• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Favorite (Intergalactic) Recipes

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
On that long trip to Mars, delight the family with some honest-to-goodness home-cooking. :) May take some time but let's face it, you have plenty of that as you prepare for cryogenic sleep. (Though we do have to watch the weight but a few ounces here and there won't count - and whose going to stop you anyway!)

Rose Shaped Apple Baked Dessert by Cooking with Manuela

TEXT: Published on Apr 3, 2015
Impress your guests with this beautiful rose-shaped dessert made with lots of soft and delicious apple slices, wrapped in sweet and crispy puff pastry. To learn more about this recipe, please visit my blog: http://cookingwithmanuela.blogspot.co...
NOTE: make sure the pastry is fully cooked on the inside before removing the roses from the oven! If after 30 minutes the apples on top look fully cooked, move the pan to a lower rack in the oven, and wait for 10-15 more minutes to avoid undercooking the puff pastry.
AND: If you prefer, you can simmer the apple slices in water over medium heat for a few minutes until slightly softer (and easy to roll). Also, the preserve can be warmed up with the water on a small pan over medium heat for a minute or so.
Enjoy :)
Ingredients to make 6 roses:
1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
2 red organic apples (I used red delicious)
half lemon, juice
1 tablespoon of flour, to sprinkle the counter
3 tablespoons of apricot preserve
cinnamon (optional)
powder sugar for decorating (optional)​

Milk, Flour, Butter, Eggs and salt are a must, as pancakes are a well known intergalactic delicacy.
EagleRiverCEIIIphoto.jpg

*source: Eagle River Close Encounter (man given 'pancakes' by UFO occupants) - Eagle River, Wisconsin, United States - April 18, 1961 - UFO Evidence

Sorry Tyger :) here are three recipes that I have invented or adapted. 1 for vegans 1 for vegetarians and one for Carnivours:

For Vegans: Puff pastry Samosas>

Ingredients:

1 x Vegan puff pastry sheet
1 x large onion or 2-3 small ones (any colour)
1x Can/Tin of chickpeas
1x handful of frozen or fresh peas
1 x Cup of red split lentils
1 x thumb size piece of fresh ginger root peeled and crushed or 2tsp of dried ground ginger
1-4 cloves of garlic crushed (depending on taste)
2tsp dried Coriander
2tsp dried ground Cumin
2tsp dried ground black pepper
1tsp turmeric (optional)
1tbs tomato puree
Fresh or Dried chilli to taste (use caution: remember you can add more, but you never get rid of it, once its "cooked in")
Boiling water
cooking Oil

Method:
Take time to organise and prepare your ingredients first i.e peel and chop fresh ginger, garlic and chilli. rinse the lentils and chick peas. and make sure your pastry is defrosted if using frozen.

Peel onions, if you have a food processor put them in and mince them to a pulp, otherwise chop as small as possible by hand.
Heat a medium sized saucepan and add about a tbs of oil, add the onions and the ginger if using fresh, cook on a medium heat until they start to become transparent. Add the Garlic and chilli cook for a further minute or so, now add the dry ginger if using, and coriander, cumin, black pepper, turmeric (if using) and tomato puree. Stir until combined, add lentils and chickpeas (and fresh/frozen peas if using) and enough boiling water to just cover lentils. continue to cook on a medium heat stirring regularly,. as the lentils cook they will "drink" the water*.
After 15 minutes the lentils should start to soften, continue cooking until they are starting to break down (are very soft).
When cooked remove from heat.

Pre heat oven to about: Gas 7 or 425F or 220C or 200 fan oven.
divide your sheet of pastry into equal portions (depending on desired size of samosa/s)
Place a spoonful of the mixture into the center of each portion of pastry and fold or pinch all edges together ensuring that parcel is sealed, a little water and a pastry brush can be useful but are not essential.
Put in hot oven and cook until pastry is a golden colour.
Can be served hot or cold.
If using as a starter then serve with a tomato, onion and cucumber salad. If serving as a main then rice or potatoes with boiled green veg i.e broccoli.

*becuase we are going to put this mixture inside pastry we want it quite dry but if you wanted to serve it as a main course without the pastry (like a curry) a wetter mixture would be better.

For Vegetarians: Spaghetti with cream and mushrooms (20 mins!)

Ingredients: (per person)

Dry spaghetti
Mushrooms
Cream
Cheese
Butter
Black pepper
Salt
Boiling water

Take time to prepare and organise (grate cheese etc) ALWAYS WASH MUSHROOMS and never eat any that you are not 100% sure of if you pick your own!!!!!!!!!

Method:
Fill kettle with water while it is boiling roughly chop mushrooms a variety of mushrooms is ideal but any kind will do.
Heat a small saucepan and add a large knob of butter when it has melted add the mushrooms and some black pepper. Fill a large saucepan with the boiling water from kettle and add a generous pinch of salt when it is at a rolling boil add the spaghetti. Stir the mushrooms in their pan and cook the pasta until is is nearly done before draining add the cream to the mushrooms and allow to cook while you drain your pasta, now add the cheese to the cream and mushrooms (cheddar is good but most cheeses work a combination is fine) cook until cheese has melted into the sauce, and now add the pasta into the sauce (not the other way round) stir until combined. Serve immediately. A green or tomato salad works well to counter balance a quite rich and heavy dish.

For meat eaters: Chorizo fried Sandwich:

Ingredients (per person):
1-2 Hot Chorizo (picante) or similar spicy sausage
2 x slices of bread (any)
1-2 x eggs (depending on size)
Dash of milk

Optional: Lettuce, tomato and cheese.

Method:

Skin sausages and roughly chop up the contents, heat a dry frying pan (don't add any oil) add the sausage meat and fry gently, as it cooks it will release fat and spices into the pan. Whilst it is frying break the eggs into a basin and add a dash of milk, salt and pepper. whisk until uniform in colour. Now take frying pan of the heat and carefully remove the pieces of sausage ensuring to leave as much fat behind. Return frying pan to heat and dip sliced bread into the egg mixture, fry the slices of egg soaked bread on both sides until cooked.
Remove bread from pan and place on a plate now add the fried sausage. at this stage you can add anything you fancy, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, jalapenos, hot sauce etc.

All ingredients are approximate and can be altered to taste.

Any questions please let me know.

Brilliant, Han! Thank you. :) (Jokes are good, too!)

It all looks good, especially the Samosas. :) I have to admit that, while I do not consider myself a vegetarian (yet) I am finding meat less and less palatable unless it comes from Whole Foods or the Farmer's Market, or a source I feel I can trust.

Back