• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

David Huggins & Jim Moseley (Nov 15th 2009)

Gen, nice to see you here again...

Huggins is indeed a very nice man, but I don't buy a word of his story, and the reason should be obvious to anyone who actually listened to the episode. There's one key question I asked him - a very simple one - and his answer was the clear evidence that his experiences are NOT objectively real. When you are supposedly involved in intimate sexual relations with someone over a period of many years, you notice how they smell. End of story. Forget all of the other many fallacies of his claims - he never asked them what they heck was going on, he never expressed remorse for not having more access to his many children (yet he claims that he had some sort of severe emotional response to the idea of one of his alien children dying? But he didn't care about the other 59 that he never saw?), he never questioned anything about what they were doing to him - all of that is almost moot, to say that he didn't remember what she smelled like, that's the key. And don't even get me started on the nonsense about him teaching the other two beings how to kiss - romantically - with no tongue. For chrissakes...

dB

Do you not think that there is an aspect of a test going on, where everything is meant to stimulate a reaction, which is then studied and noted. Like, it could be all staged, and not merely physically, but mentally too. Like he is being led through a strange play, nudged forward mentally every so often, but the primary goal is to see his reactions, and perhaps even effect some sort of a change within the mind of the individual. So, perhaps he doesn't remember what she smelled like cos they didn't bother with that aspect of the play. Like in a novel we never get the full description, only the things the writer thinks are important for us to know.

I have like 30 mins left, but this interview reminds me of the 'slaughterhouse- five', he seems to calmly be going in and out of these strange situations and just going along for the ride in and out of consciousness etc....

I don't believe his literal interpretations of his experiences because of what has already been pointed out on this thread. But I would not be surprised if there is real paranormal stuff going on that is manipulating his senses combined perhaps with some other mental issues he may have. He would not be the first artist to have some mental issues :)

Definitely a wild-ass story! I haven't heard it yet and perhaps it's coming, but does the guy have any physical evidence or doctor evaluation to back up any of these claims?

I too do not believe his story at all at face value, though I do not rule out the possibility that something has happened or is happening to him. By something I include the possibility of very interesting mental phenomena within his own mind. It could be mental illness, or something more complex than that.

I do have to say that the whole thing with "Crescent," like most contactee reports, sounds very very occult. That's one of the things I agree with Allen Greenfield on, though I don't agree with him on everything and think his "code" is a bit of paradolia. The whole experience sounds like something out of fairy lore, demonology, angelic visitation, etc. I've even heard ghost stories that sound like this.

These kinds of experiences also sound somewhat reminiscent of DMT trip reports. I find that fascinating. One of the things I got out of reading Robert Anton Wilson, Timothy Leary, Aldous Huxley, and other 60s consciousness movement thinkers was that we really don't give our own brains enough credit. There is a lot going on up there with conscious thought making up only a fraction of total activity. Our brains might actually create "mystical" experiences as a way for deeper parts of our cognitive apparatus to "break through" with messages that are so nonlinear that they don't translate any other way. In other words, our brains might augment our own reality as part of our normal cognition.

I suspect that this phenomenon, whatever it is, has nothing to do with UFOs at all. Their linkage in the culture is probably coincidental.

Here is a post from UFO MYSTIC, written by Nick Redfern. (Oct. 2nd, 2009)
(link)
UFOMystic Love in an Alien Purgatory

The entire post is copied below:

Love in an Alien Purgatory: The Life and Fantastic Art of David Huggins (Anomalist Books, 2009) is a book that is as intriguing and thought-provoking as it is unique and alternative.

Written by well-known UFO researcher Farah Yurdozu (who, originally from Turkey, lives in New York City and writes regularly for UFO Magazine), the book tells the story of one David Huggins, a skilled artist who has experienced a lifetime of encounters of a distinctly “alien abduction” nature with…well, some form of intelligence from elsewhere.

And that’s the refreshing thing about this book: it doesn’t force any particular theory on the reader. Indeed, as Farah notes, very wisely and astutely, early on: “Although we still have very little evidence indicating that these visitors are from another planet, it is reasonable to assume that they are coming from another realm that is completely different from our earthly reality.”

With that view, I am most definitely in agreement. And so, with that said, let’s press on.

I used the words “unique” and “alternative” above for a very good reason. Rather than laboriously chronicle his experiences with apparent entities from elsewhere on reams of paper or in Microsoft Word, Huggins has taken a much different approach: as a very talented artist, he has used canvas, oils and more. In other words, the book is a definitively visual diary of Huggins’ encounters; rather than a written one.

And what is the nature of those experiences? For the most part, they are of the type we have come to expect from people exposed to the “alien abduction” puzzle; such as: (A) childhood encounters with alien beings; (B) very personal and sexual experiences that seem to be linked with an agenda to create a hybrid, alien-human race; (C) evidence of longstanding interaction with advanced - yet curiously fragile, and perhaps even sickly - intelligences; (D) a suggestion that Huggins has been monitored on a large-scale for most of his life; and much more.

Of course, anyone who has had even the remotest exposure to accounts of alien abduction will instantly recognize that such assertions are absolutely staple parts of the subject. However, it’s the artwork that really makes Huggins’ story stand out.

After a fine introduction from Farah that firmly sets the scene, that relates the history of Huggins’ experiences, and that allows us to understand what it is that drives and motivates the man himself, we see his story unfold before our eyes via a large body of very skilled artwork.

Indeed, Huggins is extremely good at capturing the apparent other-worldly nature of his visitors from the outer-edge.

For example, he claims longstanding contact with a female being he names “Crescent” - who appears to be a classic example of a “hybrid” entity. And the paintings of Crescent that can be found on (particularly) pages 20 and 28 - as well as those of other alleged hybrids at the top of page 51 - do, to my mind, superbly serve to portray the truly alien nature of the entities at issue.

However, those same images also suggest a sense of eeriness and detachment; and perhaps even menace. But that’s just my own opinion, of course. Whatever the true nature of Huggins’ encounters, he is to be congratulated for portraying the creatures in a fashion that is both memorable and slightly unsettling.

I don’t know why I find them unsettling - but I do. Perhaps it’s the long-black wigs and the obvious attempts to try and pass themselves off as more human-like than they really are - as they seek to secretly and stealthily move among us - that makes me come to such a conclusion.

Actually, the one thing that stands out more than any other in my mind, is that the particular entities in question seem to conjure up imagery not of literal extraterrestrials, but of Mac Tonnies’ cryptoterrestrials - beings that originate right here on Earth, but who masquerade as aliens to hide their true nature and intent; which may not be entirely benign.

But, maybe I am wrong about the origin and intent of the creatures at issue. As I said, that’s just my own view, having digested the words, pages and many paintings contained in the book. Perhaps the story that Farah tells of Huggins’ experiences is a wholly positive one. Time, I earnestly hope, will tell.

Regardless of what lies at the heart of the alien abduction/hybrids story in general, and Huggins’ story in particular, Love in an Alien Purgatory is a truly fascinating study of one man who has experienced some bizarre - and, at times, distressing - events in his life, and who has used his own skills and talents to try and make some sense of those same events in a positive, uplifting and always visually-appealing fashion.

Folks, you can analyze this until the Sun burns out to a cinder, but sorry, the idea that someone could engage in one-on-one sexual intercourse without being acutely aware of the scent of the other participant is, in a word, ludicrous. Call me close-minded, but as I've said, there is nothing about David's story that adds up to me. Nada. I know that reality can be really, really weird, and that I myself have seen some rather unbelievable stuff, but regardless, there is a sense of internal logic that is woefully absent in Huggins' accounts. Just my opinion.

dB

Great episode, even made me like Mosley :).

I'm biased, but Mr. Moseley is the "Supreme Commander", of planet 'Saucer Smear' anyway. :D

David Huggins, well, Moseley likes him and takes his various yarns seriously, and that's fine.

IMHO, David's stories, as both Gene and David have articulated earlier, contain more logic holes than a well-worn sieve.

David can paint what he wants to paint, recall what he wants to recall and fantasize to his heart's content - but I ain't buying one bit of it, including the book!!

Cheers...

I think perhaps there may be some repressed memories coming to the surface in the form of these tales. A few times during the interview, I had a really... disturbed.. feeling, that some of what he was saying could have happened, but not with an alien.

Like that scene with the man behind the barn telling him to keep it between them. Or when he's having sex with that "alien"... yet he can't remember "her" being lubricated, it takes place right there with his pants around his legs and he's always in a submissive position.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but this sort of narrative, minus the aliens, isn't all that unfamiliar in our society, sadly.

Mr Huggins came across to me as a very likeable sort of guy, it would be nice to have a chat with him over a beer for instance. I wouldn't believe a word of what he had to say but it would beat most other pub chat.

I thought Gene and Dave were pretty easy on him really but I think this was appropriate. Seems little point in getting into it with someone like this as it solves nothing and only adds to the noise.

So glad David brought up the smell thing, that above all our senses has to be number one for triggering memories so I would assume any smell associated with that kind of memory is not something you would either forget or not notice.

Always glad to hear Jim Moseley though,
"diamond geezer" :)

Mark

but sorry, the idea that someone could engage in one-on-one sexual intercourse without being acutely aware of the scent of the other participant is, in a word, ludicrous.

I'd agree as long as we are talking about a physical event with a living thing (as we know it). But if his experiences are viewed as out-of-body, "astral" if you will, then missing sensory information would make sense.
And what if they were actually physical events but Crescent is actually an artificial device or something?
I'm not arguing for Huggins, in the end I think you're probably right about the story, but for me it's not the scent thing that sinks it.

I had a really... disturbed.. feeling, that some of what he was saying could have happened, but not with an alien.
Yeah, I wondered the same thing and about his sanity in general.

I found it interesting that, unless I heard wrong, he said the sexual experiences continue to this day but only 2 or 3 times a year. Why didn't anyone ask him about the instances that occurred this year? I don't think he could've used the "I don't remember well" excuse on those.

Folks, you can analyze this until the Sun burns out to a cinder, but sorry, the idea that someone could engage in one-on-one sexual intercourse without being acutely aware of the scent of the other participant is, in a word, ludicrous. Call me close-minded, but as I've said, there is nothing about David's story that adds up to me. Nada. I know that reality can be really, really weird, and that I myself have seen some rather unbelievable stuff, but regardless, there is a sense of internal logic that is woefully absent in Huggins' accounts. Just my opinion.

dB
You are right.

Pretty strange stuff. Could have used some more detail on the genetilia (sigh!). I don't quite get the program, though. If aliens were harvesting DNA, they wouldn't do it via sex. It's a test tube kind of thing so that they can manipulate it.

Given the propensities of male human beings I don't see what all the fuss is about. If an alien woman wanted sex from a human male, all she would have to say is, "Do me!" And most males would say, "I'm game!"

And about the lubrication thing. Hey, no problem!

I too do not believe his story at all at face value, though I do not rule out the possibility that something has happened or is happening to him. By something I include the possibility of very interesting mental phenomena within his own mind. It could be mental illness, or something more complex than that.

I just got through listening to most of it and have to agree. He seems to believe all he spoke of truly happened to him. There are no witnesses to any of his experiences either. He even states that his son was present during an encounter and was unable to see the being that was present. Then again could he just be making it all up? Who knows.

Gen, nice to see you here again...

Thanks!

When you are supposedly involved in intimate sexual relations with someone over a period of many years, you notice how they smell. End of story.

When you said this on the show, it made me stop and think. I've been married for five years and I don't remember what any of my old boyfriends smell like. Maybe I was just an inattentive partner. Of course, none of them were aliens.

Yeeeeeeeeah... I'm just gonna say that the whole non-human erotica thing is not my bag. I mean, I realize there's very little room in the whole UFO/Alien abduction lore thing for newcomers and good for him that he found a niche but... ick.

Anyone else find it more than weird that he's met with just about EVERY kind of alien being that's ever been reported? As he described his encounters I kept flashing back to my high school years. I remember being in our school library (yes, LIBRARY, no internet back then!) thumbing through some ratty copy of a book on UFOs published in the 70s that had an alien "guide" in the back 3rd or so with piss-poor line art illustrations depicting every type of alien being reported up til that point. Sounds like he's just taking cues from that book for reference material.

The whole thing just sounds made-up/imagined/delusional to me.

He has told me plenty of stories of an intense sexual nature, and he shares them in a way that is so unemotional and candid, that it leaves me perplexed.

Huggins' stories are absurd yet, as you say, he is very consistent about certain details.

I'm curious about why people are compelled to tell this very particular type of unbelievable story. During the interview, Huggins himself at times seemed to acknowledge that this is all just silly, but he is also obviously at least partially sincere. If he were going to just invent a story and even take the trouble to illustrate it, presumably he would consciously create something more compelling than this juvenilia.

And why did he not just invent an alien tongue on the spot when the hosts questioned him? It's not like Gene and David could go have a look! Whether or not aliens have tongues is strictly on the honor system, and perhaps it is significant that Huggins did not lie when he was given the opportunity.

So is Huggins suffering from a partial psychosis that others experience as well? 1950's-style contactees seem to have similar, very specific delusions. Less sex, more world peace, same idea.

But more "credible" well-known accounts of modern "alien" encounters differ from Huggins' only in texture and remembered detail, and the relative sophistication of the teller. So I'm not sure that by rejecting Huggins' story we are really separating truth from falsehood so much as we are distinguishing between a well-told story and a poorly-told (or poorly-remembered and poorly-integrated) one.

I am sure if you went back through medieval tales of encounters with fairies, you would similarly find accounts that were of Huggins-quality as well as Strieber-quality, as well as perhaps a few that just seemed outright schizophrenic and so therefore irrelevant (?). But the Huggins-level stories would be recorded as part of the spectrum of the "fairy" phenomenon, would they not?

Well-told stories told by thoughtful, credible witnesses are likelier to be true, I guess, but when all the stories are so similar in rough detail, it feels absurd that we are picking through all these accounts so painstakingly. This analysis is bringing up differences between the experiencers, but is it necessarily telling us more about the experience itself?

Are we analyzing the signal or the quality of the receiver?

When you are supposedly involved in intimate sexual relations with someone over a period of many years, you notice how they smell.

dB

I, too, thought that that question has sealed it.

In addition, the further interview went, the more it felt like it was nothing but a sort of a dream of his. He didn't seem to have an ability to question anything of what had happened to him. Not to imply that he wasn't curious or that he was simply ignorant etc. Rather I suggest that he demonstrated his lack of ability to stir events in any direction (apart from few moments when he demanded to touch his kids), which seem to indicate to me, more than anything else, that it was a dream state.

Interesting comments, Gen.

There are plenty of "experiencer" stories that have corroborating witnesses, physical evidence, and so on. David Huggns' story lacks those things. That's just one aspect that doesn't help this one seem believable. There are others pointed out in this thread. The "Betty Andreasson" story is very similar in many ways, but there is a lot more going on than just what Betty remembers.

That Mr Huggins is able to operate in this rational world without medication is to his credit.

I wouldn't be so sure about the 'normal family' bit when a child would rather listen to a large eyed alien hybrid instead of his own mother... makes no sense.

Gut feeling is that he effectively managed his schizoprenic delusions rather than face beatings by his father or judgment from his immediate family. You have to remember that the treatment of schizophrenia was crude back in the 50's, proper diagnosis and treatment appeared in 80's, 90's.

A review of this case by a psychiatrist would be great ;)

There are alot of symbols in his story, praying mantis, large eyed alien. The feeling of being observed, judged manipulated points to paranoia and schizophrenia. He was against a wall with mental issues and was in control enough to make a choice. Internalize and attempt to rationalize irrational delusions or face a beating from his father.

IMHO, the sexual component of his story is distorted sleep state compensation for a real world lack of female companionship.

Late adolescence and early adulthood are peak years for the onset of schizophrenia. In 40% of men and 23% of women diagnosed with schizophrenia, the condition arose before the age of 19.[9] These are critical periods in a young adult's social and vocational development, and they can be severely disrupted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

I guess I am playing the role of defender of David Huggins.

I've had long phone conversations with the guy, and I consider him a friend. So my opinion is perfectly biassed. I am not impartial.

Anyway - I like the guy. He encourages me to paint and draw more, and I can thank him for that. That sweet slow-talkin' way he presented himself on the show is exactly how he sounds on the phone. ANd that peaceful tone is something I enjoy when we talk. He called me out of the blue after seeing a drawing i did, he wanted to know the story behind it. After that, we ended up talking a lot. I'm repeating some stuff I wrote earlier, but my interactions with him tell a much richer story than the one you could glean from the 2-hour interview. Yes - His stories are weirdly dream like, and he says as much too.

He's talked to me at length about how his paintings are emerging in a spontaneous way. Some long buried memory will come to the surface, and he'll get inspired to paint it.

I believe the guy. Call me gullible. This is my gut talkin' and not my intellect. My intellect would never believe his strange story. Now, is it literal truth exactly as he describes it? No, I don't think so. But there is "something" going on with him. I think there is an other-worldy aspect to his story that I wouldn't be able to even attempt to describe.

Also - I work out of town a lot. I'm gone for a month at a time. There has been a pattern, when I return home after a long trip, David Huggins will call me within an hour of me walking in the door (sometimes within minutes). It's really funny. He doesn't know my travel plans or when I'm due home.

One time I got home, tired from a long drive, and I said to myself: "I better get a nap in before David calls." I crashed out on the couch and slept for an hour, woke up, and then the phone rang and it was him. It feels like I'm being reminded that my out-of-town work is over, and now that I'm home again, it's time to start dealin' with the weird stuff again.

Back