• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Grow your own food

A good quality hoe is a must too. Nice low tech time tested tool

Hoe and Garden Pictures: The Entire Hoe Collection!

You want a heavy head, but not too wide so you can get it between plants.

This one looks good

Spork_head.jpg

There are two schools of thoughts re weeding

One is of course to use the hoe once a week to disturb and displace weeds, this leaves the nutrients and water for the plants youve planted.
But another school of thought says native pests are used to eating native weeds, leaving them in place is the go since they will target the weeds, not the introduced plants

Leaving a few weeds in the garden...on purpose - Cottage Garden Forum - GardenWeb

I cant overstate the better quality of home grown food, the phrase "tastes like the ones we had as kids" is common.

Weve been pickling zuchinis and cucumbers this week, our bulk store looks great with jars and jars of these, and the taste......
This is not like the one that I have inherited from my father. It looks much more practical. Thank you for the web sites.

I use my weed wacker to clear out weeds. This year, we're going to plant with enough space between rows so that I can take my tractor to mow them down and see how that works.

I don't dig hoes. If a weed is close enough to a desirable plant that it can steal nutrients, it's also close enough that a hoe might damage the roots of the desirable plant.

I crawl on my hands and knees and pull the weeds out by hand. This is not unpleasant work because I'm electrically connected to the earth wilst doing it.

I don't dig hoes. If a weed is close enough to a desirable plant that it can steal nutrients, it's also close enough that a hoe might damage the roots of the desirable plant.

I crawl on my hands and knees and pull the weeds out by hand. This is not unpleasant work because I'm electrically connected to the earth wilst doing it.

This is what I do as well: I pull out any weeds close to the plant manually.

Back