• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

NASA, Black Budgets, Man on Moon/Mars & Science

... where should the funds go?

The greed is what astounds me.

I'm forced to subsidize local Football Games. People should pay for their own entertainment.

I'm forced to subsidize the local, small airport. Rich people should pay for their own hobbies.

The rhetorical gymnastics to justify forcing others to pay for your hobbies and interests are amazing.

I enjoy gardening. I could generate a thousand justifications as to why my garden is a "public good", but you won't see me lobbying to force others to pay for it.

What kind of personality changes?

What current literature exists seems to shifts in cognitive awareness undergone by astronauts in near earth orbit as well as those who have visited the moon. But whatever is going on seems most obvious by examining the lives and personalities of Apollo astronauts both pre and post Apollo. Edgar Mitchell is not the only lunar voyager to undergo changes in personal values and social behaviors, just one of the most public.
For example, Neil Armstrong became something of a recluse. Buzz Aldrin (self-admittedly) suffered bouts of clinical depression. Charlie Duke became a very proselytizing fundamentalist Christian, giving public presentations for a while. James Irwin spent considerable time and resources in search of the lost Noah's Ark. Alan Bean changed his focus and apparently some of his pre-Apollo peer group to devote time to painting scenes of the Lunar surface, some of which contain elements of the surreal. The word that might best describe these pragmatic test pilots' post Apollo view of the world might be "esoteric".

Overview effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Overview Effect: Astronauts' Unique View of the Earth and What We All Can Learn from It - The Overview Institute

Back