• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Official funny stuff

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am posting this here because it is funny from an engineering point of view... Can you spot the problem with this lift?

The answer is load distribution... four point lift with a Train! you have got to be joking.. I fly big PA systems and this would be like doing it off one lift point.. bad bad idea I use two as I get load spread, for example I am lifting a ton of Pa into the air then I use two one ton motors which means I have a huge safety margin. If I have to use a span set I have them rated well above what I would need.. These guys should have used an eight pint pickup and I expect they did and should have know better..

Let me explain: What is holding the train up are what we call "span sets" and you should always stick to the 3 to 1 rule when lifting heavy loads so out of simply safety the lift should have been done as a four point pick up with the same rated spans all around giving you this margin. The load is then spreads across four points creating a bigger pick up area as far as load distribution is concerned... it is not rocket science but just plain common sense. I saw where is broke and it was right were I expected it to.

To add to this I watched about a week ago a prefabricated steel roof grid lifted into place and these guys did it as an eight point lift and I expect it weighed far less than that train.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back