• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Close Call

Free episodes:

Hmmmm. Well I didn't even see a story from NASA until after it happenned. And I guess I did read some reports from mainstream sources, but again, after the fact. I could be wrong about the apparent lack of reporting.

Hmmmm. Well I didn't even see a story from NASA until after it happenned. And I guess I did read some reports from mainstream sources, but again, after the fact. I could be wrong about the apparent lack of reporting.

I'm leaning towards you on that one. I never heard about it until this thread, and I read the paper everyday, watch local news each night, and usually have the radio on a couple times a day during news breaks.

Didn't see anything about it on my home page when I connect to the internet, either. Now, the day before and after, I was occupied with preparing our tax returns, but still...

on that note, I didn't know until this morning, when the radio was talking about Larry King's memories of Paul Harvey, that he had died! Paul Harvey, that is.

So, two big items in a week or so, and no major coverage... what gives? :confused:

We knew about this asteroid on Friday. Why didn't we hear about it on Friday? Or Saturday? Or even Sunday?? It was closest I think on Monday.

And this piece comes out on Wednesday?? It just seems odd.

We knew about this asteroid on Friday. Why didn't we hear about it on Friday? Or Saturday? Or even Sunday?? It was closest I think on Monday.

And this piece comes out on Wednesday?? It just seems odd.

Some did hear of it then I think, or at least when it was closest. People might not have known about it til 24 hrs before it hit the news. My mom described pics that were shown from cnn. I heard about it via the net, I don't watch much tv.

It looks like it almost hit a UFO, too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w9lIXj3flQw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w9lIXj3flQw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I noticed that no one is discussing the "2009 FH" asteroid that came close to the Earth on March 18.

2009 FH swoops by Earth - Planetary News | The Planetary Society

BTW, from reading astronomy sites, neither of these asteroids would have caused global events if they hit. They could have wiped out a city, or caused a tsunami. The asteroid that hit in 1908 was estimated to be 50 meters across. "2009 DD45" was between 30 and 50 meters, and "2009 FH" was estimated at 15 meters across.

I live in Northern New England and last night 3/23/2009 I saw 2 shooting stars go overhead. the second one was rather large and had a tail like a comet. It seemed low, and was a weird yellowish color.

I knew there was a reason the Planter's Peanut-Man gave me the creeps.

Attachments

• asteroid-apophis-625x450.jpg
    asteroid-apophis-625x450.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 13
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 13
Back