• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

May 1, 2016 — Micah Hanks

I do, inattentive add. Not to bad though I take dopamine supplements and while I never asked I have wondered if these supplements are responsible for some things that I am "sensitive" to.

I do, inattentive add. Not to bad though I take dopamine supplements and while I never asked I have wondered if these supplements are responsible for some things that I am "sensitive" to.

If you don't mind me asking, if you can recommend a particular product that works for you (via PM if preferred), I definitely would want to try myself as I have "low dopamine" issues as well. I take a "shitload" of supplements, but am always on the lookup for ones that have some noticeable impact.

I was listening to Micah more carefully this time and the reason why some may get the impression that he is overly wordy is not because he uses 10 words to say what can be said in 3; it's that he wants to make sure he is precise in what he is saying; but also because he does tend to digress to side stories or points of interest in some detail so that the entirety of what comes out tends to be much longer. So there is both more depth and more breadth to his answers and they may stretch outside the scope of the (literal) question asked. Since this is not a court room or a forum where he has to finish the interview in 20 minutes, I think digressing and providing extended and expanded answers is not only just fine, but very nice. It does require maintaining your focus and not letting your mind wander, so he would not be good for people with ADD.
Gene worked hard to get Micah to fit each answer into a single programme segment.:)

I find that Micah's answers meander like a river in flood, with side eddies and backwashes in a kind of OCD style; they make sure that every side branch of the creek is filled, like an itch scratched. The key is to listen with a pen and paper to hand, so you can keep a tally of how many parentheses in you are.

Bonus: best Stanton Friedman impression ever.

Micah is my favored podcaster\broadcaster at this time.

He has not yet been worn down to a nub like many in his field. He strikes me as being intelligent and insightful, and still enjoying the mystery. Many (not all) of the older presenters seem burned out, or simply irritated, by the topics they have chosen to follow.

I know everyone has unique tastes, so I wanted to chime in with mine.

Hello everyone. I have not responded to any replies here because Gene banned me from the Paracast for 1 month. Therefore, the SAME DAY that I posted my initial remark about Micah I was banned. I was NOT banned due to the comment that begins this thread.

Consequently, I could not respond to any comments here. I certainly never would have responded in defense of my initial comment. As I stated upfront, this was a personal reaction on my part that is totally removed from any objective reality. So either you like or don't like Micah's speaking style. I would only say this to Micah. Micah, in your responses you note that you are being routinely misunderstood. Might I humbly suggest that part of this may relate to your long winded speaking style?

As a gay man, I am totally disgusted with the Deep South "religious freedom" laws that are being activated simply to punish and harm gay people who are also supposed to be equal citizens of those states. Of course, the North Carolina law is the most publicized example. Estimates are that possibly BILLIONS of dollars may be lost, but the right wing governor still supports the discrimination (via law) of his state's gay citizens, simply because they are sexually attracted and fall in love with their own sex. Since Christianity promotes this type of prejudice, that says a lot about the separation of church and state in Southern states.

Now, none of that has anything to do with Micah. Nonetheless, I am sure I unconsciously made him somewhat a scapegoat for my RAGE about this law in his state. I also have listened to Rush Limbaugh on many occasions, and always come away shaking with disgust and anger at his constant distortions and outright lies. I do not understand anyone who even brings up his name in polite company. Therefore, I made an attack on Micah for admitting that he listens to the guy. If you were one of his top ten most hated groups (as gay people are for no rational reason), then you would not tolerate him nor people who enjoy him. The man preaches hate on a daily basis.

Am I now supposed to retract my personal opinion and say I love Micah's speaking style?

I am sorry but I cannot. This does not make me a "spastic" (as Walter Bosley claimed). By the way, I thought that in the year 2016 we had moved beyond trying to insult others by using words that refer to people who have Muscular Dystrophy or some other neurological disease. We also have supposedly moved beyond trying to insult people by calling them retards. But evidently that information has not reached Walter Bosley yet.

I am not here today to be antagonistic. I have tried to explain the root of some of my statements. I still wish Micah could use 100 words rather than 10,000 to make a point. If people tend to find their mind wandering, that might be the reason, Micah! How can a person listen attentively and carefully when someone just goes on and on and on and on and on?

To each his own.

Post Script: I am legally married to a Southern gentleman from Virginia. He has been in California since high school and has therefore become Yankee-ized. But he has often remarked on his Virginia relatives conversation style. They take forever to get to the point. They love to tell a good story. His brother is like this. When he calls, my partner has to tell him "OK. Give me the newspaper heading first for what you want to say. Then flesh it out with details if I ask for them". Perhaps it is a cultural thing. I don't know. But I have visited his family in Virginia and Georgia many times, and they all suffer from mouthatopia. They like to warm up to a story slowly, as if we are all sitting before a fireplace on a cold storm night. It shouldn't take 15 minutes just to tell us that Aunt Saddie died. But I am probably a hopeless Yankee.

Last edited:
"This does not make me a "spastic" (as Walter Bosley claimed). By the way, I thought that in the year 2016 we had moved beyond trying to insult others by using words that refer to people who have Muscular Dystrophy or some other neurological disease. We also have supposedly moved beyond trying to insult people by calling them retards. But evidently that information has not reached Walter Bosley yet."

Hey Mr Beyond-the-Pale: Get over it and get over yourself. Nice attempt at painting me with your social venom brush. The use of 'spastic' is not exclusive to people suffering from MD so your grenade poofed out. Such emotion-fueled grenades are typical of people on that side of center. The respectable thing for you to have done was not appear here (after being banned) with this milquetoasty nag post. Why don't you let Micah and others be what they are? Honestly, not very many people care enough about people who judge others on their meter of speech. I'm sure you have an opinion on people being free to be what they are, correct? Or is hypocrisy the order of the day?

Do not come at me in a public forum with a thinly veiled mudsling of being insensitive to people with afflictions. It makes you look like the ass you assume others to be.

Love ya! :D

P.S. Definition of 'spastic' as I used it: "Slang: Offensive. awkward or clumsy." Which your critique of Micah was. Just FYI. :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I have not responded to any replies here because Gene banned me from the Paracast for 1 month. Therefore, the SAME DAY that I posted my initial remark about Micah I was banned. I was NOT banned due to the comment that begins this thread.

Consequently, I could not respond to any comments here. I certainly never would have responded in defense of my initial comment. As I stated upfront, this was a personal reaction on my part that is totally removed from any objective reality. So either you like or don't like Micah's speaking style. I would only say this to Micah. Micah, in your responses you note that you are being routinely misunderstood. Might I humbly suggest that part of this may relate to your long winded speaking style?

As a gay man, I am totally disgusted with the Deep South "religious freedom" laws that are being activated simply to punish and harm gay people who are also supposed to be equal citizens of those states. Of course, the North Carolina law is the most publicized example. Estimates are that possibly BILLIONS of dollars may be lost, but the right wing governor still supports the discrimination (via law) of his state's gay citizens, simply because they are sexually attracted and fall in love with their own sex. Since Christianity promotes this type of prejudice, that says a lot about the separation of church and state in Southern states.

Now, none of that has anything to do with Micah. Nonetheless, I am sure I unconsciously made him somewhat a scapegoat for my RAGE about this law in his state. I also have listened to Rush Limbaugh on many occasions, and always come away shaking with disgust and anger at his constant distortions and outright lies. I do not understand anyone who even brings up his name in polite company. Therefore, I made an attack on Micah for admitting that he listens to the guy. If you were one of his top ten most hated groups (as gay people are for no rational reason), then you would not tolerate him nor people who enjoy him. The man preaches hate on a daily basis.

Am I now supposed to retract my personal opinion and say I love Micah's speaking style?

I am sorry but I cannot. This does not make me a "spastic" (as Walter Bosley claimed). By the way, I thought that in the year 2016 we had moved beyond trying to insult others by using words that refer to people who have Muscular Dystrophy or some other neurological disease. We also have supposedly moved beyond trying to insult people by calling them retards. But evidently that information has not reached Walter Bosley yet.

I am not here today to be antagonistic. I have tried to explain the root of some of my statements. I still wish Micah could use 100 words rather than 10,000 to make a point. If people tend to find their mind wandering, that might be the reason, Micah! How can a person listen attentively and carefully when someone just goes on and on and on and on and on?

To each his own.

Post Script: I am legally married to a Southern gentleman from Virginia. He has been in California since high school and has therefore become Yankee-ized. But he has often remarked on his Virginia relatives conversation style. They take forever to get to the point. They love to tell a good story. His brother is like this. When he calls, my partner has to tell him "OK. Give me the newspaper heading first for what you want to say. Then flesh it out with details if I ask for them". Perhaps it is a cultural thing. I don't know. But I have visited his family in Virginia and Georgia many times, and they all suffer from mouthatopia. They like to warm up to a story slowly, as if we are all sitting before a fireplace on a cold storm night. It shouldn't take 15 minutes just to tell us that Aunt Saddie died. But I am probably a hopeless Yankee.

Maybe you and Micah are too alike! As you criticize him for being too "long-winded" and hard to understand, you go on a 2 paragraph tirade about gay rights, religious freedom, Rush Limbaugh, and the separation of church and state in the "deep south," while talking on a paranormal message board. Dare I say the pot calling the kettle black?

Maybe you and Micah are too alike! As you criticize him for being too "long-winded" and hard to understand, you go on a 2 paragraph tirade about gay rights, religious freedom, Rush Limbaugh, and the separation of church and state in the "deep south," while talking on a paranormal message board. Dare I say the pot calling the kettle black?
For my thought out and paragraphed post (describing WHY I went off on Micah) to be like Micah, it would have to be written as one long sentence with no punctuation or paragraph breaks.

I just started listening to the Gralien Report (my third of three podcasts that I listen to weekly-the first being The Paracast and the second being Trailer Park Boys), and Micah seems like a very conscientious person. I'm very sure that a considerate person like MH would really feel a sting if they were regarded as being inconsiderate or ill-willed.
Micah seems like a cool enough fella.
Almost absurdly centrist (like myself).

"This does not make me a "spastic" (as Walter Bosley claimed). By the way, I thought that in the year 2016 we had moved beyond trying to insult others by using words that refer to people who have Muscular Dystrophy or some other neurological disease. We also have supposedly moved beyond trying to insult people by calling them retards. But evidently that information has not reached Walter Bosley yet."

Hey Mr Beyond-the-Pale: Get over it and get over yourself. Nice attempt at painting me with your social venom brush. The use of 'spastic' is not exclusive to people suffering from MD so your grenade poofed out. Such emotion-fueled grenades are typical of people on that side of center. The respectable thing for you to have done was not appear here (after being banned) with this milquetoasty nag post. Why don't you let Micah and others be what they are? Honestly, not very many people care enough about people who judge others on their meter of speech. I'm sure you have an opinion on people being free to be what they are, correct? Or is hypocrisy the order of the day?

Do not come at me in a public forum with a thinly veiled mudsling of being insensitive to people with afflictions. It makes you look like the ass you assume others to be.

Love ya! :D

P.S. Definition of 'spastic' as I used it: "Slang: Offensive. awkward or clumsy." Which your critique of Micah was. Just FYI. :)
As the definition says,spastic is an offensive term.In the UK spastic is as taboo as calling a gay guy a poof,though not as offensive as the N word.Perhaps it has a different meaning in the U.S. but the term is no longer used over here.

As the definition says,spastic is an offensive term.In the UK spastic is as taboo as calling a gay guy a poof,though not as offensive as the N word.Perhaps it has a different meaning in the U.S. but the term is no longer used over here.
You are right. In the USA, using the word "spastic" is considered extremely crude and insensitive, like the "n" word. Using it shows you have no class. But I don't want to invoke another condescending rant from you-kn0w-who.

You are right. In the USA, using the word "spastic" is considered extremely crude and insensitive, like the "n" word. Using it shows you have no class. But I don't want to invoke another condescending rant from you-kn0w-who.

No it's not. Except to overly sensitive types. And no one has ranted on you. You blathered negative about the way someone speaks and you got a response from people who disagree with you. Let it go. :)

Back