• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

May 24, 2015 — Tim Beckley

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
When it comes to Tim Beckley, he can certainly be polarizing. Some don't appreciate the fact that he publishes some wacky books and magazines, with views that are not regarded as terribly credit. But he also has a deep interest in the paranormal, and extensive knowledge accumulated from over five decades in the field.

And he's always a fun interview.

You'll enjoy this episode, and you'll want to hear some of our comments about Tim in this week's episode of After The Paracast.

Tim can spin a tale with the best of them. I always knew there was something strange about the Internet!!

I think it was during after-the-Paracast that it was mentioned how much money was earned by the fiasco. Remarkable.

Tim can talk for hours.
In after the paracast, there was a discussion about new sci-fi movies.
I can recommend Ex Machina , about A.I. , a terrific intelligent film.

I'll put it on my viewing list.

I did finally get to see "Interstellar," but was ultimately disappointed. Christopher Nolan tried to make it too much of a head trip, and it dragged far more than I expected.

Meantime, in the upcoming issue of The Tech Night Owl Newsletter, I have a large article about TV comic book heroes, with a special shout-out to Netflix's variation on "Daredevil." I also got to see the less-than-legal copy of "Supergirl," the new CBS series, and found it more appealing than I expected. If CBS hasn't issued the takedown order, you'll find it, still. It may have even been a deliberate release to generate buzz.

I was pleasantly pleased with this past season of 'The Flash.' The writing was intelligent and wasn't dumbed down to reach more of an audience. The season included most of the villains the Flash faced in the comics.

Time travel was featured and the main cast was quite good, especially Tom Cavanaugh (Dr. Wells.) I'm sure reruns will begin soon for anyone who missed it.

I enjoyed the time travel aspects too, but ultimately I thought the super hero stuff was secondary. I was really moved by the acting especially between Grant/Barry and his dad (both of them) and getting to make his peace with his mom floored me.

The thing that bothered me about the series was the passive/aggressive aspect of Dr. Wells, I know he was more mission oriented but it was very confusing and i think in some parts illogical within the storyline.

I enjoyed the time travel aspects too, but ultimately I thought the super hero stuff was secondary. I was really moved by the acting especially between Grant/Barry and his dad (both of them) and getting to make his peace with his mom floored me.

The thing that bothered me about the series was the passive/aggressive aspect of Dr. Wells, I know he was more mission oriented but it was very confusing and i think in some parts illogical within the storyline.
No tv program is perfect. This show is different in that it makes you think and the plots are never transparent to the viewer. The point of Eddie Thawn being a plot changer. I never saw it coming.

I'll put it on my viewing list.

I did finally get to see "Interstellar," but was ultimately disappointed. Christopher Nolan tried to make it too much of a head trip, and it dragged far more than I expected.

Meantime, in the upcoming issue of The Tech Night Owl Newsletter, I have a large article about TV comic book heroes, with a special shout-out to Netflix's variation on "Daredevil." I also got to see the less-than-legal copy of "Supergirl," the new CBS series, and found it more appealing than I expected. If CBS hasn't issued the takedown order, you'll find it, still. It may have even been a deliberate release to generate buzz.
Must see : 'Another Earth'

It was a pretty quick show and as usual Tim had a lot to say. there is always a bit of talking over each other with him on any show because just when you think he's finished he has a addendum to put in.

Thanks for asking my question even though Tim didn't really answer it outside of listing a bunch of experiences, but in a way that answered my question. Listening to them from my disconnected position I'm not so sure his perceptions would match mine and that's fine. it comes down to opinion I guess. just like he mentioned earlier. That's the issue when trying to quantify a personal synchronicity with another person, its like trying to get them excited about a certain dream you had, the impact doesn't carry over because it is such a personal experience.

I suppose if the hallmark of a synchronicity is that it's supposed to strike a person and make them stop and think "wow" and maybe have them change course and reevaluate things, I've only had a few that i can immediately think of and one was a whopper. But if I had a list of what I would consider interesting coincidences my list would have easily matched his.

Last edited:
Interstellar and Gravity both seemed rather negative regarding space flight to me. I thought they were both downers.

Tim B. is UFO-wise. I can listen to him for much longer than the few hours he got on the Paracast this time. I was sort of hunting and pecking around a few months back looking for his Bikini Massacre at Sandy Hook, but never found it. Tim, if you're reading this, could you put that one Youtube for those of us who are interested? Thanks so much and that was a great interview, guys.

At the risk of sounding like a negative Nelly, I've got to say that the show seems to have lost some momentum since the introduction of After the Paracast. Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe the seeming dearth of engaging guests and interesting show topics is indicative of limited resources being focused on the new pay service rather than the actual show that begat the new pay service. At any rate, the fact that you are now charging to get more of something that seems to me to be delivering less is a bit backwards.

Tim Beckley seems like a very nice guy, and his contributions and experience in the realm of paranormal publishing is almost singularly exemplary. But listening to him go on and on and on about the ins and outs of the publishing world then and now and bemoaning all the casualties of progress is so far removed from what I used to expect from the Paracast each week. I know that once in awhile Gene has an old colleague or friend on the show to talk about the old days (I call those the "Para-past" episodes), and there are usually elements of those shows that I find interesting, but this week's show was so boring that even Gene and Chris seemed completely uninterested and uninspired by it. In fact, after the first segment (which Gene started by saying "We're not going to talk about the Roswell slides..." and then went on to talk exclusively about the Roswell slides for an entire segment) I think I head Chris speak twice... Before I turned off the show midway, unable to listen anymore. For lengthy stretches, Gene rarely spoke either, with Beckley rambling on, literally hundreds of words at a time without so much as pausing to encourage a comment from someone else.

Anyway, I feel bad criticizing the show because I really like what you guys do and believe you often present great shows, but man oh man they seem to be getting rarer and rarer all the time. More often than not the show seems like a lengthy erring of grievances or laundry list of complains about the "toxic" field of UFO research. And the more resigned and bored you guys come off, the more difficult it is to get excited about the show.

Or maybe it's me.

Anyway, looking fwd. to some great shows to come... I hope.

Tim Beckley.jpg

It's always fun to hear Tim, the quintessential "hustler" of the paranormal, in the very best sense of the word. Like Gene, he's seen it all, talked to everyone that counts and has essentially been-there-done-that. Like David Childress, he's a great storyteller and he learned early on that you not only need to write well but you must publish your own writing and the writing of others to survive financially. I only wish this episode could have run another hour or two so more stories could have poured out of Tim's head, intriguing stories we've never heard before.

I want to personally thank Tim for helping Ted Phillips, in front of the camera and behind the scenes. He's supported Ted and offered encouragement to help Ted get through his difficult health issues and keep pursuing the mysteries that fascinate all of us. With any luck, Ted will be back on the beat this summer.

Thank you, Tim Beckley, for being a UFO go-to guy for all these years. You're a card, a promoter, an act, but above all, a class act.

Maybe its about geography, but I really enjoy it when someone Gene or Chris has known for a long time is on, I feel like I am eavesdropping on a conversation that I would never otherwise hear, I find Mr Beckley's accent really interesting because it is not one I hear on a regular basis. I especially enjoyed his theory on the creation of the internet, but the thing that struck me most was when he discussed the relationship between creativity and UFO's, as someone who has not done the reading (of the classic UFO books) I found his point about someone having already written the book, with the same answers you have come up with, a very good point, and it has increased my desire to bite the bullet, and get help trying to walk before I can run. (as in read the books.)

Overall a fantastic orator and storyteller* and the opportunity to be a fly on the wall during a conversation between such experienced and knowledgeable speakers was a privilege.

*I mean this in a positive way, because my most treasured possessions are stories, or objects that tell a story.

Another thinker who has been looking at the UFO thing for so long that he's reached the conclusion that the ETH is just not enough to make sense of what it is we are seeing in the skies or to comprehend what they are supposedly up to. I still feel abduction stories are always what pushes the discussion into unknown realms of speculation. If the internet was made by Aliens so they could eavesdrop on us then as long suspected Vallee is really and truly both the star-child and satan at the same time. It's a Keelian vision of things.

Anyone else hear Tim say, "She's like the Nick Redfern of British UFO writers?" I had a good laugh about that since I would think that Nick Redfern is the Nick Redfern of British UFO writers. As usual, Tim was a lot of fun.

I just started to listen to this episode with Tim Beckley and had to stop for a minute to comment on the Roswell slide fallout. One of the big frustrations to this situation is that it will overshadow Ron Regehrs new book which may really have some of the first good new evidence supporting the Roswell story. I don't like paranoid conspiracy UFO cover-up stuff but, this is how you suppress cover things up. by overshadowing real evidence with CRAP and hoaxes.

Back