• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ted Roe of NARCAP — June 8, 2014

You clearly have an agenda that isn't objective and your expectation of conformity with the mess that is Ufology doesn't lend any credibility to your concerns.
Well, now I have to stand up for ufology here and say that your two agendas are pretty aligned.

He's been a very honest skeptical and rational thinker from what I can tell and he's done some great work here in my hometown.

And I was just thinking to ask you about Dr. Vallee, as I know that he’s pretty much gone underground with all the noise going on up here.., awesome. Great interview, thanks Mr. Roe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now I have to stand up for ufology here and say that your two agendas are pretty aligned.

He's been a very honest skeptical and rational thinker from what I can tell and he's done some great work here in my hometown.
I got the same impression until I read his diatribe. Terminology is critical as is image management and UAP research can embrace a lot more than alien chasing. But he doesn't think so.... Bottom line is that until we can define the various categories of UAP accurately and we can really see what is in the data, we can't speak with authority about aliens and incursions. He might find diplomacy, nuance and objectivity to be obstacles to what he thinks is important but he is assuming that he knows all about NARCAP, what we do and why and how we do it, the reasons for our needing to expand our research and administrative budget, etc... he sounds like a sour old man that knows what he doesn't like and focuses on sharing that with the world... He can do what he wants with his effort but smearing my team without even bothering to get the facts first doesn't bode well for his credibility or his organization.

Don't you think you're being a little bit harsh?
No. I'm commenting using examples.
I mean, if I wanted to remain credible I'd distance myself from the mainstream UFO angle, too...
I suppose that depends on your definition of "mainstream UFO angle". If we think of the word "mainstream" as synonymous with "popular" then personally, I don't think popularity should be the concern. My concern is truth, as in what is the correspondence between the various claims and objective reality. If that turns out to coincide with whatever the mainstream angle is, then I'm fine with that.
And I do not agree at all that "Serious ufology has a legitimate history..."
I think I used the phrase "serious ufology". If you want to know what that is, then check out the USI page on ufology.
Most scientists put it one hundred percent squarely in the pseudoscience bucket from what I can tell. I think Ted is trying to sidestep this categorization and I welcome it.

I haven't taken a poll of all the scientists and reached a conclusion as to what "most" of them think, but I would be willing to concede that most ( but not all ) skeptics would call ufology pseudoscience. But whatever either of them might think, their reasons for classing ufology as pseudoscience are faulty. We've had some discussion about that here on the Paracast in the Ufology & Pseudoscience thread and also in the USI page on ufology linked to earlier.

In a nutshell, pseudoscience is something that is presented as science but fails to meet accepted scientific standards, and ufology is to broad a field to be presented as a science unto itself, is rarely presented as science unto itself within the ufology community, and even in the cases where there might be a legitimate claim of pseudoscience ( e.g. orgone energy ), individual cases of pseudoscience within a field don't make the entire field into a pseudoscience, otherwise we'd have even more reason to call medicine pseudoscience. The pseudoscience label is nothing more than a cheap attempt by academia to demonize the subject.

No. I'm commenting using examples. I have responded to your lengthy criticism and await your reply.......

I suppose that depends on your definition of "mainstream UFO angle". If we think of the word "mainstream" as synonymous with "popular" then personally, I don't think popularity should be the concern. My concern is truth, as in what is the correspondence between the various claims and objective reality. If that turns out to coincide with whatever the mainstream angle is, then I'm fine with that.

I think I used the phrase "serious ufology". If you want to know what that is, then check out the USI page on ufology.

I haven't taken a poll of all the scientists and reached a conclusion as to what "most" of them think, but I would be willing to concede that most ( but not all ) skeptics would call ufology pseudoscience. But whatever either of them might think, their reasons for classing ufology as pseudoscience are faulty. We've had some discussion about that here on the Paracast in the Ufology & Pseudoscience thread and also in the USI page on ufology linked to earlier.

In a nutshell, pseudoscience is something that is presented as science but fails to meet accepted scientific standards, and ufology is to broad a field to be presented as a science unto itself, is rarely presented as science unto itself within the ufology community, and even in the cases where there might be a legitimate claim of pseudoscience ( e.g. orgone energy ), individual cases of pseudoscience within a field don't make the entire field into a pseudoscience, otherwise we'd have even more reason to call medicine pseudoscience. The pseudoscience label is nothing more than a cheap attempt by academia to demonize the subject.

Ufology said "If I could ask just one favor. Please don't throw serious ufology under the bus along with the fringe groups and cults. Serious ufology has a legitimate history and the subject of alien visitation isn't just "entertainment".

Our research team is lead by Dr. Richard Haines and includes Dr. Vallee, Dr. Haisch and others that are considered major contributors to what you refer to as "Serious Ufology". We have many associates and friends of our org that are also considered to be contributors to credible research. Our studies are well presented and represent a thorough and conservative approach to UAP research. Our work and our activism is focused on a relevant and well-documented concern for the aviation community and a real and persistent threat to aviation safety.
That's encouraging.
I am sorry that you can't manage the nuances that come with a group that is more concerned with resolving actual UAP incidents and addressing the implications than it is in proving that all UFOs are aliens and the government knows it.
As anyone who has discussed the subject matter with me knows very well, I can manage the nuances just fine. NARCAP is nothing new to me and it might be helpful for you to know that the group I'm with ( USI ) adopted the term UAP as it was originally intended by Haines, which most simply put, differentiates the more vague cases from those which aren't. Most UFO reports that don't turn out to be something mundane, turn out to be UAP, but that's only because they lack sufficient information from which to draw a conclusion. However some cases are definitive enough to class the object as a UFO, and a UFO is not a UAP and it never will be. For a more "nuanced" look at the word history and the evidence for what the word UFO means, I suggest you check out the UFO article on the USI website.
That might be your expectation and approach but it isn't ours. We are free to discuss any aspect of that and are equally free to fund, develop and expand our program as we see fit. We aren't interested in backing up Ufology, we are actively seeking data and doing the work.
We have been a virtual org for our entire existence and expecting that we should continue doing it out of pocket and via Skype when the work demands more adequately demonstrates your own lack of experience in project management.
That doesn't address the question. You're not building a ship or a skyscraper, so you rarely have a need to travel physically to a location in order to accomplish a task, especially if you already have contacts at that location. As I pointed out, complex projects that require the assembly of information have successfully used telecommunications to get the job done, and big businesses ( e.g. Telus ) have many employees doing their jobs from home ( telecommuting ). So perhaps you should call into question their experience rather than mine. What information exactly do you need to convey to someone in France that can't be done via the Internet in far less time and expense? I'm curious.
You know, I found your website months ago and reached out to you because I generally liked the idea and approach. Looked like it might qualify as "Serious Ufology" though there were a couple of red flags but after this exchange I will withdraw that assessment pending some further proof. You clearly have an agenda that isn't objective and your expectation of conformity with the mess that is Ufology doesn't lend any credibility to your concerns.
Please provide a specific example ( with an explanation ) that supports that assessment. Until that happens, it's just another unsubstantiated slam against ufology. I've given NARCAP the credit it deserves for helping pilots come forward with their experiences, but let's not ruin that by then saying that that what some of them saw was simply a UAP. I believe people have seen alien craft, and I'm not afraid to say that. I've seen one myself. It sounds like perhaps you have too. I don't have enough details about your experiences to go that far. But for your own sake, if you do, then don't go into denial. Accept the fact that alien visitation is a reality and start sticking up for the rest of us out here instead of sloughing us off along with the fringe cults.

I got the same impression until I read his diatribe. Terminology is critical as is image management and UAP research can embrace a lot more than alien chasing.
Image management? As in NARCAP's strategy to distance itself from ufology in an effort to be taken more seriously? Again, my view is that propping up NARCAP's image at the expense of ufology is exactly the kind of two faced attitude I'm talking about, and what's more, it's being assisted from within the ufology community. Let's look at this quote from NARCAP's own recommendations that use Nick Pope's opinions as part of NARCAP's rationale to advocate the use of UAP rather than UFO:

"Pope’s suggestion to replace the term UFO with UAP would, over time, help dissociate the often misleading and biased images of the past from the small core of legitimate atmospheric phenomena that deserve to be studied. But even by redefining the term UFO Pope believes that the perceived link with extraterrestrial spacecraft and alien visitation still will be hard to change; nevertheless, some people may be willing to accept the term UAP as a subset of phenomena acceptable for future study." [ bolded mine ]

Excuse me but why should we need to change the "link between UFOs and alien visitation" when that is exactly what we're talking about? It's the very heart of the subject matter. So why wrap it all up inside "UAPs" and "aviation safety" if that's what you want to talk about? Oh I forgot, that's not what NARCAP wants to talk about:

"Please do not contact NARCAP to gain participation in programs that engage in speculation regarding extraterrestrial visitation and/or UFO as alien spacecraft. We do not know what UAP are and do not support any claim regarding incursions into the Earth domain by nonhuman intelligences. NARCAP reports and studies are not entertainment." ( NARCAP ).

But then again that's pretty much all I heard on the show. So again it seems readily apparent that NARCAP's image management strategy is to make itself seem more credible when talking about UFOs by distancing itself from the ufology community and introducing its own jargon, rather than stepping-up to the plate and adding its otherwise excellent work to serious ufology. That is the point I'm trying to make. Serious ufology has a hard enough time as it is without being eroded by those who should be our allies.

Last edited:
That's encouraging.

As anyone who has discussed the subject matter with me knows very well, I can manage the nuances just fine. NARCAP is nothing new to me and it might be helpful for you to know that the group I'm with ( USI ) adopted the term UAP as it was originally intended by Haines, which most simply put, differentiates the more vague cases from those which aren't. Most UFO reports that don't turn out to be something mundane, turn out to be UAP, but that's only because they lack sufficient information from which to draw a conclusion. However some cases are definitive enough to class the object as a UFO, and a UFO is not a UAP and it never will be. For a more "nuanced" look at the word history and the evidence for what the word UFO means, I suggest you check out the UFO article on the USI website.
The definition of UAP by Haines states that an unidentified aerial phenomena is defined as the stimulus for a report that remains unidentified after qualified analysis of all available data...in otherwords, a UAP is not whats left when "they lack sufficient information from which to draw a conclusion". Its what remains when no other conclusion can be reached and it is unidentified. The ONLY time a UAP can be defined as a UFO is if the report suggests that the UAP is a physical object. A ball of light can not be defined as a UFO but it is a UAP...

That doesn't address the question. You're not building a ship or a skyscraper, so you rarely have a need to travel physically to a location in order to accomplish a task, especially if you already have contacts at that location. As I pointed out, complex projects that require the assembly of information have successfully used telecommunications to get the job done, and big businesses ( e.g. Telus ) have many employees doing their jobs from home ( telecommuting ). So perhaps you should call into question their experience rather than mine. What information exactly do you need to convey to someone in France that can't be done via the Internet in far less time and expense? I'm curious.
When it comes to team building, signing research agreements, discussing sensitive subjects and building trust there is no better way to do it than face-to-face. Further, we want to host our own closed research symposia and invite papers and presentations as well as participate with those that take place outside the US. Bottom line though is that I, and others in my team, have dedicated tens of thousands of hours to the NARCAP project and paid for every bit of it out of pocket while posting our documents and studies on the net for you and yours free of charge. You are welcome.
I take great exception to your panhandling comment.
The fact is that we need a major research and admin budget that will allow us to meet our project goals and its time to get it. There is no need to limp along if we can raise operating and research funds. To suggest otherwise isn't rational - most research arcs span a decade and where do you think research and admin budgets come from?

Please provide a specific example ( with an explanation ) that supports that assessment. Until that happens, it's just another unsubstantiated slam against ufology. I've given NARCAP the credit it deserves for helping pilots come forward with their experiences, but let's not ruin that by then saying that that what some of them saw was simply a UAP. I believe people have seen alien craft, and I'm not afraid to say that. I've seen one myself. It sounds like perhaps you have too. I don't have enough details about your experiences to go that far. But for your own sake, if you do, then don't go into denial. Accept the fact that alien visitation is a reality and start sticking up for the rest of us out here instead of sloughing us off along with the fringe cults.

We are not obligated to meet your standards. You might want to try and meet ours. A pilot has seen a UAP no matter what he personally might believe it is. We include witness descriptions and readers can come to their own conclusion. I am not needed to hold anyones hand and tell them what I think the pilot saw.
As for your concerns about denial you might want to replay my interview. I was pretty clear about the potentials and some of my concerns. You haven't read our studies, you are unfamiliar with who we are and what we do. If you had then you would actually know what we think and how we present it. We owe you, and ufology in general, nothing. There is no reason for us to abandon image management and objective work. We are addressing UAP as we see fit, within the scope of our work. Show me a definitive proof of ET incursions and we will reconsider our own position (which is clear in our documents that you haven't read.... read my paper on Spherical UAP, for example)

Also, I imbedded my responses in your long diatribe including addressing your misunderstandings about our terminology, etc...

Image management? As in NARCAP's strategy to distance itself from ufology in an effort to be taken more seriously? Again, my view is that propping up NARCAP's image at the expense of ufology Since when does NARCAP owe ufology anything? Why do you think some of the best minds in the study are on our team. They agree with our approach to UAP studies... is exactly the kind of two faced attitude I'm talking about, and what's more, it's being assisted from within the ufology community. Let's look at this quote from NARCAP's own recommendations that use Nick Pope's opinions as part of NARCAP's rationale to advocate the use of UAP rather than UFO:

"Pope’s suggestion to replace the term UFO with UAP would, over time, help dissociate the often misleading and biased images of the past from the small core of legitimate atmospheric phenomena that deserve to be studied. But even by redefining the term UFO Pope believes that the perceived link with extraterrestrial spacecraft and alien visitation still will be hard to change; nevertheless, some people may be willing to accept the term UAP as a subset of phenomena acceptable for future study." [ bolded mine ]

Excuse me but why should we need to change the "link between UFOs and alien visitation" when that is exactly what we're talking about? It's the very heart of the subject matter. No it isn't. It might be an explanation for some UAP but we don't know until we do the work. Otherwise it is an assumption, an unfounded conclusion. So why wrap it all up inside "UAPs" and "aviation safety" if that's what you want to talk about? Oh I forgot, that's not what NARCAP wants to talk about:

"Please do not contact NARCAP to gain participation in programs that engage in speculation regarding extraterrestrial visitation and/or UFO as alien spacecraft. We do not know what UAP are and do not support any claim regarding incursions into the Earth domain by nonhuman intelligences. NARCAP reports and studies are not entertainment." ( NARCAP ). Again, that is our message to media productions and we offer no apologies.

But then again that's pretty much all I heard on the show. So again it seems readily apparent that NARCAP's image management strategy is to make itself seem more credible when talking about UFOs by distancing itself from the ufology community and introducing its own jargon, rather than stepping-up to the plate and adding its otherwise excellent work to serious ufology. That is the point I'm trying to make. Serious ufology has a hard enough time as it is without being eroded by those who should be our allies.
You want allies like us then meet standards that demonstrate adherence to the rules of science, stay behind the data instead of in front of it, don't say things you can't prove and do the work to build mainstream constituency in your field. And learn the facts about the rest of us.

No. I'm commenting using examples.

I meant mainstream as in common conception... because that's as far as most scientists are going to look at it.
Here's your direct quote:"Serious ufology has a legitimate history"
If I miscategorized it I apologize. I know what it is, and I've been through your impressive site and I have tremendous respect, so please don't take this the wrong way...

But for every well documented evidence-based case there are probably a dozen that are not. And that's the problem as far as science is concerned.

Agreed on all counts.

As I've had to learn in big business the hard way though, perception in society is reality. So managing perceptions is necessary.

I meant mainstream as in common conception... because that's as far as most scientists are going to look at it.
Agreed. But that doesn't change the fact that labeling ufology as pseudoscience is inaccurate, and if science insists on doing it anyway, then they are only betraying their personal bias rather than considering the truth of the circumstances.
Here's your direct quote:"Serious ufology has a legitimate history"
If I miscategorized it I apologize. I know what it is, and I've been through your impressive site and I have tremendous respect, so please don't take this the wrong way ... But for every well documented evidence-based case there are probably a dozen that are not. And that's the problem as far as science is concerned.
No need to apologize. This is a good discussion, and thanks for the compliment, AND you are also correct. But as I've had to point out time and time again to the so-called "scientific skeptics", science has also had it's share of frauds and less than honorable players, so if we want to get into finger pointing, then it can go both ways and neither of us will be any further ahead for the effort.

I advocate science in ufology when and where it can be applied by real and preferably independent scientists. However when that isn't possible, there are other tools we can use to move us toward the truth, and I know you're familiar with all that so I won't ramble on to much. But for Ted's sake ( assuming he's following the discussion ) I'll post this link:
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
As I've had to learn in big business the hard way though, perception in society is reality. So managing perceptions is necessary.
Interesting, and a valid point; which is why I think it's important for groups that can make a real difference to the perception of ufology as something to be taken seriously to weigh in with what they have to offer instead of hoisting anchor and leaving the rest of us to cope with the fallout. It's divisive when we need to be united.

Last edited:
Ufology said "Interesting, and a valid point; which is why I think it's important for groups that can make a real difference to the perception of ufology as something to be taken seriously to weigh in with what they have to offer instead of hoisting anchor and leaving the rest of us to cope with the fallout. It's divisive when we need to be united."
Weigh in where, with whom? Why should we absorb fallout we didn't create? How are you going to unite Ufology? Unite which groups? Exclude which groups? Got room for the "Galactic High Command" channelers and the Exopolitics conmen? Why should we stay and do what doesn't work when we have plenty of the best minds in the field who feel that our way is a good path?

with respect to critical thinking, I agree that there are a variety of approaches to the problem. We chose science and we are not going to change boats midstream. Critical thinking, logic is fine but you have to support it with evidence and facts and even a good logic stream can be factually wrong. Best to know the real facts and know when they aren't known and not risk misunderstandings or worse based on faulty beliefs.

Last edited:
We are not obligated to meet your standards. You might want to try and meet ours. A pilot has seen a UAP no matter what he personally might believe it is. We include witness descriptions and readers can come to their own conclusion. I am not needed to hold anyones hand and tell them what I think the pilot saw.
I'm not suggesting that you should tell individual witnesses what they should conclude or that you're obligated to meet my standards. Although, we can certainly discuss standards if you want.
As for your concerns about denial you might want to replay my interview. I was pretty clear about the potentials and some of my concerns. You haven't read our studies, you are unfamiliar with who we are and what we do. If you had then you would actually know what we think and how we present it.
I had to replay the key sections of the interview several times to get the exact quotes, and the quotes themselves are the evidence I did that. I've also been through the NARCAP material available online. That should be at least partially apparent by the quote from Nick Pope I found embedded in the PDFs. But, let's try to keep the discussion on the rails. I find NARCAP's material to be a cut above most of the work I run across, and NARCAP's work with the pilots cannot be commended enough; and it's precisely because of the great work and the potential for NARCAP to contribute positively to ufology, that it's so disappointing to see it distance itself from it.
We owe you, and ufology in general, nothing. There is no reason for us to abandon image management and objective work.
I'm not saying you should abandon your image management or objectivity. I'm saying that NARCAP 's strategy of distancing itself from ufology, to the extent of reducing the idea of alien visitation to mere "entertainment", for the express purpose of advancing NARCAP's own agenda, while at the same time taking advantage of the work done by ufologists past and present, and promoting the organization before the ufology community without making most of them aware of how they are being used, isn't something I can endorse.
We are addressing UAP as we see fit, within the scope of our work. Show me a definitive proof of ET incursions and we will reconsider our own position (which is clear in our documents that you haven't read.... read my paper on Spherical UAP, for example)
I'm looking at your paper now, and again the work being done isn't what I'm being critical of, although some of the cases ( like the photo of the jetliner in your article ), look remarkably similar to the effect I get here through my triple pane living room window, that cause the lights on approaching airliners to look like they are balls of light trailing the aircraft. I'm probably one of the most skeptical ufologists you'll ever encounter, but at the same time, I cannot deny the truth regarding alien visitation.

Last edited:
Ufology said "Interesting, and a valid point; which is why I think it's important for groups that can make a real difference to the perception of ufology as something to be taken seriously to weigh in with what they have to offer instead of hoisting anchor and leaving the rest of us to cope with the fallout. It's divisive when we need to be united."
Weigh in where, with whom? Why should we absorb fallout we didn't create?
That's just my point. NARCAP is creating fallout with it's anti-ufology strategy by reducing the idea of alien visitation to "entertainment", injecting it's own jargon which confuses the issue even more, and flip-flopping between an interest in classic ufology and "aviation safety" as primary motivations.
How are you going to unite Ufology? Unite which groups? Exclude which groups? Got room for the "Galactic High Command" channelers and the Exopolitics conmen? Why should we stay and do what doesn't work when we have plenty of the best minds in the field who feel that our way is a good path?
The answer is straight forward and simple. Instead of continuing with your an anti-ufology strategy that reduces the idea of alien visitation to mere "entertainment", and not even supporting discussion about that possibility, NARCAP should start taking a definitive stand for serious ufology and in doing so become a part of the solution. Rather than taking a quasi aloof "we're better than the tin-foil hat wearing UFO believers" approach and ignoring the collateral damage to serious ufology by lumping it in with that crowd, take a stand to help preserve serious ufology and the legacy of those who have come before us.

with respect to critical thinking, I agree that there are a variety of approaches to the problem. We chose science and we are not going to change boats midstream. Critical thinking, logic is fine but you have to support it with evidence and facts and even a good logic stream can be factually wrong. Best to know the real facts and know when they aren't known and not risk misunderstandings or worse based on faulty beliefs.
Science and critical thinking aren't mutually exclusive. Critical thinking takes into account all the evidence, including scientific evidence, and the scientific method itself relies heavily on the basic principles of critical thinking. However when valid scientific evidence isn't available, critical thinking can still help advance the seeker toward the truth. It also recognizes its own limitations, and therefore, contrary to your claim, it cannot lead to a factually wrong conclusion unless the "logic stream" ( to use your expression ) is somehow flawed or the seeker makes some erroneous leap of faith. That is the very nature of logic, and it cannot be changed. These are the standards to which I strive to adhere, so I'm not simply talking off the top of my head.

Anyway, this discussion was a long time coming, and I certainly appreciate the fact that you have engaged it to the extent you have. So please don't misunderstand my intent. NARCAP's work to bring pilots forward to report their experiences is fantastic. You are obviously an intelligent person with a sincere interest in the subject matter, and the field of ufology needs people and organizations that do exactly the kind of work you're doing. Too bad NARCAP has chosen to distance itself from that role. It would have made a great addition to the community.

Last edited:

I'm not suggesting that you should tell individual witnesses what they should conclude or that you're obligated to meet my standards. Although, we can certainly discuss standards if you want.

I had to replay the key sections of the interview several times to get the exact quotes, and the quotes themselves are the evidence I did that. I've also been through the NARCAP material available online. That should be at least partially apparent by the quote from Nick Pope I found embedded in the PDFs. But, let's try to keep the discussion on the rails. I find NARCAP's material to be a cut above most of the work I run across, and NARCAP's work with the pilots cannot be commended enough; and it's precisely because of the great work and the potential for NARCAP to contribute positively to ufology, that it's so disappointing to see it distance itself from it. Why should we bundle in with the New Agers and Exopolitics and all the rest of the nonsense?

I'm not saying you should abandon your image management or objectivity. I'm saying that NARCAP 's strategy of distancing itself from ufology, to the extent of reducing the idea of alien visitation to mere "entertainment", for the express purpose of advancing NARCAP's own agenda, while at the same time taking advantage of the work done by ufologists past and present, and promoting the organization before the ufology community without making most of them aware of how they are being used, isn't something I can endorse. My team is composed mostly of first generation researchers who have built their own bodies of work and who have built strong relationships with other researchers.... None of our work is derivative, we are responsible for the definition of UAP and have been since Haines and Hynek were associates and I take exception to your insinuations

I'm looking at your paper now, and again the work being done isn't what I'm being critical of, although some of the cases ( like the photo of the jetliner in your article ), look remarkably similar to the effect I get here through my triple pane living room window, that cause the lights on approaching airliners to look like they are balls of light trailing the aircraft. I'm probably one of the most skeptical ufologists you'll ever encounter, but at the same time, I cannot deny the truth regarding alien visitation.
Obviously you did not read the study or you would know that all the pics were taken out of doors, there is a series and most of the shots have to be zoomed in to even see the UAP.... and please read my imbedded comments...

That's just my point. NARCAP is creating fallout with it's anti-ufology strategy by reducing the idea of alien visitation to "entertainment", injecting it's own jargon which confuses the issue even more, and flip-flopping between an interest in classic ufology and "aviation safety" as primary motivations.

The answer is straight forward and simple. Instead of continuing with your an anti-ufology strategy that reduces the idea of alien visitation to mere "entertainment", and not even supporting discussion about that possibility, NARCAP should start taking a definitive stand for serious ufology and in doing so become a part of the solution. Rather than taking a quasi aloof "we're better than the tin-foil hat wearing UFO believers" approach and ignoring the collateral damage to serious ufology by lumping it in with that crowd, take a stand to help preserve serious ufology and the legacy of those who have come before us.

Science and critical thinking aren't mutually exclusive. Critical thinking takes into account all the evidence, including scientific evidence, and the scientific method itself relies heavily on the basic principles of critical thinking. However when valid scientific evidence isn't available, critical thinking can still help advance the seeker toward the truth. It also recognizes its own limitations, and therefore, contrary to your claim, it cannot lead to a factually wrong conclusion unless the "logic stream" ( to use your expression ) is somehow flawed or the seeker makes some erroneous leap of faith. That is the very nature of logic, and it cannot be changed. These are the standards to which I strive to adhere, so I'm not simply talking off the top of my head.

Anyway, this discussion was a long time coming, and I certainly appreciate the fact that you have engaged it to the extent you have. So please don't misunderstand my intent. NARCAP's work to bring pilots forward to report their experiences is fantastic. You are obviously an intelligent person with a sincere interest in the subject matter, and the field of ufology needs people and organizations that do exactly the kind of work you're doing. Too bad NARCAP has chosen to distance itself from that role. It would have made a great addition to the community.
What community? Greer? Webre? Salla? What are you talking about? Ufology is a wasteland with a couple of efforts of merit shining in the dirt. It cannibalizes its own, its all about ego and sensationalism... There is no "community", there is no one that we can partner with without lowering our standards....
And,again, our stance regarding UFO as entertainment is directed at the media and you constantly bringing it up as some kind of personal insult against ufology or you is ridiculous. We do not consider UFO, UAP or the suspicion of ET incursions "entertainment" and appearing on shows that treat it that way is unacceptable....

Back