• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

NASA photo captures strange bright light coming out of Mars

"A more serious source of this light, said blogger Phil Plait, is that "a subatomic particle smacked into the camera, leaving behind its trail of energy."
Sounds reasonable, as it's a real effect that has been documented.

Otherwise, going for a more creative explanation, I'd say it looked like a geyser!

628x471.jpg

close-up

cant be volcanic activity, theres no smoke, there should be some smoke even on mars shouldnt there ?.

bio luminance means life, artificial means life, its a puzzle at this moment to me.

edit

"A more serious source of this light, said blogger Phil Plait, is that "a subatomic particle smacked into the camera, leaving behind its trail of energy."
Sounds reasonable, as it's a real effect that has been documented.

Otherwise, going for a more creative explanation, I'd say it looked like a geyser!

any examples jimmy, phil plait isnt my cup of tea.

Martian incinerator. The rover is going to rattle over there and discover the dump where the Martians drag all of the crashed probes that Earth has sent their way. "Earth robots go home and take your trash with you!"

any examples jimmy, phil plait isnt my cup of tea.

Sure, here's an article with an image, it also includes astronaut reports of seeing 'flashes' while in space. (There was one much talked about NASA/UFO documentary, I forget the title, which described these flashes as a seperate UFO phenomenon.)

‘Seeing’ Cosmic Rays in Space

Was it only on one frame? In that case, it's the most likely explanation imo.

Martian incinerator. The rover is going to rattle over there and discover the dump where the Martians drag all of the crashed probes that Earth has sent their way. "Earth robots go home and take your trash with you!"
That - or we are seeing a massive Earth bong, errr, Mars bong in heavy use!

yes i knew about cosmic rays in the retina jimi, and on film they are only captured on one frame, martin stubbs had examples fom his 4000 + hours of raw shuttle footage.

he also found another strange phenonomenon, i will link to it later, [racing is in full swing at mo]

I follow Electric Universe theory, so I speculate it's lightning.

EU theory is fun because they ridicule the evermore insane gyrations and wacky explanations standard academic cosmology must invent to maintain their orthodoxy.

Example: NASA shoots a projectile at comet Temple 1 and astronomers scramble to generate all manner of silly explanations for the "unexpected" result.

Last edited:
im still thinking about this one jimi.

see cosmic ray hitting lense would be in one frame only, that light is in the full camera sweep of the region.
it was static, it stayed in one place in the landscape, i mean if the light was in the lense longer than one frame, it would be in a fixed position on the lense, and follow the sweep of the camera over the region, giving the appearance of the light travelling from one point to another.

so im having difficulty 'getting it'.

see cosmic ray hitting lense would be in one frame only, that light is in the full camera sweep of the region.
it was static, it stayed in one place in the landscape, i mean if the light was in the lense longer than one frame, it would be in a fixed position on the lense, and follow the sweep of the camera over the region, giving the appearance of the light travelling from one point to another.

Excellent point

Being totally flippant now, its a spot light outside the cinema where the premiere of the movie when earth attacks was being shown on opening night.

Sadly the audience rated it a B movie, the critics panning the depiction of the earthilings, " no being could be that ugly" screamed the headline in Martian tabloids

Being serious now, this is why we need a personed mission to mars, nothing beats the human observer in situations like this.
A number of people are happy to volunteer me to be on the first mission, but only on the provision its a one way trip

Ka boom boom tish......

Last edited by a moderator:

Like I said, if it's one frame.

Do you know that the camera swept and captured 8 images? What if it's 8 instances of a single image that is zoomed gradually, by cropping?

I think it's just one image, but if you find out it's not, please tell.

Last edited:
Being serious now, this is why we need a personed mission to mars, nothing beats the human observer in situations like this.
A number of people are happy to volunteer me to be on the first mission, but only on the provision its a one way trip

Ka boom boom tish......
I don't see why a human observer would be better in this case. If it's something other than a particle or a camera artifact, they can just steer the Rover in the right direction, - and it wouldn't run out of oxygen on the way.

I don't see why a human observer would be better in this case. If it's something other than a particle or a camera artifact, they can just steer the Rover in the right direction, - and it wouldn't run out of oxygen on the way.

A human observer wouldnt be subject to the cosmic ray on the lens issue, One of the shortfall of robot observers is we can always write off the image to a technical glitch, lense flare etc etc.

Plus i'll be honest i really want to have lived in an era where my species walked on other worlds than that which we spawned on

I can live without flying cars, and my own experiments with the paperless toilet were a disaster (i still walk with a limp when its cold)

But i really had high hopes of seeing humans personally explore some of our closer neighbours, i kept a scrapbook of clippings from the Viking I and II days, and really thought i might get to see us walk there in my lifetime

Mike, were you around when Voyager was big news in the Planetariums, and one had to journey down to them or some science center, to watch the video coming in? I remember Voyager pretty well, the photos slowly coming in from the top down, frame by frame. It was at a college planetarium and I wasn't anywhere near junior high school, not to mention college age. It felt like being in the center of everything. That photo of the Io volcano started as big news locally and went global pretty quickly, for those times. Exciting to witness.

Mike, were you around when Voyager was big news in the Planetariums, and one had to journey down to them or some science center, to watch the video coming in? I remember Voyager pretty well, the photos slowly coming in from the top down, frame by frame. It was at a college planetarium and I wasn't anywhere near junior high school, not to mention college age. It felt like being in the center of everything. That photo of the Io volcano started as big news locally and went global pretty quickly, for those times. Exciting to witness.

Yes i was, Viking was 76 Voyager 77. It was an exciting time to contemplate that upturned bowl we call the sky, under which we live and die.

i watched armstrong take his first step on the moon, along with several of my young aunties and uncles, most still in their teens, maybe just early 20s.

Back