• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hallucinations vs. "real contact"

maninblack

Paranormal Novice
I have experienced some contact with what I believe may be ET in the past. I consulted a psychiatrist and took medication for what he said were hallucinations. I stopped taking the meds due to side effects about a year ago. I've begun to experience the same types of "contact" again. Now my wife has reported that she believes in aliens and has "contacted" them. So, my question is how does one tell what is a hallucination and what is reality? Any thoughts?

sorry for the delay in response mate,
your story reminds me of a bud hopkins case.
and for you the question is a double edged sword, either reality is a case for concern.
i know because i myself have had an experience that was either a self induced delusion, sleep paralysis (or a combination of the two) OR i had an alien in my bedroom.
regardless of what the "Truth" is or isnt, i think we end up embracing the reality we are most able to. i wont use the word comfortable in this sense because it doesnt fit
i would suggest stepping up one step in the question, lets say i can positively tell you its a hallucination. what would that reality mean to you, how would you react to that ?.
thats one side
or if i could say to you beyond a doubt you are having contact, what would you do about it ?
in either "reality" there is an answer or reaction, they may be similar or mutally exclussive. i would explore each one and find the one that allows you fulfil your main goal which is to just be human and live a happy life or as close to that as you can get

in my experience the terror is the major factor, ive never felt such a visceral animal fright, it litterally de humanised me during the experience. i know that if i were to have that experience repeat itself over and over and there was a pill that could make it stop, i would use it.
whether psyciatric or abduction i would recognise that either option was beyond my control and use the pill (if it worked) to maintain a normal lifestyle.
but i would also research the ET angle as extensively as i could in the hope that the knowledge gained would give me confidence to embrace that reality without the fear.

in the end you need to weigh up the relative "effects" of each reality and go with the one that gives you the best quality of life

What always makes me stop and think is that hallucinations are purported to be the product of the mind, yet when you think about it; some 'hallucinations' are just too warped to be of the human mind.

I cant help myself: 'If you want to change your mind, change the medium. Learn how to control your brain. Who controls your eyeballs, controls the medium.' - Timothy Leary.

The doctors gave me numerous drugs, like Geodon, abilify, prozac. We would try different ones, but the "weird stuff" keeps happening. Weird stuff like knocks on the wall, feeling of being watched, and weird flashes of hologram type faces.

Did the doctor give a name to what he percieved your condition to be, such as paranoid schizophrenia? I say "what he percieved" because he probably doesn't believe in aliens, and he would automatically judge the problem to be psychological and chemical based.

Honestly, I would say talk to more than one doctor, because psychiatry is a rapidly changing field. New drugs come on the scene all the time.

Look at this way: No matter what the cause of your symptoms and paranoya, you shouldn't have to suffer.

regardless of whether the events are hallucination or real, the immediate effect on the experiencer and those around them should to my mind always be the primary focus.
i had a sister in law who was "nuts" and was certain the CIA (she lived in sydney australia)was putting radioactive material in her appartment specifically the water supply and she could see the toilet glowing where no one else could.

medication helped her. and it was as best as we could tell caused by exposure to levels of fear that most people would not come across.
during a messy divorce her husband who can only be described as a psycho (eventually threw himself under a freight train after being released by police on child rape charges)
he would come around at night and bang the house shine torches in the windows and wisper strange "voices" through various opening ie chimney.
the mind games this guy played would fill pages

eventually she went "nuts"

if the effects whatever the cause real or hallucinated are disabling you from functioning with freinds family and workmates, then using medication (if it works) makes sense

its a matter of finding a mechanism that allows you to cope with the events.

the holographic faces for example, if the medication makes them stop and seeing them startles you say at work where people notice then taking medication makes good sense in terms of being able to pay the rent. its a wise investment with postive returns.
if on the other hand you can learn to "cope" with events like the hologramatic face as something only you can see but apart from that normal and not a matter you need be concerned with personally other than at that level then perhaps thats a path you might consider as personal "research"

we know the human brain can produce vivid hallucinations, and we can chemically induce some of these "effects" , so its not beyond the possibility that your brain is allergic to some substance that most people are not, ie the kids who die if they lick a peanut.
these allergys are on the rise and it may simply be that some simple food that most ppl are tolerant of cause hallucinations in your case. a classic example is bread
Human poisoning due to the consumption of rye bread made from ergot-infected grain was common in Europe in the Middle Ages. The epidemic was known as St. Anthony's Fire or ignis sacer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

the point im making is we know chemicals in food can react with our brains in this manner, and that those reactions vary from chemical to chemical AND person to person ie peanut allergy

a good naturapth or similar may be of help

either way the main goal is for you to be able to function as an individual in a modern world

good luck and sincere best wish's

Concerning bangs on the walls, i get these too about once a month, scares me or rather startles me a shocker. but its only bird strikes, if i go out and investigate, 8 times out of ten i can find a pile of lost feathers near where the sound comes from.
having a routine of scientific investigation ie checking for feathers after a lound bang, can be very helpful in coping with the event

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I don't have any missing time, unexplained scars or marks. Some of you have been through a lot of trauma. A lot of the messages in my dreams revolve around how the earth is being destroyed. Normally, I don't remember my dreams. And I'm not an environmentalist either. That part is weird. I can remember being in a room that is all lit up on the craft. I think this contact is all in my head.

I am involved with a support group for people who suffer from anxiety and/or panic attacks. Most everyone there can attribute their problems to a specific incident/event in their life. No one has yet to (vocally) claim a paranormal catalyst for their problems. Yet several people in the group have vocalized having "reality issues". I have pondered aloud what the origins of these claims might be, but no one has offered a "real" answer to my line of questioning. Could this be a result of the psychiatric medications? Could there be something unexplained? I dunno?

But whatever the underlying nature of your own experience is, I feel sorry for anyone having to drag it into a psychiatrist's office. I am going to second that advice about attempting to talk to some more doctor's. See what they have to say and see if you can find one that you feel comfortable talking to. He/she may not tell you what you want to hear, but if you find someone whose personality you can connect with ... well, then maybe their opinions will better serve you.

Back