• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

San Luis Valley Experiences Sighting Events

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
San Luis Valley Experiences Sighting Events

The first reports come from a longtime SLV skywatcher, the second detailed report(s) were witnessed by members of the San Luis Valley Camera Surveillance Project.

For the past two years a team of independent investigators (in conjunction with Orange County MUFON) have been planning a seven-camera surveillance set-up to monitor Colorado’s San Luis Valley. In October 2011, the first of these cameras became operational in the center of the SLV at a base station location near Hooper, CO. These cameras are hi-rez Sony surveillance cameras with 36X optical zoom and can be operated remotely over the internet.

On December 30, 2011 we had our first unusual sighting event that was recorded for analysis.

“December 31, 2011 @ around 8:30 PM. My wife and I watched a rare light show! The lights were Emerald green with a boomerang shape... This is the second sighting we have seen this past week... both happened here near Center, Colorado. A lot has been going on [in the San Luis Valley] this past week... If you are still investigating I am still keeping an eye in the sky. I am now armed with a video camera.”

Two of our team members, Wayne (an amateur astronomer) and Andrew (an electrical engineer) shared the following sighting events that were recorded:

“Tonight [at 2236 PST, Friday 12/30/2011] may well have been the most dramatic UFO sighting of my life. Although I've had a couple of sightings, I can explain them away by mundane means. This one was being recorded in RealShot manager while both Wayne and I (and my 11 year old daughter) watched the live feed from the Hooper camera - and it was awesome.

“Wayne confirms, via playback, that the recording is solid…Here's what happened:

“Wayne called me to announce that there was some funny business going on around 2236 PST, Friday 12/30/2011. A bright object had split in two and the independent parts had gone their own way. I got my camera feed up a few minutes later and I (later) determined that we were now observing Mars (I recommend pbs.org sky chart for this - free and no registration). Nothing untoward for me to see myself. Just a few minutes later at 2303 PST the event occurred. Note this is from memory for now. A very bright object (WAY brighter than Mars) entered frame left and traveled within a couple of seconds horizontally across to exit frame right. Cruise velocity was constant. We almost didn't see it as it was almost off the top of the frame. The direction was pretty much directly east, towards the Great Sand Dunes… The elevation was estimated to be at about 45 degrees or perhaps lower. Did not have visibility of the Blanca massif. Zoom was nominal - about 3 bars on the control. No FAA lights or other identifying signs of anything other than a bright light. We were running MPEG4 at 30 fps, and there was no slow shutter or other light/time integration enabled. So what we saw was pretty much realtime.

“The noteworthy characteristic was that three times it stopped dead and left a bright blob behind directly where it had stopped, and then immediately restarted. No deceleration to a stop was noticeable, and neither was any acceleration back up to cruising speed. It just stopped on a dime for an instant to leave its blob, and started back up immediately. So the final image in my mind was a row of three bright equidistant blobs and this thing racing off towards the south, exit frame right. The blobs faded out, having remained in place, within a couple of seconds, maybe less.”

The following day, two “jet black Blackhawk” helicopters were reported headed down the Rio Grande river (north to south). Normally, military choppers fly south to north in the SLV, so this flight path appeared somewhat unusual. Later that evening we had the green bolide event that was witnessed by many across the southwest.

Just a helicopter dropping flares, y'know. They can stop without deceleration now. No wait - it's a natural phenomenon, Mars hiking the heavens and dropping little...thingies now and then.

Nah, just kidding. Man, I envy you guys. There's nothing like that happening around here like ever. I think I have to move to Hessdalen, Norway or the San Luis Valley.

Thanks for the update and thanks a lot for the amount of effort and financial means you invest in this. Much appreciated.

I have the feeling these kinds of observation projects are about to be recognized as the serious scientific work they are. Maybe more scientists are going to look into this soon and start to officially recognize the phenomenon. Here in Germany, even the Hessdalen project is unknown to most people and/or made fun of by main-stream scientists and media.

We are still figuring out the best way to get a live SLV camera feed up on the Paracast...Anyone out there able to help out with this?

OK, have to ask you Chris....can we please see the video?....
I'll post it as soon as I break out my PC. I can't download on my mac. There was a History Channel film crew here all day & I'm super busy until Sat,
so I don't have time to post the three clips until sometime Sat. Patience...

Looking forward to it, Thanks Chris.
Ive had a little look at how to embed live feeds into web pages, Its doable, but there are drawbacks including aforementioned bandwidth. It strikes me as easier to create a YT channel for the project and upload the good bits and post links.
Though i understand why you want to post live feed

this forum might be useful

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57625

and their wiki has a decent pile of advice
http://wiki.videolan.org/Windows#VLC_Plugin_for_Firefox_.28Mozilla.29

Update:
The January 1st sightings seen across the SW USA (three calls from the SLV) were detected by the NASA's Fireball monitoring array. The first two of three events detected and recorded by the SLV camera array have been analyzed and we think that the jumping motion (and subsequent ball of light left behind) were due to low bandwidth from the router which resulted in an slight interruption in the upload flow of data. We are confident that the first event was probably a flight headed from the Front Range into Alamosa/Bergman field. One witness (driving north from San Luis, CO) happened to see the flight turn on its landing lights, and reported it as unusual and we think this aircraft was what was captured by the camera, while experiencing the low bandwidth which made it jerk, etc. We haven't yet been able to ID the source of the second event, but we think intermittent upload speed was also what caused the visual anomalies.

The third event however may be anomalous--the jury is out-- we're still analyzing this clip. I'll check with the team and get the OK to post all the clips.

Note:
Maybe this was a good lesson for me about how and when data should be released after it has been thoroughly analyzed. I suppose I should listen to Ray more closely and follow his example...(?) :)

Thanks for that Chris. To comment on the release of information. I wouldn't worry about it. The live feed idea is great, but in the meantime updates such as this are fine. The SLV Project is a commendable effort and none of us are expecting miracles ... keep living the dream ... we're with you.

Thanks for that Chris. To comment on the release of information. I wouldn't worry about it. The live feed idea is great, but in the meantime updates such as this are fine. The SLV Project is a commendable effort and none of us are expecting miracles ... keep living the dream ... we're with you.
Thanks, I REALLY appreciate that! I can't wait to get a LIVE feed up on several sites so that dozens? hundreds? thousands? of real-time viewers can help monitor the coverage area and log timecode/event data for review. We are closing in on detection of motion and subsequent tracking protocols, masking out known light sources and we are solving cross-platform server feed problems, etc,. Thanks for your patience everyone---its coming, slow but sure... :)

As long as it takes to do it right I suppose Chris is by far the main thing. No point in doing it half-assed so someone has cause to dismiss it before it really gets going!
We are all being patiently impatient cos we respect what's happening but want it yesterday!
Over the years I've been round a fair part of the US with work and vacations but never just to do with paranormal/ufo stuff but i've often thought where would I go in the States if I hoped to maybe see something - and for quite a while now (due to yourself) i'm thinking SLV!
But maybe once the camera project is up and running online I won't need to visit - i'll do it online!

Back