• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Something beautiful for a change . . .

Ok so I write a post earlier about roswell and balloons, then we discuss spirals, I go to google and look up spirals on wikipedia and lo and behold I find a famous spiral at the International Balloon museum within a minute of looking!

image-4-spiral-jetty-photo-by-getty-conservation-institute1.jpg
/

Synchronicities. What does it all mean? I love the aerial image of the spiral jetty. Would like to have it printed out large and hang it on a wall.

Last edited:
RE: browser I have to go to bed now, but I will try to help tomorrow.
If I remember from before, you like to have a lot of tabs/windows open at once, it may be a question of bookmarking interesting pages, and managing said bookmarks so you don't put such a demand on your computer. i.e less open pages at once.
I will try to explain in more detail tomorrow.

Hi Constance, I am by no means an expert, but I would recommend the following:

Download and install the latest version of firefox.
It will probably ask you if you want to transfer your settings, and make firefox your default browser, say no to both.

Once installed, open firefox and set your homepage to google.com or your preferred search engine.

Now you need to open the bookmarks tab and create a new folder/s (you can have as many folders as you want) I would call it temporary bookmarks or something like that.

When you find a page that may be interesting, bookmark that page and put it in the temporary folder. Now close that page and continue searching, and repeat the process whenever you find a page you find interesting.

You can then organise the bookmarked pages into different folders, depending on the subject you are researching.

One of the reasons I have multiple tabs open is that I like to compare information directly, but this can be achieved by either cutting and pasting the text into a text document, or if it is a picture you can press the print screen key, and paste into an image program.
in terms of video there is "grabbing" software available (so you can download and watch videos in your own player rather than via your browser).

My understanding is that internet explorer can do all the things I have suggested, so if you don't want firefox it is not essential.

There are step by step tutorials that will explain how to do all of the things I have described, but they can be confusing at times, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. I will do my best to help.
There are a lot of computer experts on this forum, so ask them too.

Thanks so much for those recommendations, Han. I will try to follow suit. I used to use Firefox and it was still resident in my computer so last night, before calling the tech support group provided by my DSL server, I just opened it and clicked to make it my browser again. I see that you recommend not doing that and I can undo it. Is it a risk of some sort to use the Firefox browser? Things seem to be working well this way and Norton popped up a card saying it is safe to use it. I am so nontechnically oriented, even technology-resistent, that I'd prefer to just turn over your recommendations to a rescue tech to set it up for me. Re folders, I do indeed need to set them up in my bookmarks and also in Word. As a chronic procrastinator, I've avoided doing that for years and have a mass of material to sort as a consequence. I'm quite hopelessly disorderly in general. No excuses. Thanks. :)

Sorry I didn't mean to worry you regarding importing settings, it is just sometimes that you can transfer a setting problem across.
It also makes it easier to diagnose problems if you start with the default settings.

Here is a link to the Internet explorer how to: favourites/bookmarks:

How to manage your favorites in Internet Explorer 9

I am also disorganised by nature, and know from bitter experience how annoying it can be to lose a link to a good piece of information.

Here is a 40,000 (forty thousand) year old flute! I was lucky enough to see this and many other fantastically ancient artifacts a couple of years ago, it absolutely blew my mind.
flute.jpg

there are some other fascinating artifacts here:
The Sites of Geissenklosterle, Hohle Fels, and Middle Paleolithic sites in the Swabian Alb near the city of Ulm

I'd heard about that ancient flute. It's good to see it and I will be reading the material at your link. Contemplating the ancient past is preferable to contemplating the present and future for me. Especially in relation to what it reveals about human consciousness and creativity, core components of what human being is and signifies.

@Han, I listened to that excellent production of The Magic Flute on Friday and am by now tired of having passages of that opera playing in the back of my mind since, so I'm going to listen to Gianni Schicchi to lay some new mental-musical tracks. Here is the aria I first linked last week, by the child wonder, sung exquisitely by Renee Fleming. I'll post the whole of the opera as soon as I find the one I like best on youtube in case you or anyone else wants to hear it.

This is a very interesting and ramifying development, Han, from a purely scientific point of view. Unfortunately it magnifies the distance between specialized sciences and concern with the personal and political realities of the lives of aboriginal peoples in Australia, especially today. In a next post I'm going to provide links to information we all need to know concerning the real conditions of life of Australian aborigines and almost all indigenous peoples on the planet as the combined result of Corporate Capitalism, Imperialism, and Colonialism. These issues are coming to a point in Australia and also in Canada, where indigenous peoples have formed an alliance with the aboriginal people of Australia calling for legal action and worldwide protest.

Very interesting article ...

They also employ a rigid kin-based, cross-generational system of fact-checking stories, involving grandchildren, parents, and elders, which Mr Reid says doesn't seem to be used by other cultures.

I bet this isn't unique at all - the particular structure may be , but error correction, fact checking I bet is built into most oral traditions ... even the structure of the material as chants or involving rhythm and repetition obviously serves this purpose ... the person with the best natural ability to memorize this kind of material is selected to keep it as the "illui" in Hasidic Judaism. I imaginve this is all done in enormously sophisticated in ways that we don't have much imagination for as we are dependent on recorded information.

Another example is the Romani - the member of the Romani community, as I have heard it, that can read and write is not in an elevated position but is seen as a necessary person to interact with the outside world on mundane matters. Children are discouraged from learning to read or write as it seems to interfere with the ability to memorize information ... memorization is no longer a part of our educational process, so this seems very foreign to us - but is a basic survival skill.

@Constance
In a next post I'm going to provide links to information we all need to know concerning the real conditions of life of Australian aborigines and almost all indigenous peoples on the planet as the combined result of Corporate Capitalism, Imperialism, and Colonialism. These issues are coming to a point in Australia and also in Canada, where indigenous peoples have formed an alliance with the aboriginal people of Australia calling for legal action and worldwide protest.

I look forward to seeing that.

Very interesting article ...

They also employ a rigid kin-based, cross-generational system of fact-checking stories, involving grandchildren, parents, and elders, which Mr Reid says doesn't seem to be used by other cultures.

I bet this isn't unique at all - the particular structure may be , but error correction, fact checking I bet is built into most oral traditions ... even the structure of the material as chants or involving rhythm and repetition obviously serves this purpose ... the person with the best natural ability to memorize this kind of material is selected to keep it as the "illui" in Hasidic Judaism. I imaginve this is all done in enormously sophisticated in ways that we don't have much imagination for as we are dependent on recorded information.

Another example is the Romani - the member of the Romani community, as I have heard it, that can read and write is not in an elevated position but is seen as a necessary person to interact with the outside world on mundane matters. Children are discouraged from learning to read or write as it seems to interfere with the ability to memorize information ... memorization is no longer a part of our educational process, so this seems very foreign to us - but is a basic survival skill.

I think those are very important comparisons, Steve. If I remember correctly, the same practice is maintained in Vedic schools in which children learn and recite/chant very old Vedic oral 'texts'. Do you know if my recollection is correct?

@Constance
In a next post I'm going to provide links to information we all need to know concerning the real conditions of life of Australian aborigines and almost all indigenous peoples on the planet as the combined result of Corporate Capitalism, Imperialism, and Colonialism. These issues are coming to a point in Australia and also in Canada, where indigenous peoples have formed an alliance with the aboriginal people of Australia calling for legal action and worldwide protest.

I look forward to seeing that.

I'll try to get it done today. I have to copy the links over from my facebook page and some other pages maintained by the aboriginal activists in Australia. I only recently gained an understanding (from a member of that community who is a facebook friend of mine) of what's happening there today and the history of what's been done to these people by the modern PTB in Australia, which turn out to be illegitimate in legal terms. Of course, even if the white Australian and British PTB in Australia were 'legal' in terms of that colony's founding documents, the UN's positions on the repression and robbery inflicted on indigenous peoples there and elsewhere would -- in a rationally regulated world -- trump the interests of local structures of governmental and corporate powers. The "Stop Australia" movement could, if it becomes internationally understood, lead to widespread changes in the treatment of indigenous peoples everywhere. If there's any hope for global rationality and ethics in the present-day earth world.

Since not everyone here uses facebook I'm copying the following from one of the facebook pages devoted to the movement in Australia and Canada which needs to become worldwide.

"Shut Down Australia with Les Thomas and 24 others
May 13 at 7:52am · Edited
·
This is a call out for International sanctions against the Australian Mining industry and economy which is booming from the demise of Aboriginal People in Australia.

Mining Companies and the Australian Government are closing down Aboriginal Communities to make way for more mining.

The Communities that have already closed down have left Aboriginal People on the fringes of townships where many sleep in parks and get daily move on notices by local councils. There is no where for them to go.

Many are placed in jails and many die on the streets daily of unnecessary and preventable deaths.

Shut Down Australia is conducting a 60 minute Strike on the 1st June 2015 from 10:30 to 11:30 am.

We are requesting that all share holders of mining companies in Australia and particularly Western Australia, Northern Territory and South Australia remove their shares on Wall Street for the hour or longer to display their disgust in the treatment of Aboriginal People for Corporate profits.

Aboriginal People in Australia are the oldest living culture in the world and need your protection now.

The Australian Government have not been acting as a diplomatic Country but as a tyrannical Government.

Please help for Aboriginal Rights.

‪#‎ShutDownAustralia‬ 1st June 2015

Solidarity actions planned to date:

Vancouver in Solidarity with #SHUTDOWNAUSTRALIA
https://www.facebook.com/events/1664422730458861/
New Zealand ‪#‎SHUTDOWNNZ‬ in solidarity with #SHUTDOWNAUSTRALIA
https://www.facebook.com/events/356179287913108/
London! We won't stop until Barnett does! https://www.facebook.com/events/579725272170185/
Belgium, Europe have a solidarity gathering 1 June at Cafe Bizon in Brussels. Event notice coming soon.
Don't see anything for your area?
Well don't just sit there... start planning with your friends and family. ‪#‎GlobalSolidarity‬
Please post your solidarity events here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/373099299565713/
From Community members in SA.
We want people to take action on June 1st between 10:30 and 11:30.
Go on strike
Paint a slogan on a boomerang
Meet in a public place
Whatever you can do to show solidarity
60 minutes for 60000 years
Not a lot to ask?
Create a Facebook Event if you are willing to do a public gathering
Register: Register to Strike :: SHUT DOWN AUSTRALIA
Information on the global call of action see: https://www.facebook.com/events/373099299565713/
‪#‎60for60k‬

FYI: Mediatakeout Occupy Wall St. Occupy Wall St. Occupy Democrats Occupy Britain Occupy Germany Idle No More NITV NITV News Awaken Australia Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia Australians against Aboriginal Racism and Forced Land Acquisition Sovereign Union Redfern Aboriginal Tent Embassy Nyoongar Tent Embassy Brisbane Aboriginal-Sovereign Embassy Wikileaks Wikitree WikiLeaks Party Western Australia Wikipedia"

Shut Down Australia | Facebook

Last edited:
Back