just a brief, incomplete outline and there's much more to consider. Again, use the resources provide at the John Ford Initiative site.

Don't know what you mean "just another pawn in the UFO narrative". Those of us who know John Ford are convinced of his innocence and the only pawns are the people being led to believe that he is a danger to society. There are more issues involved here than just UFOs.

Next broadcast of The John Ford UFO Nightmare is on Sunday, Feb. 14 at 9:00 p.m. Eastern. You are urged to call in and express your views.

Have a great day and may peace be with you always. :)

The January 10 edition of The John Ford UFO Nightmare, Episode 7, should be available by the end of the week at IRN. Hope you give it a listen.

Episode #8 now available at the Inception Radio Network archives. It features one of John Ford's co-defendants, Joseph Mazzuchelli. An enlightening episode to say the least. Next episode scheduled for Sunday, March 13 at 9:00 p.m. Eastern. Feel free to call in and air your thoughts/comments.

The January 10 edition of The John Ford UFO Nightmare, Episode 7, should be available by the end of the week at IRN. Hope you give it a listen.

A link to a pay website for downloading podcasts about Ford? It becomes even harder to take Ford's case seriously and now I worry that his friends seem so clueless. I'm actually pretty open minded about the case and don't mean to diss Mr. Ford at all. What is his benefit out of all this?

Back