• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Olav Phillips — July 13, 2014

DaveM

Paranormal Adept
This was a hard interview to swallow. Olav Phillips was juking around trying to avoid some questions posed to him. When he said he doesn't like to name names of suspect UFO researchers because he likes to be everyones friend...Please spare me! He also said this was one of the toughest interviews he had. I guess he was expecting a bunch of softball questions. I can't say I learned too much from Phillips. It was mostly speculation on his part, not much evidence.

Last edited:
This was a hard interview to swallow. Olav Phillips was juking around trying to avoid some questions posed to him. When he said he doesn't like to name names of suspect UFO researchers because he likes to be everyones friend...Please spare me! He also said this was one of the toughest interviews he had. I guess he was expecting a bunch of softball questions. I can't say I learned to much from Phillips. It was mostly speculation on his part, not much evidence.
You cannot always know what you're getting. His credentials seemed decent enough, but his knowledge of some key issues is restricted to casual research. That may work on some shows, but not here. I always wonder about guests who know less than a host. If he expects hard questions, we only got started. :)

He seemed like a nice guy. A little too agreeable when the questions got tough :D

Everyone in the UFO field gives the German Horton brothers way, way too much credit for their flying wing technology. Jack Northrop was way ahead of them. Look at the YB-35 of 1946. Or the YB-49 of 1947. Full scale intercontinental bombers. The Horton's jet design only flew for a handful of hours. The first one flew only 2 hours and killed the pilot. In an era before fly by wire, and no computer assisted controls. A tailless aircraft was just incredibly unstable. Northrop used the clever placement of the conventional props to fight against this. In his YB-49 he had to add strakes and vertical control surfaces. The best lifting body designer ever was Vincent Burnelli. His designs flew for decades and had excellent flying characteristics. He was an eccentric genius, and his own worst enemy.

The Burnelli Controversy | History | Air & Space Magazine
Flying wing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
jack northrop flying wing - Google Search
German flying wings
Things With Wings - To fly or not to fly: Burnelli Lifting Fuselage

I found it telling that when Chris asked him his thoughts on cattle mutilations, Phillips hem-hawed all over the place. I started losing interest at that point.

That happened to me when he implied that the "nordics" had been germans and the writing on the Kecksburg object might have been nordic runes to "imbue it with supernatural powers". Jeez. I didn't know that being a conspiracy theory expert meant that you have to be totally uncritical of them all.
Well, at least it was funny sometimes. In a sad way.

Last edited:
Thanks Han!

WWKIRK - BTW, off topic but related: are Mars photos with buildings supposedly taken from NASA a reality or a fantasy? If fantasy, is it pareidolia? I am curious because one of the hot ufo researchers in Brazil says he has all these images of buildings in Mars he took from the NASA site. If he is another nut case, oh boy, the UFO field is worse than I thought! Or we are a bunch of skeptics! LOL

Oh no, those are definitely buildings; it's just that we don't recognize them as such due to our limited conceptions of architecture. For example these are standard fantastic habitats:
La+Planète+Sauvage_10.JPG

The other issue is that you can blow up almost anything in a NASA photo and convince yourself of all manner of things proving apartment buildings on Mars, observation posts on the moon, the face of Elvis, pyramids and spires all can manifest themselves when you apply enough low resolution to the problem.

Before we find habitats on the moon you might want to check out the SyFy Channel's doc about aliens on the moon first. That will certainly have some classic moon imagery.

Last edited:
Thanks Han!

WWKIRK - BTW, off topic but related: are Mars photos with buildings supposedly taken from NASA a reality or a fantasy? If fantasy, is it pareidolia? I am curious because one of the hot ufo researchers in Brazil says he has all these images of buildings in Mars he took from the NASA site. If he is another nut case, oh boy, the UFO field is worse than I thought! Or we are a bunch of skeptics! LOL
Do you have a link to any of these alleged photos?

Han
Alternative 3 is a charm.The 70s aesthetics, and the bad acting being my favorite parts. Something one should not miss. Definitely not a catalyst for conspiracy theories. Too cute!
What did you think of it?

It probably says a lot about my sense of humour, but I thought that "Alternative 3" was so bad that it was good! ;)

I think one of the questions I didn't hear on the show was "Where is your evidence for thinking X, Y and Z" or "Why do you think this is the case?" I think we got a lot of opinions and conclusions without an explanation of how he arrived at his conclusions.

He seemed like a mini Joseph Farrell to me (i.e. a less knowledgeable version).

Olav came across as a nice enough guy but he was out of his depth really. It didn't take much to expose his shaky knowledge. I didn't get any sense he was up to anything or making stuff up etc but really I think he is an interested amateur and nothing more. At least he came on the show even expecting it to be tough and compare this with some 'names' in the field who absolutely love the sound of their own voices, yet mysteriously (or not) refuse to appear on a show that gets all the 'names' worth their salt.

i kind of wished chris hadnt interrupted the guest so much. i also thought that instead of concise questions chris kind of went on too long, not giving a chance for the guest to answer. i think that chris and olav were on the same page on some things and that it wasnt apparent to chris. maybe not the best guest but i feel he was mishandled during the interview. it all could have been handled with a little more grace.

Back