• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Best fiction sci-fi films /comics

ooh Sci-Fi ~~ melikey.

For films:

1. Galaxy Quest.

2. Galaxy Quest.

3. Galaxy Quest.

4. Galaxy Quest !!!!

5. Star Trek First Contact :redface: (Honourable mention to Galaxy Quest.)

Comic Books.... hmm-- This might take a little more thought.

TV Series

1. Deep Space Nine
DS9-DS9-DS9-DS9-DS9-DS9-DS9-DS9!!!!!!

2. Primeval

(I could go on forever,so it's probably best to stop right here.)
"Doctor Who" is cool as well. I kind of like the old series more than the new (post movie) series. K-9ftw.

isolated_objec_autot.jpg

Well i loved Space1999

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/elninjo69/CASLO54Z.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/elninjo69/CACHY30H.jpg

It was the realism that i liked the most

Prior to that UFO by gerry anderson was a friday night treat for a 5 year old lad. (was allowed to stay up till 9:00pm to watch it)

Dr Who and Star Wars

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/elninjo69/005-6.jpg

The books at eye level behind the stormtrooper are all Dr Who novels, i collect them as a hobby, i was in one of my local bookstores the other day and the lady asked me what my holy grails were, ie books i was looking for but havent found yet, i said Dr Who and the pyramids of mars, which is one of the few tom bakers ones i dont have , she typed away at her computer and said i can get it in for you.
I said dont you dare, if i wanted to get it off ebay/amazon i could do it myself, but i'd rather just keep looking in musty old 2nd hand bookstores, its not the having, its the thrill of the chase.
I have so many i need to take a list of the ones i have with me when i go a hunting, so's to be sure i dont double up, sometimes i will buy a duplicate copy as the covers are sometimes different between editions
I did pick POM up on DVD last week though, they were giving away a free Dr who scarf with purchase.

Comic books..... Thats easy, i was a big fan of 2000AD a british sci fi comic, and the home of judge dredd.
I even have a mint original of the very first JD story printed, Dan Dare was also a regular story.

2001 a Space Odyssey
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original)
Aliens
The Thing (both versions)
The Matrix Series

Fantastic Four v1 1-100
Metabarons by Alexandro Jodorowsky
The Eternals v1 by Jack Kirby

Film wise, I think an underappreciated one is Gattaca. I'm not sure what I'd actually put as my view of the best though, as there are so many good choices and I am bad at choosing in that sort of case. TV-wise, my favorite lines up with kukalakana's choice there with DS9, which I should really watch again sometime as I haven't in quite a while. Though I'm not sure if they're technically best, I think it's a start personal-view wise.

best Sci-fi

An Inconvenient Truth

LOL you would say that.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

I also am a huge Battlestar Gallactica fan. If you haven't watched it, try to the first few episodes.

Film wise, I think an underappreciated one is Gattaca.
I love Gattaca -- and there are so many subtle hidden references to DNA and eugenics (Such as Jude Law's character being called Eugene, and the title GATTACA based on the letters in a string of genetic code.) That's one I must watch again at some point!

As far as really good quality series go, I would also go with the early X-files (Later ones, not so much -- I think they dropped the ball a little after about the hundredth season...) With DS9 I think the strong points were definitely its characters and epic historical / "geographical" (for want of a better word) / political / cultural backdrop.

There is also an early docu-drama, The War Game, which sticks in my mind as being something very disturbing. And I couldn't think of a comic that I really liked before, but I think I'm going to go with X-men, because it has interesting characters and drama, but also portrays some pretty universal social issues such as "difference" and institutional paranoia in a very interesting manner.

Of course there are more (heaps more) but that's it from me for now.

Though I wouldn't really class it as sci fi, favourite comic: Watchmen, as for fave sci film.... depends what mood you catch me in.... one day it'll be earth Vs the flying saucers, next day it'll be the update of Solaris.... then maybe it could be Dark Star (Alien is merely a poor bystander compared to this ha ha ha..)..

Blade Runner, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Men In Black I & II, Independence Day, Minority Report, Equilibrium, The Matrix, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (with Donald Sutherland) 2001 A Space Odyssey, 2010 Space Odyssey, Blue Thunder (all with the late Roy Scheider) ET The Extraterrestrial,
and I like -all- of the Lucas Star Wars series, and -all- of the Star Trek movies.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (with Donald Sutherland)
hehe That's kind of funny because the first movie I remember seeing Donald Sutherland in was an adaptation of The Puppet Masters! He must like the whole creepy alien possession scenario or something.

The first 'Alien' movie, other classics like Bladerunner and 2001 a close second. Recently I liked 'Moon' and 'Sunshine'.

Among my favorites:
Novel: War of the Worlds by HG Wells
Movie: Contact
TV: Twilight Zone
Comics: EC's Weird Science

Babylon 5, The new battlestar,X files and the best books are the Hyperion series!

I have to agree with the Hyperion series as one of the best. It has THE most thought provoking central theme of any book I've ever read.

Other books "Stranger in a Strange Land", "Childhoods End", " anything by Larry Niven.

Blade Runner, Aliens, Forbidden Planet, the original and uncut and un-super-updated with flashy new effects Star Wars as the best movies.

Best scifi in TV......Babylon Five and the original SDtar Trek are tied for me.

I've been getting into that show of late, downloading the episodes from Netflix. I'm in the early part of Season 2, so no spoilers please.

I have a hard time sticking with a dramatic television show for a long time. Seems that no matter how good it might be the neverending nature of it wears on me eventually and I just stop. Followed X-Files for just 4 seasons or so, stopped watching Lost in the 4th season, gave up on Fringe midway into the 3rd. I liked all of those but just got bored eventually. Wish there were more shows like Twilight Zone and Outer Limits because you don't have to follow a continuing storyline forever.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

Btw, it's kinda' unrelated (But is relevant to sci-fi and entertainment) but I'm midway through a novel right now I think would interest some people here. It's called The Stickmen by Edward Lee. Lee is a prolific author of mostly horror so The Stickmen is a bit of a departure for him (Although he wrote another piece about UFOs called Operator B). It's about UFOs and has crashes, abductions, conspiracies, MJ-12, all that stuff. Seems to me that he must be a bit of a buff because this has obviously been written by someone pretty well-versed in the lore. He might be trying to make the main character appear a little too hip with all the wise-cracking during dialog but overall it's been a pretty good read so far.

Back