• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Multiple Videos of Spherical Craft in the night sky

Free episodes:

More planes, birds, satellites, and vague lights off in the distance. I don't see any UFOs. Interesting project idea though. Maybe someday something really amazing will happen and it will get captured on video.

More planes, birds, satellites, and vague lights off in the distance. I don't see any UFOs. Interesting project idea though. Maybe someday something really amazing will happen and it will get captured on video.

You're entitled to your opinion. By the way, I never said they were UFOs. I identified them as 'spherical craft'. But while I 'got you on the line', could you tell me what you think of one specific video clip? It's an object that I've called #4, and a link to it follows. Because I don't think it fits your description of a "vague light off in the distance". That's why I would really like your take on it. Thanks.

You're entitled to your opinion. By the way, I never said they were UFOs. I identified them as 'spherical craft'. But while I 'got you on the line', could you tell me what you think of one specific video clip? It's an object that I've called #4, and a link to it follows. Because I don't think it fits your description of a "vague light off in the distance". That's why I would really like your take on it. Thanks.
Assuming that the images in segment 4 aren't something fabricated, what we appear to be looking at is a magnified night vision view of yet another vague light off in the distance, probably a very high flying aircraft, balloon, or satellite reflecting the Sun, and as is often the case with objects that are at that distance, the light appears to be spherical. The object itself however may not be. The secondary light that fades into view happens in conjunction with the brightness increasing as the larger object's reflection reaches it's peak, and it fades away in the same manner, leading me to surmise that it is some sort of artifact ( e.g. lens flare ).

But don't get me wrong here. I think it's pretty cool that people are out there capturing video of the night sky hoping to catch a UFO in their sights, and it is even possible that some of the objects captured are UFOs, but since we have insufficient information, we cannot make that call. I would highly recommend that you up your game here by attempting to get flight info for aircraft at the time, as well as cross referencing these objects with the positions of known satellites. There are a couple of ways to do that e.g. N2YO.com - real time satellite tracking

Last edited:
Well if I did all that work and came to you and said my #4 object was not listed anywhere, would you then believe it was genuine? Would it change your mind at all? I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not. I think you would just present me with yet another hoop to jump through. Don't get me wrong. I think it's necessary to have certain UFO reports discredited, and you do a superb job.

Well if I did all that work and came to you and said my #4 object was not listed anywhere, would you then believe it was genuine? Would it change your mind at all? I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not. I think you would just present me with yet another hoop to jump through. Don't get me wrong. I think it's necessary to have certain UFO reports discredited, and you do a superb job.

Not all secret military satellites are listed of course. But filtering out the knowns is only the responsible thing to do if you are going to do this type of observing. I know it's work and time consuming, but that's just the way it goes. It wouldn't take all that long to log the time and cross check. I think there's even an app for it someplace where you basically just point your phone toward the sky and it will tell you what satellite is going over.

What you really need is to catch something like that doing an instantaneous high-speed high-angle turn, stop, or zig-zag. Something really unusual for anything we'd have up there.

As I pointed out on a previous thread, you have the disadvantage of not witnessing the flyby of this object. I would estimate its height at 3,000 feet. At the height of the flare-up, it was about the size of a quarter at arm's length.

If an object is reflecting the sun, you could see the outline of the dark side of it. There is no dark side to this object! Nothing. This can only mean the object itself is creating the flare-up, not from sun reflecting from it.

Did I get you on that one? That the object is not reflecting the sun?

I just posted a brand new video of more round aircraft flying over my house the other night.
It's here:

If the above video link has a problem, use this one: vimeo.com/151053949
You'll have to copy and paste it into the URL line.

Another way to see this video and all my other videos is to just go to vimeo.com or youtube.com, and type BLACK SKY WATCH in the searchbox. On Vimeo you will also have to click PEOPLE. The video at the top of the page is the latest one posted.

In each video, I will throw in a clip or three of birds and conventional aircraft, just for entertainment and perspective.

Click the SUBSCRIBE button on YouTube, or the FOLLOW button on Twitter and you will get notified every time I post a new video. @No1c2cfanSky

Unfortunately I have almost identical vids as your self and like many other fellow sky watchers have left with the conclusion that 99% are satellite's/junk.

The most surprising thing I found through years of sky watching was that due to the field of view from just one location the night sky could be so busy with satellites and space junk, and the only real way to determine the difference between low earth orbit objects or unknowns is if the object stops then moves again or changes direction when that happens you possibly have something we all dream of capturing.

sky watching is like fishing , keep fishing and one day you will land that big fish.

May I see your 'identical vids'? Do you have them posted anywhere?
Do you think my #4 is a satellite? Space junk?
And then there's #1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7. Don't look like space junk to me.

Below is a link to see them all, but if it doesn't work, try going to either VIMEO.COM or YOUTUBE.COM, and type BLACK SKY WATCH in the searchbox at the top. At VIMEO you will have to then click PEOPLE. ENJOY!

BLACK SKY WATCH’s Videos on Vimeo

I have about a hundred vids most are no longer online the above vid is one of a couple i still have on youtube.

if you search for night vision/ sky watch on youtube you will see countless videos of the same things you and I have recorded.

Bottom line is they are just illuminating lights with a starry back drop making a slow steady transition across the skyline, you and I cant be 100% sure what exactly they are even using such tools as heavens above site, satellite tracker apps, astronomical vr apps, weather balloon release information etc. etc.....
while also under standing that It’s estimated there are a further 500,000 bits and pieces between 1 and 10 cm in size orbiting the earth untracked its only logical to assume that they are 99% satellites/space junk/migrating birds.
Only thing that would suggest they are not would be characteristics such as right hand turns, stop starting, appearing disappearing, speeding up slowing down and if they do any of that stuff that in turn opens up another bunch of possible explanations before we ever mention ufo's

Simply put its 2 things either millions of sky watchers around the world are recording on a daily basis hundreds of none earth originating objects cruising across the skyline or its one of the 550 thousand estimated man made objects orbiting the earth and I'm comfortable with either out come ;)

out of all the footage I have taken this vid below is the best I have of objects in the sky.
Watching this again I'm reminded how hard it is to record objects in the sky even with a tripod, I wish I could show what I saw through binoculars and shudder and cringe with a hint of frustration of what I'm left to be able to show.
Anyway keep sky watching more of us that do the bigger data base we collect collectively over the internet and you never know what you will catch on your next sky watch.

Thanks for the videos, and the John Lennon thing is excellent.
Yea, you and I are on the same page alright. Agreed it's a pain to video things moving in the sky. My biggest complaint is that the camera wants to change its focus all the time. And if you set it to infinity, it's wrong. But I get pretty good results at night, when the stars create a reference.

I must disagree on the point you made though. You said all these objects are either man-made or man-made space junk.

Did you know I have an object flying in the night sky at close range, well within the Earth's atmosphere, that makes a turn? Linked below. Also, how do you explain how a few of my objects 'flare', or grow in size? In the case of my #4 that I keep talking about, the obvious thing is the object creates its own brightness. I don't know how anything else can be concluded. There is no fuselage that would show up if it was an airplane, and it's much too close to be a satellite.

OK, here's the object that turns. It's not obvious because it turns directly away from me and my camera. It's the first one that came in close, #1, but not labeled as such. Watch it and tell me what you think. Thanks for commenting by the way.

If the link below doesn't work, here it is without the first part: vimeo.com/150211091 Either copy and paste, or type it into the browser window and press return.

The link:

For the attention of the OP.

Maybe you're new at this malarkey, but you will find it helpful if you familiarised yourself with Heavens-above.com

It's a satellite/astronomy database. You put in your location and it tells you exactly when and where satellites be visible to the naked eye will appear. It also does this retrospectively so you can identify those you saw the previous night. It gives lots more, but that'll start you off.

As for the satellites that flair up in brightness in video #3 (and others) are almost certainly Iridium flares - also listed in Heavens-above.com. They are sometimes visible in daylight if you know where to look.

Please, anyone who records videos of blurry night-time lights, please check that website before posting 'unidentified lights'.

Thanks for jumping in here. I had already answered to the 'Iridium Satellite' possibility. I'll throw a copy of it in here:
Here's how I concluded these are NOT flaring Iridium Satellites. In this video,
an Iridium Satellite takes approximately 90 seconds just to travel the length of the Big Dipper (20 degrees). In another of my videos,
the orb travels from directly above me, to almost the horizon in about 2 minutes (over 70 degrees).
The Iridium would need over 5 minutes to travel that far. And I'm pretty certain their speed doesn't change.
What I'd like to add is that the flaring duration is completely different, my "#4" is much quicker. They don't match. Plus my object is 3,000 feet away from me, not 475 miles. I saw it coming my way easily with bare eyes, got the camera on it, and a short time later, it did its flaring thing. Doesn't it look like to you the light is coming from the object itself?

And yes I'm aware of Heaven's Gate. I've been there too. What if I told you my object was not on any list. Would you then consider it to be genuine? Or would you suggest it could be a secret military satellite? In other words, there's no way to win that argument.

What is your take on the video just above your comment? Do you think it changes direction? If not, how do you explain its disappearance? Thanks for you comment.

I saw no mention of Iridium flares in this thread before my post.

In post 13 I see no change of direction that cannot be explained by perspective. It 'disappears' because I think it's a satellite, which of course does not keep its reflective surfaces aligned with the observer the whole time it is above the horizon. I bet it was videoed no more than an hour or two after sunset or before sunrise?

Some satellites move faster than others. Some Iridium flares last longer and are brighter than others. There are too many variables to dismiss it as a satellite because you think it doesn't behave exactly as you expect. All your video shows is a bright spot presumably captured on a standard domestic-quality camera.

Yes, the object in the video looks like the light is coming from it, but how would you tell if it was illuminated (and why would it be?) or just reflected sunlight?

Have you checked it out with the website? I dare say there are some satellites not listed.

How do you know the object is 3000 feet away? It could have been an aircraft, although of course they usually have flashing lights!

Sorry, star-like objects that take between three and ten minutes to arc across the sky are most likely satellites.

Now, if you see one that stops dead, or does a 90 degree turn, that would be interesting...

Hey I appreciate you discussing this with me. But if you don't mind I'd like to focus on one thing at a time. Too much work otherwise.
The one thing I feel like discussing now is that same video mentioned above your first comment.(YouTube link to it below.)

If you would have looked at the video at YouTube, you may have seen some discussion beneath it. I did go to heavens-gate. You could have also seen that I posted the time it flew by. I just googled sunset time on that date, and then calculated that the object was captured a full 2.5 hours after sunset. Now this object came into my peripheral view as an obvious bright light. First thought it was an airplane. Of course I got the camera on it asap, and captured it on video. Turned out, was no airplane!

Since it was so obviously bright, easily picked out with the naked eye, and I would estimate under a mile away, I rule out satellites. Satellites are just not that obvious and bright to the naked eye. Sorry. And A person can still estimate distance at night.

Okay, so the video shows the object moving fairly slowly from left to right, which would have been west to east, as I was facing north. And it stays at the same low altitude, maintains the same speed, for well over a minute. Not only that, but it stays very close to the same distance from me.

If this was a satellite, it would have continued on the same course and distance away because satellites don't change course. But it didn't. First it started getting smaller, which would indicate it was getting further away. And just to confirm this, it got slightly out of focus. It was in perfect focus for the first full minute. I had to refocus as I do a lot the further an object gets away from me. Then fairly suddenly, the object gets smaller and smaller, and is gone altogether within a few seconds. The obvious explanation is that it changed course, away from me. And it didn't waste any time getting gone!

I'm just afraid it really doesn't matter whether you agree with that assessment or not. You will not be changing my mind on it. Sorry. And the other viewers are free to make up their own mind on it as well. You have to remember, you were not there, and I was. Like I said I saw it unaided out of the corner of my eye very easily because it was so obviously bright. That just does not happen with a satellite. And I think you will agree it was no airplane! Thanks again...

If you went to heavens-above.com, what did it tell you? You have not said it wasn't listed. But is that what we are to assume?

There is no way anyone can judge the distance of a light in the sky in the dark. You have no clear points of reference and you have no idea what size it is.

You're right satellites don't change course and I can't see why you think this light did. Perspective is a strange thing. Did it suddenly change course? No. It slowly curved away into the distance to the horizon, a couple of hours after sunset as I suggested.

It's apparent getting smaller is just it dimming. I already said, the reflective surfaces of a satellite does not stay the same as seen by the observer, so a satellite fades into view 10 to 15 degrees above the horizon (this can be quite fast), and fades out again (also possibly quite fast).

You are right, I was not there and it is probably no aeroplane. But all the evidence you present very strongly suggests it is a satellite. You say you will not change your mind. That's not really going to help you - at least be open minded.

On a clear night you will probably see two or three such low-earth orbit satellites in the two to three hours after sunset. If you doubt me just go take a look!

It could be a UFO (whatever a UFO may be), but on balance given the evidence you provide, it does all the stuff a satellite does when seen at that time of night with that equipment. Occam's Razor and all...

Like I said before - and I'll repeat it for you - if a light like that stops dead, reverses or does sharp or abrupt turns - you have something interesting. Otherwise I suspect you are just kidding yourself and others too "who want to believe".

You said:
On a clear night you will probably see two or three such low-earth orbit satellites in the two to three hours after sunset. If you doubt me just go take a look!
Before you said:
I bet it was videoed no more than an hour or two after sunset or before sunrise?
----------------------------------------
Kind of moving the goalposts aren't you? If I said it was 4 hours after sunset, would you say something like, 'they could really be viewed any time'?
And if I doubt it go take a look ?? Are you kidding me? I have a thousand hours of looking at the night sky. How many do you have? And I'm not using a "domestic-quality camera". I had to laugh at that one. If you had attempted to do what I'm doing even once, you would know that type camera would not work at all. You would only be able to see the moon and the brightest stars. And around them would be total blackness.
YOU instructing on being open-minded?? Isn't everything in the videos a bird, plane or satellite? That is the extent of your position, and has been from the start.
And yes, I'd have something if it were to 'stop dead' or make an abrupt turn. I've said that myself numerous times. That's stating the obvious.

I've just posted another video. Sure are a ton of 'satellites' floating around up there wouldn't you say?

You probably won't see satellites more than a 'couple of hours' after sunset because they would be in the earth's shadow. But you knew that I'm sure.

(OK, there are a few that are in such an orbit that they are visible later, especially in the summer.)

Your latest video is not showing satellites because... there are two travelling in opposite directions? Is that significant?

Please post any videos you may have (taken with your not domestic quality camera) of 'satellites' doing non-satellite type manoeuvres for us all to see and ponder.

I have a military night scope for viewing these things. Unfortunately it is for armed vehicle mounting and quite heavy to hold for long. Must build a jig for it. Anyway, even with that device I have not seen anything odd. That is my bad luck because Richard Lennie interviewed here uses similar night vision equipment to see all sorts of interesting stuff.
...Richard Lennie who – like many people in the US, is using night-vision technology to see what he thinks could be extra-terrestrial “dogfights” high above earth.

For your information I have an open mind - that's why I listen to The Paracast. It's just that you have not showed us anything significant yet.

Carry on...

Back