• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Quicktime

Free episodes:

drtisdale

Paranormal Novice
:mad:I don't know about the MAC would these day, but QT for PCs is an evil program. Why did you change to the QT onlt archive format?

drtisdale said:
:mad:I don't know about the MAC would these day, but QT for PCs is an evil program. Why did you change to the QT onlt archive format?

No, QuickTime is not evil on either platform. The standard archive format remains MP3, except for the version in the playback window, which is a standard .mov sound file.

All we did, by the way, was make the playback of the latest show optional instead of automatic, and turn of "kiosk" mode, which now lets you save it from the playback window. None of that should impact any other aspect of the show or our archives. In other words, nothing has been taken away from you.

Gene Steinberg said:
DBTrek said:
. . . but Quicktime is still evil.

:p

How so?

By being a harassing app of little value just below the category of Malware IMO. Media players are a dime a dozen and nearly every modern PC regardless of OS is equipped with one. Yet any time I try to upgrade my version of iTunes I'm forced to install Quicktime as well. This means I have to spend time uninstalling quick time as soon as iTunes has upgraded.

Furthermore, QT will embed itself in the registry and eat clock cycles by checking for QT updates online without notifying the user. Most people remain unaware of this until a pop-up appears notifying them that "A QUICKTIME UPDATE HAS BEEN FOUND, DOWNLOAD NOW?"

It then becomes apparent that a Windows user is going to have to launch msconfig, disable the qttask manager at startup, and begin the process of prying the little bugger out of his system.

All this hassle because Apple wants to force their rather mediocre media player on the masses.

I just want to use Apple's good software (iTunes), not their lame stuff (Quicktime).

DBTrek said:
Gene Steinberg said:
DBTrek said:
. . . but Quicktime is still evil.

:p

How so?

By being a harassing app of little value just below the category of Malware IMO. Media players are a dime a dozen and nearly every modern PC regardless of OS is equipped with one. Yet any time I try to upgrade my version of iTunes I'm forced to install Quicktime as well. This means I have to spend time uninstalling quick time as soon as iTunes has upgraded.

Furthermore, QT will embed itself in the registry and eat clock cycles by checking for QT updates online without notifying the user. Most people remain unaware of this until a pop-up appears notifying them that "A QUICKTIME UPDATE HAS BEEN FOUND, DOWNLOAD NOW?"

It then becomes apparent that a Windows user is going to have to launch msconfig, disable the qttask manager at startup, and begin the process of prying the little bugger out of his system.

All this hassle because Apple wants to force their rather mediocre media player on the masses.

I just want to use Apple's good software (iTunes), not their lame stuff (Quicktime).

It's the second most popular media player on the planet.

Your objects are silly, compared to all the other crap you run in a Windows box routinely.

Gene Steinberg said:

Hmmmm . . . so if that fact indicates something it follows that Windows being the #1 OS in the world would also indicate something.

Your objects are silly, compared to all the other crap you run in a Windows box routinely.

My PC is pretty well streamlined and tailored to my tastes. There are no unwanted processes running or wasted clock cycles that I'm aware of. Keeping the PC in this state takes some work . . . which is why I take exception to QuickTime trying to hitchike in on the back of every Adobe and Apple product I may want to install.

DBTrek said:
Gene Steinberg said:

Hmmmm . . . so if that fact indicates something it follows that Windows being the #1 OS in the world would also indicate something.

My PC is pretty well streamlined and tailored to my tastes. There are no unwanted processes running or wasted clock cycles that I'm aware of. Keeping the PC in this state takes some work . . . which is why I take exception to QuickTime trying to hitchike in on the back of every Adobe and Apple product I may want to install.

QuickTime is an industry standard, and that's why Apple (the inventor) and Adobe use it when it's required for various functions to work.

the only problem i ever had with Quicktime was the lack of a full screen play feature in the free version, but even thats been addressed now :)

I would just like to hijack this thread for a second, since this was mentioned briefly already, and thank you for discontinuing the automatic episode play! It always annoyed me since I check in several times a week and am often listening to something else (usually work related) when I do!

DBTrek said:

Agreed. It also hijacks Firefox's mp3 settings. I always set Firefox to download (rather than play) an mp3 link, but when QT installs it sets it to auto play in an embedded QT player... and all this despite mp3 being removed as a format that I'd like QT to handle during its installation process.

Frozen E.T. Burrito said:
DBTrek said:

Agreed. It also hijacks Firefox's mp3 settings. I always set Firefox to download (rather than play) an mp3 link, but when QT installs it sets it to auto play in an embedded QT player... and all this despite mp3 being removed as a format that I'd like QT to handle during its installation process.

Well, that's sounds peculiar, because the file that our embedded player uses is not MP3, it's a QuickTime MOV file. Maybe that explains what's going on here. That's done for proper streaming of the audio file. The ones you download are true MP3 files, however.

I use a PC laptop to run a few proprietary programs I use when writing for certain clients... I have Quicktime on it, but not iTunes, so I use RealPlayer as my MP3 player of choice. I also have another installed specifically to handle files for my daughter's hand me down RCA Lyra (old MP3 player). I use Firefox as well. When I download MP3s or play them from a website, I do not get any QT launch at all. That is weird. Is it possible that something else you have added to Firefox did this?

However, it does try to get me to download iTunes, which just does not seem to run as well on this old laptop, whenever I update QT. That is lame.

Gene Steinberg said:
the file that our embedded player uses is not MP3, it's a QuickTime MOV file. The ones you download are true MP3 files, however.

Yessir, though I'm not referring to this site... the issue I have is just in general. I will have a fresh install of XP, install Firefox and then at some point QT. As soon as I install QT (and uncheck EVERYTHING but .mov files in the file handling settings) I can go to any random site and if there is a link (not embedded, just a raw link) to an mp3 file I can click it and rather than getting a pop up box asking me where to save it (or if I'd like an app to open it), it opens a new tab with a blank white page and an embedded QT player in middle until I go to the Firefox content settings and change it manually back to what it was before I installed QT.

It didn't used to do that till the last couple of releases, but I've LONG been annoyed by QT always installing a tray icon and setting itself up to auto start with Windows, and also having the update checker that I have to manually get rid of, and having to tell it not to auto open the annoying little QT content browser every time QT is started.

It really is an annoying piece of work, and if I could ever get a decent alternative that would work with embedded .mov's I would never use it again.

Also, I too would like to add my thanks to you Gene for setting the player on the main page to not auto play... it needed to be done, though I always forgave you for it whenever I had to deal with it!

Back