• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Skeptic, Michael Shermer.., Not As?

Though a number of artists describe themselves as secretaries taking dictation or that they are operating as remote control scribes for the natural world.

page 81 of this thesis paper outlines my favourite living poet's concept of the glass machinery and remote control mechanisms: http://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/543/1/MQ43524.pdf

You might need to use your reptilian brain to fully access this discussion from his seminal work, Predators of the Adoration. His work is influenced by everything from linguistics and neurology to geology. In class he would often comment on the artistic process as something happening outside of yourself, something beamed to you, or how you became a medium that tapped into another flow of information that you could then coordinate and assemble for other humans to read and experience. I didn't really get this till it happened to me for a brief period, but as he suggested, intense emotional experiences often triggers this remote operation, hence the role of the muse.

1. Who is your favorite dead poet?
2. "didn't really get this till it happened to me for a brief period, but as he suggested, intense emotional experiences often triggers this remote operation, hence the role of the muse" - do you have any writing from this experience? It would be interesting to compare.

Though a number of artists describe themselves as secretaries taking dictation or that they are operating as remote control scribes for the natural world.

page 81 of this thesis paper outlines my favourite living poet's concept of the glass machinery and remote control mechanisms: http://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/543/1/MQ43524.pdf

You might need to use your reptilian brain to fully access this discussion from his seminal work, Predators of the Adoration. His work is influenced by everything from linguistics and neurology to geology. In class he would often comment on the artistic process as something happening outside of yourself, something beamed to you, or how you became a medium that tapped into another flow of information that you could then coordinate and assemble for other humans to read and experience. I didn't really get this till it happened to me for a brief period, but as he suggested, intense emotional experiences often triggers this remote operation, hence the role of the muse.

@Burnt, I came across this poet a few months ago and posted an extract from a description of his poetry with some extracts. I too found his poetry fascinating. I can't remember where I posted that material and can't find it through the search. It sounds as if you know Dewdney personally and attended a class with him. Would love to hear more about your impressions of him. You also write poetry?

@Burnt, I came across this poet a few months ago and posted an extract from a description of his poetry with some extracts. I too found his poetry fascinating. I can't remember where I posted that material and can't find it through the search. It sounds as if you know Dewdney personally and attended a class with him. Would love to hear more about your impressions of him. You also write poetry?

I remembers that post, Constance ...I'll see if I can find it.

Here is your post from the C&P.

Thanks for that excellent resource for internet reading about Stevens. I read several reviews posted there of books on Stevens's poetry, one of which led me via several searches to a reference to another poet whom I hadn't heard of before, a Canadian named Christopher Dewdney, whose poetry and prose ranges even further and more deeply into consciousness and mind than Stevens's did. Here are some extracts from a paper concerning this poet/thinker:

“Are not "novel configurations," as linguistic formulations, always already marked by the duplicities and governmental prohibitions of all language? Must the poems always dismantle themselves in order to prevent any single, targetable centre of meaning from appearing, in order to escape the governmental regimentation of language? When Lecker traces the binary opposition of Parasite-Governor through various poems, he decreases their charge of multiple meaning, and encloses them within a conceptual box, which unwittingly maintains the efficient operation of the Governor.”

“…That the twin cortices of speech and interpretation insidiously distort reality tacitly implies that two realities exist: an internal one and an external one. Dewdney also insists that the act of articulation transforms the world through language. Similarly, the elaborate analogy between a parabolic antenna and the induction of information into the mind that Dewdney constructs in "Parasite Maintenance", suggests that sensory data passes through the language cortex before reaching the mind. According to this model, language mediates between mind and world: "Metaphorical objects & models are precipitated by synesthesia into mimics of the very adjuncts to reality out of which the human perception arranges itself" (p. 137). We do not know reality but adjuncts to it that are conditioned by perception, language, and its corollary, interpretation. The external world then is a perceptually, linguistically and hermeneutically determined reality when it appears to human consciousness. The mind, hinged to the external world, exists at a liminal interface with the world of objects, and interprets the world through language. In Spring Trances,"the secret harmony of life unfolds in silence and without witness" (p. 59), but "there can be no highlights if there is no point of view" (p. 141) in The Cenozoic Asylum.The presence of a human consciousness always involves a point of view. The world might exist without human presence, but the world exists for us only as we construe it. Dewdney assumes a phenomenological via media between object and subject by delineating the interaction of perceptual consciousness with landscape, neither of which seems entirely autonomous.

Perhaps one should backtrack to A Palaeozoic Geology of London, Ontario in order to pursue some of the implications of the statements made in "Parasite Maintenance", and to "see" how some of those formulations devolve. The verb "to see" is used designedly here, for we use the verb of vision almost synonymously with the verb of comprehension, "to know". Although the empirical equation between seeing and understanding generally holds in A Palaeozoic Geology,Dewdney increasingly tests the validity of equating the two, most noticeably in Alter Sublime,just as he questions the tendency to correlate "sense" (one of the five senses), and "sense" (having meaning). Dewdney makes the ambiguity of the term explicit in "October" with a typographical joke: "I do not consider the waves empty/in your sense.(s)" (p. 115). The poem, "Glass", adumbrates an empirical stance, in which the senses attempt to make sense of the world:

GLASS

What is beneath benthos
is only hinted at.
Winter develops a pump in a forest clearing.
Each shadow is accounted for, the
fossil of a lady with
indefinite articles in her purse.
We cannot see around
the way through ourselves.
Every man finds his shaft
articulated, indefinite.

The mind is a cavity in which
sensitive plates, exposed to
unimaginable radiation
dance over blind flowers.

There is a cold hexagonal fire
in the insect's eye. (p. 27)

"Glass" is, I believe, a poem about the limits of object knowability as that knowledge is regulated by perception. What is beneath or beyond the surface perception of an object is only hinted at, because we apprehend only one surface, or visual horizon, at a time in our scanning of the world. The isolated position of "benthos" at the end of the first line reinforces the dichotomy of two dimensional surface perception, and the intuited three dimensionality of objects. Benthos, the flora and fauna that live at the bottom of the sea, hovers remotely beyond the reach of the eye. The spatial detachment of "benthos" from the line exaggerates the distance between percipient and the thing perceived. Benthos hints at its submarine presence, but because one cannot see it clearly, it is not readily understood. In this instance, seeing is believing. Similarly, the articles in the lady's purse insinuate their existence, but remain indefinite because they are not visually apprehended. "Each shadow is accounted for" by the objects that cast those shadows; however, a shadow, like a fossil, is a substanceless form. The image of a woman strikes the retina only as a two dimensional "fossil", as an image with a distinguishable shape, but not invested with the solidity of an object.

In "Fovea Centralis I", Dewdney uses a comparable metaphor, a tube, to define the two dimensional impression of visual data on consciousness: "Take the concept of linear time. Each three dimensional object projected along this linear axis would describe a kind of tube, its outline in some way exactly corresponding to the shape of the object" (p. 31). Fovea centralis — "that part of the retina with which we look at things. The point of attention on the retina itself' (p. 186) — witnesses the three dimensional object as a hollow shape, having form but no substance. Within "linear time", in the single act of observation, we see a two dimensional plane, possessing height and width. The image implies depth, but we do not see depth in the isolated moment of perception. The effect is photographic or filmic; one visually records the contours of the object, not the object in its three dimensional entirety. Our intuition of depth results from previous experience, by regarding the object from alternate perspectives, and summoning our memory of those alternative perspectives. The act of "recognition" is the act of knowing something again, of substantiating knowledge, of "re-cognizing". In Spring Trances, Dewdney claims that in linear time, only one image at a time strikes the eye: "Events occur linearly so densely they are viewed as simultaneous" (p. 60). In fact, vision articulates only one event or visual plane at a time to consciousness. In The Phenomenology of Perception, Maurice Merleau-Ponty argues that a "human gaze never posits more than one facet of the object, even though by means of horizons it is directed towards all others."23 That is, at one moment of time, we perceive only that plane which appears before us; we apprehend the object as "real" when "it is given as the infinite sum of an indefinite series of perspectival views in each of which the object is given but in none of which it is given exhaustively."24 It requires the presence of a synthesizing consciousness to assimilate these perspectives, and to confirm to itself the authenticity of the object. The lady in "Glass" is therefore both a fossil and a lady, a substanceless form when perceived synchronically, that is, in linear time, yet also an identifiable entity when perceived diachronically, through the lens of memory. One presumes there are articles in her purse, because memory, the repository of perceptual experience, dictates that there should be articles there. The articles remain indefinite, however, because they are not perceived. On the other hand, given Dewdney's sense of humour, one should perhaps not absolutely discount the possibility that "indefinite articles" also signifies a grammatical part of speech.

The subject-dependent enterprise of perception preoccupies Dewdney in "Glass", but he also asserts that the outside world does in fact exist. The precise division between subject and object may oscillate, but the position that Dewdney adopts is not a Berkeleian one, in which matter has existence only when it is reconstructed in the mind of the viewer. "We cannot see around/the way through ourselves", because the corporal self exists as a spatial object. The phrase juggles the cliché of "seeing through someone", which presumes a corporeal transparency, and a visibility of the mind and its intentions. In this case, the mind obstructs sightlines: either we cannot see around our ways of seeing/understanding, which assumes a tangibility of mind, or we cannot penetrate through the amorphous, invisible shape of our mental constructs, precisely because of their lack of substance, and unlocatability.

The "articulated, indefinite" memory shaft of every man resonates with Dewdney's formulation of experiential memory as "fractionally communicable and chronologically ephemeral." The "articulated, indefinite" shaft also remembers the "indefinite articles" in the lady's purse, and "the shafts / by which we remember" in "The Memory Table I" (p. 19). The shaft, cutting vertically through sedimentary limestone strata, recurs in Dewdney's poetry as a metaphor for the accumulation and stratification of memory. This may partially explain the cryptic presence of a pump developed by winter in a forest clearing in the first stanza of "Glass." {my comment: it is Heidegger’s Lichtung, but extended backward in time through aeons of experience prior to our own but which ours must somehow retain and whose phenomenological meaning becomes pronounced in our evolved consciousness and mind: life and perhaps non-living systems deep in natural evolution have always been aware of and have expressed the interaction of subjective and objective properties in being.}

The second stanza of the poem arrests the mind in the moment of apprehension, by detailing the interaction of mind with world. The mind, though reliant on and interconnected with the brain, exists as a "cavity." Like a fossil, it has no tangible substance, yet is confined to the cranium.25 Almost painfully, the mind exposes itself to the perceptual encoding of experience; the "unimaginable radiation" of sensory data indelibly imprints itself on the mind, as the atomic metaphor suggests. If the focus of the second stanza is steadfastly fixed to a perceptual and mnemonic interior, and the flowers in the external world are "blind," implying a lack of perceptivity, the third stanza abruptly enlarges perceptual horizons by calling attention to the "cold hexagonal fire / in the insect's eye." This eye, endowed with life, presumably has its own, and different, experience of the world. The insect's eye counters the human eye, and opens up another perspectival range within "Glass." The recognition of alternative, non human ways of seeing unbalances the privileging of human perception and consciousness implicit throughout the poem.

"Glass" revolves around the problematics of object knowability as that cognition is regulated by perception. Only the sensory can conduct us to an apprehension of the world; what is beneath is only hinted at because the unassisted eye cannot penetrate to the bottom of the sea, nor, for that matter, can it pierce indefinitely into the cosmos. The limits of perception circumscribe the frontiers of understanding. The glass (an eye? a telescope? a microscope? the mind?) through which we glimpse the world permits cognizance, but that glass also divides us from the objects of our scrutiny, and carefully curbs understanding. . . ."

The Dream of Self: Perception and Consciousness in Dewdney's Poetry

1. Who is your favorite dead poet?
2. "didn't really get this till it happened to me for a brief period, but as he suggested, intense emotional experiences often triggers this remote operation, hence the role of the muse" - do you have any writing from this experience? It would be interesting to compare.
1. Dylan Thomas, of course. He was sheer genius in his cycles of creation and destruction, but i do find his self-induced alcoholic death coma to be a major embarrassment and indicative of his own mental health issues. He was in touch with another side. But Sylvia comes a close second especially for her final poems written while she was on fire. She definitely had tapped into that other world in that last week. Her output of incredibly strong pieces in such a short period of time tells us she was the phoenix writhing in the flames - just couldn't find her way out of it I suppose. I have an incredibly large special space in my heart for another Canadian, Gwendolyn MacEwen because of the shabby way she was treated as an artist - brilliant, but broke and suicidal, working on a cash register? That's no way for one of our exceptionally inventive poets to have to live, and so she chose not to one night. Here's a piece for all the many passionate explorers on this forum, especially Constance, one of the great seekers posting here.

Dark Pines Under Water
Gwendolyn MacEwen

This land like a mirror turns you inward
And you become a forest in a furtive lake;
The dark pines of your mind reach downward,
You dream in the green of your time,
Your memory is a row of sinking pines.

Explorer, you tell yourself, this is not what you came for
Although it is good here, and green;
You had meant to move with a kind of largeness,
You had planned a heavy grace, an anguished dream.

But the dark pines of your mind dip deeper
And you are sinking, sinking, sleeper
In an elementary world;
There is something down there and you want it told.

2. hmmm....that material is on a medium i no longer have an ability to read, in fact i'm not even sure if i could find our old 3.5'' floppies anymore. The drives are all smashed in land fills. most of it was written for someone else, the portion i produced for university publication and classes was printed out somewhere, including some handmade books but i wouldn't even know where to begin looking for that material. what i do know is that i was much more interested in inventing my own reality through language than i am these days - without the inner tension, it's hard to be a writer. Look at Faulkner, Woolf, Hemingway, MacEwen - they all suffered terribly and made the work for as long as they could. When i'm writing i'm usually dealing with stuff that's just too difficult to process in the real world, or stuff i have a sudden burst of real connected affection for, and such things are fleeting these days. work to do and stuff.

1. Dylan Thomas, of course. He was sheer genius in his cycles of creation and destruction, but i do find his self-induced alcoholic death coma to be a major embarrassment and indicative of his own mental health issues. He was in touch with another side. But Sylvia comes a close second especially for her final poems written while she was on fire. She definitely had tapped into that other world in that last week. Her output of incredibly strong pieces in such a short period of time tells us she was the phoenix writhing in the flames - just couldn't find her way out of it I suppose. I have an incredibly large special space in my heart for another Canadian, Gwendolyn MacEwen because of the shabby way she was treated as an artist - brilliant, but broke and suicidal, working on a cash register? That's no way for one of our exceptionally inventive poets to have to live, and so she chose not to one night. Here's a piece for all the many passionate explorers on this forum, especially Constance, one of the great seekers posting here.

Dark Pines Under Water
Gwendolyn MacEwen
The Shadow-Maker. Toronto: Macmillan, 1972

In an elementary world;

2. hmmm....that material is on a medium i no longer have an ability to read, in fact i'm not even sure if i could find our old 3.5'' floppies anymore. The drives are all smashed in land fills. most of it was written for someone else, the portion i produced for university publication and classes was printed out somewhere, including some handmade books but i wouldn't even know where to begin looking for that material. what i do know is that i was much more interested in inventing my own reality through language than i am these days - without the inner tension, it's hard to be a writer. Look at Faulkner, Woolf, Hemingway, MacEwen - they all suffered terribly and made the work for as long as they could. When i'm writing i'm usually dealing with stuff that's just too difficult to process in the real world, or stuff i have a sudden burst of real connected affection for, and such things are fleeting these days. work to do and stuff.

He taught me first year creative writing. I had given up music to become a writer. Steve from Barenakedladies was in that class with me and invited me to join the band when it was in its infancy. But i wanted to write....Dewdney's occasional second half of class over martini's in the Ansinthe pub on campus were legendary. I was a devotee of his writing for many a year - just a brilliant self-referential poet who has swallowed up all of the earth's geological history in its writing, imaging a quantum reality where humans fuse with nature's technology and the poetry that describes such places and spaces - loved his entire Natural history of southwestern ontario ritual text is truly a monumental work - right up there with William H. Gass' canon, both exploring that world underneath the one we see.

Radiant Inventory
Christopher Dewdney
Radiant Inventory. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1988.

The world has become
a spectacle of absence,
a radiant inventory.
The sunlight that falls
on the margin of the lake
nurtures a deficit
in its clarity, its violence.
These waves are items are
a description of themselves
in discourse with their changes
thought time. The sand
is a finite texture of
self corruption. Everything
interpenetrating, extensile,
at once continuous and discrete.
This sunlight both sustains and erodes
the luminous surface of matter
the precise miracle of life.

Now that I have been opened
I can never be closed again.
The reflection of the sun on the waves
is a shining path to the horizon
a dazzling lucent shuttle
of unknowable complexity.
A cloud over the sun
momentary camera obscura.
And as I move towards resolution
the world abandons its detail
in a theatre at once dark & light
where life is a kind of joyous shade
a shadow over the sun
a dark radiance.

Dewdney was an exceptional writer and teacher in my first year creative writing class - probably my most influential teacher. Second half of classes that met on occasion in the Absinthe pub were legendary. He introduced me to so many exceptional writers. In his class Steve from BareNakedLadies was just starting to form the band and invited me to join as keyboardist, but i wanted to become a writer. However, i had neither the monastic discipline nor the passionate dedication to be a writer. i liked eating, and personal comforts and that kind of thinking works against art making. Wish i had stuck with film and animation though...

Dewdney was brilliant and grew up in the household of canada's greatest geologist, his dad, and was surrounded with the foremost minds of the time every day, with the Elora Gorge as his backyard he became multidisciplinary pretty early on - at one point he even brought his wife back into the world of communication and language following serious brain trauma, that was before their divorce. Like many great artists and brilliant folk he is better known for the person he was as a writer though, instead of the person he is in the world. it's better to leave it at that.

Last edited:
He taught me first year creative writing. I had given up music to become a writer. Steve from Barenakedladies was in that class with me and invited me to join the band when it was in its infancy. But i wanted to write....Dewdney's occasional second half of class over martini's in the Ansinthe pub on campus were legendary. I was a devotee of his writing for many a year - just a brilliant self-referential poet who has swallowed up all of the earth's geological history in its writing, imaging a quantum reality where humans fuse with nature's technology and the poetry that describes such places and spaces - loved his entire Natural history of southwestern ontario ritual text is truly a monumental work - right up there with William H. Gass' canon, both exploring that world underneath the one we see.

Radiant Inventory
Christopher Dewdney
Radiant Inventory. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1988.

The world has become
a spectacle of absence,
a radiant inventory.
The sunlight that falls
on the margin of the lake
nurtures a deficit
in its clarity, its violence.
These waves are items are
a description of themselves
in discourse with their changes
thought time. The sand
is a finite texture of
self corruption. Everything
interpenetrating, extensile,
at once continuous and discrete.
This sunlight both sustains and erodes
the luminous surface of matter
the precise miracle of life.

Now that I have been opened
I can never be closed again.
The reflection of the sun on the waves
is a shining path to the horizon
a dazzling lucent shuttle
of unknowable complexity.
A cloud over the sun
momentary camera obscura.
And as I move towards resolution
the world abandons its detail
in a theatre at once dark & light
where life is a kind of joyous shade
a shadow over the sun
a dark radiance.

Dewdney was an exceptional writer and teacher in my first year creative writing class - probably my most influential teacher. Second half of classes that met on occasion in the Absinthe pub were legendary. He introduced me to so many exceptional writers. In his class Steve from BareNakedLadies was just starting to form the band and invited me to join as keyboardist, but i wanted to become a writer. However, i had neither the monastic discipline nor the passionate dedication to be a writer. i liked eating, and personal comforts and that kind of thinking works against art making. Wish i had stuck with film and animation though...

He sounds like a gifted teacher; that kind always bring the world closer to us. I think it would be hard to go from music as passion/occupation to writing (which is such a solitary life, oneself and the blank page). Re film and animation, never too late to pursue those when the children are grown up. :).

Dewdney was brilliant and grew up in the household of canada's greatest geologist, his dad, and was surrounded with the foremost minds of the time every day, with the Elora Gorge as his backyard he became multidisciplinary pretty early on

No wonder he was so aware of and interested in the stages of the earth's life before humankind began its steady degradation of it, and general indifference toward it. Reading his poetry is like time travel into the deep prehuman past with a guide who misses nothing on the way. His poetry celebrates the whole of physical reality in its evolution through layers of time and change. He manages to be as present to all of that as he is to his own encounters with the natural world in the present. Tonight I read the sample provided at amazon from a book I then ordered, and recommend it here:

e2789fd7e2ba6696de5ddf91b5e5d1f3.jpg

This one Steve would enjoy - some of his early poetic pieces.

The most important thing Dewdney did for me as a young writer and seeker inside language was to introduce me to Djuna Barnes. That was lfe altering.

djuna-barnes-passport-photo-1929.jpg

“I talk too much because I have been made so miserable by what you are keeping hushed.”
― Djuna Barnes, Nightwood

“The unendurable is the beginning of the curve of joy.”

“I have been loved,' she said, 'by something strange, and it has forgotten me.”

“Our bones ache only while the flesh is on them.”

“You beat the liver out of a goose to get a pâté; you pound the muscles of a man's cardia to get a philosopher.”

“To think is to be sick...”

“We are but skin about a wind, with muscles clenched against mortality. We sleep in a long reproachful dust against ourselves. We are full to the gorge with our own names for misery. Life, the pastures in which the night feeds and prunes the cud that nourishes us to despair. Life, the permission to know death. We were created that the earth might be made sensible of her inhuman taste; and love that the body might be so dear that even the earth should roar with it. Yes, we who are full to the gorge with misery should look well around, doubting everything seen, done, spoken, precisely because we have a word for it, and not its alchemy.”

Last edited:

Dark Pines Under Water
Gwendolyn MacEwen
The Shadow-Maker. Toronto: Macmillan, 1972

In an elementary world;

That is a fine poem. I'm sorry her life was so hard. It seems you knew her too. Dylan Thomas, irreplaceable. I've never read much of Sylvia Plath. My favorite 'dead poet' is John Donne. I still feel like Stevens is here. Thanks for the nice comment.

Hearing about your literary activities in college reminds me of my college days. I went through those years with a band of English-major friends, also great teachers. We published a literary magazine for years. I remember all those poets and scholars, most vividly one Hopkins enthusiast always high with the poetry, reciting it in the snow to whoever would stand in the cold and listen. I'd happily go back and do all that again.

Thanks for that link and all the connecting links to his other works at the bottom of that page. He's an amazing poet. I want to read it all.

I'd really like to see a thread on this or PM - if you both have time/interest ... I don't know how to fully appreciate or approach this (and other modern) poetry .... Constance you've helped with Stevens ... it's a good opportunity with you and Burnt State

I'd really like to see a thread on this or PM - if you both have time/interest ... I don't know how to fully appreciate or approach this (and other modern) poetry .... Constance you've helped with Stevens ... it's a good opportunity with you and Burnt State

We could do that, probably in a thread of its own. I think Burnt should take the lead since she knows this poet's work so well. :)

From 1997:

Salvo Magazine: The New Religion of Computer Consciousness by Leslie Sillars - Archives

"For most transhumanists, the highest value is progress. "We have only one direction to go and anything that stops that is bad," says Dewdney. Others, such as Nick Bostrom, a philosophy professor at the London School of Economics, are satisfied with an ethical system that is "tolerant" and balances competing interests."

"Cliff Joslyn, a researcher at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, is one of the authors of the Principia Cybernetica Web, a site devoted to developing transhumanist philosophy. He believes that the decline of traditional religions offers a chance for "cybernetic immortality" to "take the place of metaphysical immortality to provide the ultimate goals and values for the emerging global civilization."

... decline? ... historical naivety?

"Most transhumanists concede that the gap between the elite transhumans and those who reject these technologies will generate serious political instability, perhaps even chaos. But it is considered a necessary risk—and, anyway, progress is inevitable. Marvin Minsky, an MIT media researcher and well-known transhumanist, noted with alarm in a 1994 Scientific American article that many people reject transhumanist ideals and are "resigned to die. Might not such people be dangerous, who feel that they do not have much to lose?"

... political, social and psychological naivety? Of the kind associated with lamp posts and defenestration?

"Ironically, Dewdney suggests that a transhuman society may need to adopt an "arbitrary moral framework" to prevent a slide into anarchy. "What if, oddly enough, Christianity turned out to be such a system?" he asks. He says he considered mentioning this possibility in his book, but did not because the idea is just "so speculative and so wild."

Nietzschean naivety?

I can't believe Dewdney would think this a wild idea ... not based on his intellectual background, so
I'm sure some of what's in this article is out of context ...

but then Minsky's GOFAI did fail as Dreyfus said it would - based on Heidegger's ideas ... and some strains of Transhumanism/Extropianism do seem naive and fundamentalist ...

But the article does lay bare the goals behind the movements:

Immortality
Control over nature
Control over "self"
Faith in linear if not exponential progress

I think its a good thing to look hard at any religion's soteriological and apocalyptic dogma and, in this case, it's Creation Myth.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here are two versions of a Dewdney writing produced with @Burnt State 's cut and paste technique ... the Dewdneyness of it seems to survive the treatment:

"Wooden alveoli erect & fragile in the rarefied air of October, leaves frosted glass rock chapel orange & red. The sky no longer enclosing us. The filters removed there are desperate dreams in this woodlot. The airplane's engine blossoming into clarity & not enclosed. Eels are pulled from the canal. Even the planets are motile, hoary with diamonds above the chiming sunset. She swims alone & naked in a clear October lake. A white building stands free & O the spirits look dimly out from there.

"Wooden alveoli erect & fragile, blossoming into glass rock chapel orange and red clarity. The filters removed in the rarefied air of October, leaves frosted and not enclosed. The sky no longer enclosing the airplane's desperate engines; dreams here in this woodlot. She swims alone & naked in a clear October lake. Even the eels are motile and hoary when pulled from the canal. The planets are white buildings with diamonds standing free and above the chiming sunset. O the spirits look dimly out from there."

In a way that the Dylan Thomasness if this:

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. "

Would not.

So what makes the difference?

Structure, narrative - of course but also a sense that the next word is inevitable ... no other word choice or order would do in the Thomas poem?

And this inevitability lends itself to memory and recitation in a way that seems unimaginable for Dewdneys poem?

Some of Thomas is not that different from Dewdney. If you read Dylan's ark poem which is the prologue to his own best of compilation you'll see some interesting language games at work. You can see a mirroring in that poem of linguistic fragments. Dewdney just doesn't spend much time in traditional rhythms or rhyme schemes which do lend themselves to memory. His approach is a little more complicated. He felt properly designed poems should be able to be read forwards and backwards, line at a time, and it should sill make sense. You can see that in his "radiant inventory" poem above. His writing is often called an incestuous textual canon, as often one book is a guidebook for how to understand another book, to aid in understanding symbology, pathways, the roles of nature, weather, history, time, linguistics, philosophy etc..

One text, Permugenesis, he called a recombinant text as it was created through a double helix process of splicing various sentences together from different passages of his previous work to make a whole new text. Quantum theory paradigms are also great ways to help understand his poetics. He always begins his Natural History texts with a first person narrative of a tornado - again, the poet perceiving order in chaos - Thomas does this for me too.

Reading Dewdney in order has value as the pathways for the reader are defined somewhat in succession, though he would say you could jump in anywhere and adapt. He has some very interetsing ideas about how meaning gets made through language and between sender and receiver. I felt language had limits. He felt a good writer with enough command of the vocabulary should be able to express any idea possible (yet his own artwork and collages are throughout his texts). The best way I found to think through his work came from this Canadian Lit guru who taught a 4th year course on that focus, and he established this "field theory" approach. Words in Dewdney's writing often have multiple meanings and so when juxtaposed, a good reader would have to patiently assemble various meanings across the text in order to perceive Dewdney's intentional versions of order and creation.

You both would love this book for its investigations in consciousness and perception. It's the text that marks his major shift towards an emphasis on transhumanism, though the poetry would continue to flow, his prose writing about The Last Flesh and movements towards an inevitable human future, the creation of A.I. would establish themselves more prominently. That's what Dewdney felt we were here on the planet to do, to make a new artificial life, as if the planet itself was someone else's science experiment.

41k5fa-dNdL._SL500_.jpg

From an online summary of The Secular Grail - which is a nice closing to notions of coincidence, finally a link back to this thread's origins. Dewdney loved synchronicity as it represented the poet's Immaculate Perception, or Radiant Inventory, the perceiving of an order in the eye of the tornado.

"Short prose fragments speculating about the character and modifications of consciousness in a number of contexts—in the hyper-communicative environment of the city, in the intimacy of the social relationship, in the acts of dreaming or remembering, in neurosis. There is an emphasis on the notion of strangeness in the work: Dewdney claims, for instance, that the city makes us strangers to the natural world, and that the fictions we tell about ourselves make us strangers to our real selves. Dewdney’s style reflects the theme of strangeness: he comments on familiar experiences, but makes them unfamiliar by conceptualizing them in a manner reminiscent of Roland Barthes or Marshall McLuhan; he employs technical language and analogies from science and psychoanalysis; and he discusses strange experiences—the hallucination, the ghost, the uncanny coincidence."

I would be a bad choice to start that thread as I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be writing curriculum right now and not stealing time for engaging dialogue here. It would be in fits and starts only. In fact I was never here. I am a ghost.

Last edited:
Back