• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

sigh the return of the birthers...

Free episodes:

Keep telling yourself that, and get ready for 4 more years of the guy you love to hate! It's pretty telling when you resort to name calling right off the bat that not only are you the uneducated one, but you also have no legitimate argument.
Name calling adds nothing to the debate!

RNLA's New Voter Fraud Map Provides Little Evidence Of Voter Fraud

December 12, 2011 11:30 am ET — Julia Krieger

voting.jpg
Last Friday, the Republican National Lawyers Association (RNLA) unveiled what they suggest are game-changing numbers on voter fraud, claiming in a press release: "NAACP Has It Wrong: Map Presents Evidence of Nationwide Vote Fraud Convictions & Prosecutions." A subtitle boasts, "46 States Have Charged Individuals With Vote Fraud In The Past Decade." The press release directs people to a website with the RNLA's "evidence."
But the grand total of alleged voter fraud cases listed on RNLA's website is — drumroll please — 311.
For perspective, the total number of votes cast in the 2004 presidential election alone was 122,295,345. In 2008, that number was 131,313,820.
What's more, the RNLA is dishonestly representing their data when they describe it as "in the past decade": A quick gander at the website's evidence shows citations going as far back as 1997. Although they claim to have evidence of 46 states with voter fraud prosecutions in the last decade, their website only lists 44 states. For two of those 44, there are only examples from the 1990s up to 2000, bringing the state count down to 42. To be clear, that's eight states where they identified no instances of voter fraud in the last decade.
Further, the RNLA brags: "The RNLA webpage presents evidence that there were at least seventeen cases involving prosecutions for non-citizen voting in 2005 just in one state: Florida." However, according to the Department of Justice, at least four of the seventeen cases they list were dismissed.
Misleading claims like these are nothing new for Republicans, who have spent a great deal of time and energy talking up the specter of voter fraud. But investigations into the matter have invariably concluded that true voter fraud is "extraordinarily rare" — much like the data dug up by the RNLA suggests.
Yet Republicans routinely introduce legislation purportedly designed to combat voter fraud, even though those measures usually have a greater impact on preventing legally eligible voters from making it to the polls than they do in keeping illegal voters away.

So, not only are there very little actual cases of voter fraud, when you look at the RNLA's website to see exactly who the people are committing these crimes, it's hardly ever illegal alien voters. The vast majority of cases they list are voter registration fraud, convicted felons voting, vote buying, or absentee ballot fraud (which voter ID will do nothing to fix) I think their evidence speaks for itself, all this talk about rampant voter fraud and illegal alien voting blocs is total and utter baseless crap. The real objective is to keep the poor and minorities out of the voting booths so they can somehow try to wrangle their candidate into office. :rolleyes:

Colorado is a battleground state, so naturally it appears as though many voters (apparently younger voters and many female voters - you know, the ones who tend to vote for Democrats) have been purged from the rolls. This was supposedly only done to those who didn't vote in the 2010 elections but complaints are occurring even from those who have never missed an election.

I would therefore encourage all American citizens reading this to PLEASE go to
Election Protection · You Have the Right to Vote

and register to vote, even if you already have registered and/or voted in the past. It give a form that needs to be filled out and mailed no later than 29 days prior than the election, which means we have very little time. I'm telling all of my friends, especially those who live in Colorado, to please do this and not take any chances. I hate to see my state turn into another Florida or Ohio.

Daily Kos: Attention Colorado Voters

Lol, I find that hilarious. First of all, he's not the first person to suggest that they were once contemplating the idea of divorce, someone else wrote about it in a book and the response from the White House was that it was a bunch of BS. Second, if this is true, who gives a flying shit? More than half of this country has been divorced at least once, why would it matter at all? Trump himself is a two time divorcee' so why is that OK for him, and not OK for Obama? Here's hoping Donald Trump has a heart attack and falls face first into the lap of an older gentleman at a board meeting while his awful wig falls onto the floor. Nothing of value would be lost.

As a rule I am very suspicious of most conspiracy themes .. unless, of course, there is a whole lot of supporting data. But please do not try to tell me that voter fraud is rare ... it is not. I am also not assigning any particular party or factions of parties to fraud ... but it is "OUT THERE".

Here is a video that a friend sent me this early AM .. take it for what it is worth. But, once more, I am aware that voter fraud is alive and well.

Registering Tim Tebow and Tom Brady to Vote in Minnesota - YouTube

Decker

Decker, rather than worry that Tim Tebow (or Mighty Mouse) will somehow materialize to vote in more than one place, doesn't it make more sense to worry that one candidate's family are major investors in company that has the actual (notoriously faulty) voting machines? Which do you think is more likely to subvert democracy?

Voting machines in the critical states of Ohio and Colorado are owned by a company that has extensive connections to the Romney family. Oh, and the same machines will also be used in Texas, Oklahoma and Washington.

Truth out reports:

Through a closely held equity fund called Solamere, Mitt Romney and his wife, son and brother are major investors in an investment firm called H.I.G. Capital. H.I.G. in turn holds a majority share and three out of five board members in Hart Intercivic, a company that owns the notoriously faulty electronic voting machines that will count the ballots in swing state Ohio November 7. Hart machines will also be used elsewhere in the United States.

In other words, a candidate for the presidency of the United States, and his brother, wife and son, have a straight-line financial interest in the voting machines that could decide this fall’s election. These machines cannot be monitored by the public. But they will help decide who “owns” the White House.

Read more: Company Linked To Romney Will Count Votes In Ohio, Colorado | Care2 Causes

To be fair, you can also read what Snopes.com has to say, though you should read the entire article. While they admit that Romney's son doesn't (directly) own the machines, it does admit that the company's co-founder did once work at Bain and has been a major contributor to Romney's campaign and much more.

As a rule I am very suspicious of most conspiracy themes .. unless, of course, there is a whole lot of supporting data. But please do not try to tell me that voter fraud is rare ... it is not. I am also not assigning any particular party or factions of parties to fraud ... but it is "OUT THERE".

Here is a video that a friend sent me this early AM .. take it for what it is worth. But, once more, I am aware that voter fraud is alive and well.

Registering Tim Tebow and Tom Brady to Vote in Minnesota - YouTube

Decker

When the RNLA can't find more than 400 cases total in the last 10 years, it is rare. Period. It's also meaningless when you consider that there were 131,313,820 votes cast in the last election. So, even if all 400 cases of fraud happened during the last election, which they didn't, it would have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the outcome. Nobody is saying it never happens, just that it doesn't happen often enough to be any kind of significant factor in deciding the popular vote.

Leave it to The Onion to get Trump's announcement spot on:

Trump Announces He's A Very Sad Man

NEW YORK—In a blockbuster announcement today, Donald Trump announced that he is a very sad man who has nothing to live for other than drawing attention to himself. "I'm a sad, pathetic human being and a complete waste of life," said Trump, adding that he lives an empty existence, and that he is nothing more than a corporate shill, as well as a failed husband, father, and human being. "I am the piece of shit you stepped in on your way to work. I am the vomit that hurls out of your mouth when you are sick. I want to kill myself very badly. Thank you." Trump then slit his throat from ear to ear.

pickles said:

Uneducated voters like yourself are accounted for in the strategy-making process. It's all good.​
Muadib said:Keep telling yourself that, and get ready for 4 more years of the guy you love to hate!
Boy did I call this one or what? Goodnight sweet Mormon prince. Obama FTW!

What i find odd is you voted on a tuesday, when many people have to go to work.
Down here we do it on saturdays.
Voting is compulsory down here too, but its only a 20 dollar fine if you dont do it.

What i find odd is you voted on a tuesday, when many people have to go to work.
Down here we do it on saturdays.
Voting is compulsory down here too, but its only a 20 dollar fine if you dont do it.
Mike, there's been a movement to allow election day as a paid holiday so that more people can vote - but there are also those interests who do not want to see a higher percentage of people voting. Generally speaking, the more people vote, the more liberal the results. This is simply because the poorest among us who are working 2-3 jobs and other working class people are usually the ones who cannot vote because it means taking time off from work, assuming they'll even be allowed the time off. They also tend to vote for more liberal politicians and causes.

Some states have worked around this by allowing absentee (mail) ballots and/or early voting. Speaking from personal experience, I voted two weeks ago simply to avoid long lines and possible complications on election day. I also handed in my housemate's absentee ballot at that time. My brother in Oregon was telling me that they did away with election day polling and conduct all elections with absentee ballots, which can either be mailed or dropped off at certain locations.

Still, we saw in Florida and Pennsylvania that conservative lawmakers chose to cut back on early voting hours or prevent it altogether. They specifically stated this was to limit the vote and hand those states to Romney. You will find that the more conservative states tend to have the shortest voting hours and few if any early voting days.

It sure is. Facebook has been hilarious today, so many Republicans crying and talking about how it's the end of the world as we know it. Mmmmmm, I can taste their tears.

I read Trump's twitter, what the hell is he talking about? Every source I can find has Obama winning the popular vote so far. I bet he wasn't throwing a temper tantrum when Bush took the presidency by winning the Electoral College vote while losing the popular vote. What a douche he is.

Back