• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

September 18, 2016 — Shop Talk with Gene, Chris and Goggs

I was supposed to be getting "up to 5 mbps upload but I'm only getting around .52 mbps, and the Internet providers here are hard to deal with. I may be switching from Shaw to Telus.
Of course, it's not that ISPs will necessarily credit you for getting a tenth the speed you're promised. But that explains why we had a few glitches with you, but not as bad as Chris.

Yes he'll see it!

Don't worry, I'm not at all full of myself and always welcome polite, constructive criticism. I've never been a professional radio/podcast speaker and I only do it occasionally to help out really, often like the other day, at the last minute a guest pulls out and we are literally just making it up as we go, so I'm not surprised when trying to contribute, the mind wonders, or gets there slowly, I usually don't know what my final point is going to be, so I just meander! I'm not shy about public speaking and I'm happy if I can contribute the odd nugget. My friends know me as someone who talks too much so there you go!

I thought you landed some really insightful points, I didn't really notice or care at what speed they were delivered. The thing with quality is..... it's worth waiting for :)

I thought you landed some really insightful points, I didn't really notice or care at what speed they were delivered. The thing with quality is..... it's worth waiting for :)

Cheers. I'm totally cool with the fact that in life, none of us will ever be universally liked and even we no doubt really irritate some people, whether we warrant it or not.
Existential is well within his rights to let us know his views on guests or hosts etc, it's obvious he doesn't like me one iota and that's fine, you can't win em all and all listeners can choose which shows they listen to and which shows they don't.
If I understand him fully, he thinks all my appearances are of the same low standard so I'm not sure why he is still bothering to listen to any show I happen to be on?

Cheers. I'm totally cool with the fact that in life, none of us will ever be universally liked and even we no doubt really irritate some people, whether we warrant it or not.
Existential is well within his rights to let us know his views on guests or hosts etc, it's obvious he doesn't like me one iota and that's fine, you can't win em all and all listeners can choose which shows they listen to and which shows they don't.
If I understand him fully, he thinks all my appearances are of the same low standard so I'm not sure why he is still bothering to listen to any show I happen to be on?
Hey there Goggs. I don't see any evidence that you're not liked. For what it's worth, I think we all ( and I rarely make absolutist statements ) we all like you, and it might just be the case that it's because you are liked that the constructive criticism was offered. I appreciate being informed when I need to find a tooth brush or am driving for miles with one turn signal on and my fly undone ( Somehow I always think people driving with their turn signals on unnecessarily probably also need to do-up their zippers ). So FWIW I certainly like you and I think that if you were to take the criticism in the spirit in which it was offered, you might improve your public speaking and feel even better about that too :).

I think everyone veers off now and then. Compared to Micah Hanks (who I like), Goggs is the embodiment of brevity.
Dang! If Goggs is overly-verbal and takes too much time to overstate a point, what do you call what I do? Gene is constantly coming back from break embarrassing me by asking the guest to "...please answer the LONG question that Chris just asked..." sheesh, tempest in a frick'in tea-pot, Goggs is doing a really good job. If he wants to make shorter answers, great, if not, that's OK w/ me...

I think Goggs is pretty much the nastiest paranormal person I've heard. He's up there with Preston Dennett and Kevin Randle. As I might have mentioned before, Micah Hanks is a horrible person and Walter Bosley killed JFK.
I'm not going to "like" that yet regardless of the fact that I'm having convulsions of laughter ... LOL.

Last edited:
Dang! If Goggs is overly-verbal and takes too much time to overstate a point, what do you call what I do? Gene is constantly coming back from break embarrassing me by asking the guest to "...please answer the LONG question that Chris just asked..." sheesh, tempest in a frick'in tea-pot, Goggs is doing a really good job. If he wants to make shorter answers, great, if not, that's OK w/ me...

Dude! Goggs has a standing invitation to stay at my house any time he wants.

FWIW, I respect Gene's experience. He's a cut above the vast majority ( including Noory IMO ), but personally, I don't mind it when you get into a bit of a rant. You're very expressive, and for me, you add color and evoke interest in the show. I think this is a bit in contrast with Micah and Goggs who ( and forgive me here ) might be seen as rambling in a sort of stream of consciousness manner that might leave some listeners wondering where the point is ( sometimes ). I'm not perfect either. I know I tend to be rather dry and could improve my presentation skills as well. But I love being on the show and my attitude is that if I can adapt my approach to make it more enjoyable for the audience, I'm more than happy to do so :cool: .

Last edited:
FWIW I don't mind it when you get into a bit of a rant. You're very expressive, and for me, you evoke interest in the show. I think this is a bit in contrast with Micah and Goggs who ( and forgive me here ) might be seen as rambling in a sort of stream of consciousness manner that might leave some listeners wondering where the point is ( sometimes ). I'm not perfect either. I know I tend to be rather dry and could improve my presentation skills as well. But I love being on the show and my attitude is that if I can adapt my approach to make it more enjoyable for the audience, I'm more than happy to do so :cool: .

Wait until you experience my presentation. Think of Micah Hanks without the articulateness. You're very clear in your presentation, which is the most important thing.

Am I the only one waiting to hear from Goggs how many people need to be in the room to share your birthday!,Gene cut him off before the reveal.

Shorter, to point, yes.

It's funny that my family often make jokes that I talk way too much, it's not that I have so much to say for all ears, I also don't like the sound of my own voice like many other people, but I do quite like talking, rambling and all.
Some people do math in their heads quickly, others need to do it longhand etc and I happen to be a person who often meanders without a map hoping to stumble at a new destination - bring out the whip, 40 lashes for you Mackay..

Last edited:
Back