• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold Souls (2009) - IMDb

Cold Souls - with Paul Giametti

Paul Giamatti is an actor who becomes so impassioned with the characters and roles that he plays that he has trouble disassociating himself from the character after the scene is done. As a result, his mind and spirit are a tangled mass of emotions that he seems to have trouble separating from his own feelings. As he struggles to play Uncle Vanya, he reads an article in The New Yorker regarding "Soul Storage," which in fact is a procedural clinic that physically removes one's soul from his body.

@Constance

this is a beautiful vision - have you expressed this as a whole before on the forum?

This is so clearly said that I finally understand what you've been saying when you refer to "our experiential relationship to consciousness." I didn't see that you were referring to our being part of consciousness in general. (Pls correct me if I don't follow you correctly now.) We are individually and collectively connected to a holographically integrated (and continually added to) record of all conscious (including subconscious, unconscious, supraconscious) experience that takes place in the universe. Quantum physics tells us that all information is permanent, does not escape the universe, and indeed constitutes the universe in its physical integrity and expansion. As I see it, the most profound entanglements formed in our own experience as individuals issue from our intersubjective relations with others, weaving a fabric of personal bonds that cannot be broken or dissolved even by physical distance or bodily death. Our consciousnesses survive as intricately interwoven holistic information produced in and out of our individual experiential lives on earth. Everything we feel and think and do remains part of what each of us is and is involved both with those closest to us and with our species' development as a whole. Our souls are apparently indestructible and, indications are, continue to evolve once out of the body.

Not that I know of, Steve. I think we all inspire ideas and connections for one another in this thread, a good thing since we are dealing with so many subjects and sources of information brought here for consideration. Glad you liked the paragraph, and thanks for your response.

@Constance - I've been practicing some guided meditation on the body and emotions - It ties in with the early preconscious stages in that you can tune in to processes bring attention to things and trace their arising from the moment they enter awareness - now in Vispassana you recognize them and let them go returning to the breath because Buddhist liberation is predicated on quitting the mind - but you could combine this with discursive meditation (I will provide a link) - and trace thought across its lifetime in awareness or even as one works with it - a kind of mindful analysis or consciousness - by taking a very wide field of awareness I'll be interested to see what and when a thing enters consciousness and whether it's possible to determine where it comes from and where it goes

http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/...k-IMC-introduction_to_meditation_emotions.mp3

http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/...Park-IMC-introduction_to_mindfulness_body.mp3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
@Constance - I've been practicing some guided meditation on the body and emotions - It ties in with the early preconscious stages in that you can tune in to processes bring attention to things and trace their arising from the moment they enter awareness - now in Vispassana you recognize them and let them go returning to the breath because Buddhist liberation is predicated on quitting the mind - but you could combine this with discursive meditation (I will provide a link) - and trace thought across its lifetime in awareness or even as one works with it - a kind of mindful analysis or consciousness - by taking a very wide field of awareness I'll be interested to see what and when a thing enters consciousness and whether it's possible to determine where it comes from and where it goes.

It's difficult to catch the prereflective state before something pulls us out of it. I think all attempts to observe the stream of one's consciousness are helpful in acquainting us with the openness and fluidity and complexity of consciousness as we live in it in our waking (and also dreaming) experience.

I'm always amazed by how our minds link even traces of ideas to other streams of thought we've entertained or read. So much of what I think has been inspired by the poetry of Wallace Stevens and the ideas I've entertained in proximity to reading it that even years later I find phrases and lines from his poetry coming up for me at points of connection with what I'm reading in the present in phenomenological philosophy, philosophy of mind, consciousness studies, and other subjects. It's like the poetry ignited many hundreds of neural or synaptic connections that have lain dormant and then spring to life in technicolor when appropriate or needed.

This is so clearly said that I finally understand what you've been saying when you refer to "our experiential relationship to consciousness." I didn't see that you were referring to our being part of consciousness in general. (Pls correct me if I don't follow you correctly now.) We are individually and collectively connected to a holographically integrated (and continually added to) record of all conscious (including subconscious, unconscious, supraconscious) experience that takes place in the universe. Quantum physics tells us that all information is permanent, does not escape the universe, and indeed constitutes the universe in its physical integrity and expansion. As I see it, the most profound entanglements formed in our own experience as individuals issue from our intersubjective relations with others, weaving a fabric of personal bonds that cannot be broken or dissolved even by physical distance or bodily death. 1) Our consciousnesses survive as intricately interwoven holistic information produced in and out of our individual experiential lives on earth. Everything we feel and think and do remains part of what each of us is and is involved both with those closest to us and with our species' development as a whole. 2) Our souls are apparently indestructible and, indications are, continue to evolve once out of the body.

Constance,
In terms of the frame work of your amazing response, by which I am genuinely STUNNED in appreciation, I cannot do it justice at this moment due to the fact that I have so little of that mysterious stuff called time. But, I will state that I chopped down your response specifically for context's sake in what will be my "primer" introductory response via all that time has to afford me right now.

I agree 100%, with discrepancies in aspect only concerning the emboldened above, however there are some fascinating speculative refinements that we could all put to the test, entertain so to speak, concerning these conceptual aspect differentials.

Both 1), and 2) denoted above in your response will be where my response to come, later today I hope, will linearly pick up and take off from. Again, my apologies for this ridiculously trite response, relatively speaking.

I haven't finished part 1 so I don't know if you actually find out what G -d is ... 1230 in interesting discussion of the ordinary mind as atheistic

She is no Jordan Peterson . . . what is up with the hat?? I don't watch the videos, download as mp3 and listen offline - but it IS very good on Religion, Science and Magic, history and inter-relationship of - all three are active today, Religion (which didn't go away with the rise of Science) and Magic is VERY much around in terms of entertainment, advertising (Thaumatugry) and personal consumption . . . lots of practitioners out there

worth re-posting, I am up to lecture 4 now

@Soupie

around 16 minutes he talks about Adam & Eve story predating Judaism and that oral history can be preserved as long as 25,000 years unchanged . . . that the Adam and Eve story was about mankind becoming self conscious . . . don't know how this jibes with the ideas about consciousness in pre-Homeric Greeks?

18:30 note comments on free will

around 16 minutes he talks about Adam & Eve story predating Judaism and that oral history can be preserved as long as 25,000 years unchanged . . . that the Adam and Eve story was about mankind becoming self conscious . . . don't know how this jibes with the ideas about consciousness in pre-Homeric Greeks?

Initial chapters of the Old Testament were written down by Abraham. Abraham was an initiate/priest from out of the Sumerian city of Ur who had been sent out from the great mystery center of Ur with a task/instructions to collect the tribes on the (Arabian) peninsula and forge 'a people'. He was writing down a very selected group of Sumerian stories/history which he morphed a bit to suit his purposes. The Sumerian story of Utnapishtam is the original Noah story. Abraham changed it - or left a lot out.

Last edited:
Interesting! ... do you mean a psychic connection? Do you have some examples?
Yeah. I've experienced this connection with my own family. I'm not saying it is for sure psychic, but I'm certainly open to that being the case.

Here is an article from the speaker featured above:
Apparent Telepathy Between Babies and Nursing Mothers - A Survey

In nursing mothers, breast milk becomes available for feeding the baby through a physiological process called the let-down reflex, mediated by the hormone oxytocin, which is produced in the pituitary gland. As the let-down occurs, many women experience a tingling sensation in their breasts, and often the nipples begin to leak. This reflex takes only a few seconds and is usually triggered by the stimulation of the nipple by the baby, the sound of the baby crying, or even just by thinking about the baby (Stoppard, 1985).

Some nursing mothers claim that when they are away from the baby they often know when the baby needs them because their milk lets down (Eason, 1992). Here are two representative examples, taken from dozens I have received in response to appeals for information from mothers on this subject:

When my youngest son was a baby, I had the experience of my milk ‘letting down’ when I was away from him. This was accompanied by a ‘knowing’ that he needed me. When I would phone home, the sitter would always confirm that he had just awakened. Since he nursed on demand, he was never on a schedule. (Mrs C.L, Arlington, Washington State, USA).

I have 7 children, the eldest is now 12 and the youngest 7 months. I have fed 6 of my children and each time have experienced the ‘let down reflex’ when I leave them. I know when my baby cries when we are apart. The very second I think she may be crying I leak. When I get home she has usually been crying at the time I have leaked. My husband says that my boobs are like arials. I’m sure I can pick up their crying for miles. (Mrs P.B., Blackburn, Lancashire)​

Most women who have had this kind of experience seem to take it for granted, and assume that it depends on a psychic bond. ...

Last edited:
Yeah. I've experienced this connection with my own family. I'm not saying it is for sure psychic, but I'm certainly open to that being the case.

Here is an article from the speaker featured above:

I'm missing a link? to the speaker featured above ... ?

I heard sheldrake in trialogue with McKenna and Abrams - very sharp fellow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back