• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Behind the Mask: Aliens or Cosmic Jokers?

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[Oh boy, here's someone else who thinks that a tricksterish mechanism is at work and play in our reality. What will they think of next? ---chris]

Article HERE:
By LYNN PICKNETT & CLIVE PRINCE
In the 1970s, when we first became fascinated by the UFO phenomenon, opinion among researchers was divided between two views: the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis (ETH) – UFOs are spacecraft from other worlds; and the ‘Magonian Hypothesis’ (after the 1970 book by the intelligent Ufologists’ hero Jacques Vallée, Passport to Magonia). Pro-Magonians believe something from Earth is behind UFOs, a race of tricksters that surface from time to time as alleged angels, visions of the Virgin, demons, fairies – and now, space-travelling aliens? They’ve just updated their image.

The theory acknowledges the close parallels between alien encounters and experiences with non-human entities that litter the annals of folklore. But it also recognises the often-reported absurdity and pointlessness – the ‘high strangeness’ – which challenge the simplistic notion of UFOs as technological craft crewed by biological entities. It was this Monty Pythonesque quality that led investigator John A. Keel to develop his ‘ultraterrestrial’ hypothesis – the aliens are visitors from another plane of existence – outlined in the 1973 classic UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse.

However, since 1980 this approach has lost ground to the ETH – a pity, as it offers a more complete explanation of the whole phenomenon. Even ETH-ers usually acknowledge a paranormal component in alien contact, most obviously in the mental manipulation of abductees, often at a distance. There’s also the most direct psychic contact, the channelling of alleged extraterrestrial entities.

The ETH has become so dominant partly because the Magonian approach challenges our cherished consensus reality so outrageously, whereas the concept of space ships from other planets doesn’t. Also, high-profile cases such as Roswell, Area 51 and Majestic 12 – all firmly based on the ET interpretation and centred on government conspiracies and cover-ups – came to dominate Ufology in the 1980s. But paradoxically they derive from the very agencies allegedly behind the conspiracy. In fact, trace any famous case back to its source and you will find that one way or another it originated within the military and intelligence community.

(It always amazes us that Ufologists often obey the unwritten rule: never believe anything that anyone in government, the military or the intelligence community tells you – unless it’s that UFOs are real ETs in secret contact with world authorities. Then believe everything they tell you…)
In fact, far from trying to cover up the existence of UFOs, government agencies have actively encouraged belief in them – specifically the ETH. Our own research has convinced us that this ‘Federal Hypothesis’ is the most accurate, and indeed there is a groundswell of similar opinion, as seen in Mark Pilkington’s recent Mirage Men and Lynn’s Mammoth Book of UFOs (2001). It does seem the whole UFO thing has been exploited – maybe even invented – to provide a convenient cover for all sorts of black ops, from testing secret aircraft to psychological warfare experiments. Even this, however, barely scrapes the surface of the sinister goings-on associated with over six decades of UFO research.
Enter the Nine

In the late 1990s we researched a story packed with all the paradoxes and questions just discussed, as detailed in our The Stargate Conspiracy (1999, updated 2000). These events represent either the biggest and most concerted attempt yet at extraterrestrial intervention – or a criminal manipulation of the belief in it. Either way, it’s sensational and terrifying.

The central character is the American Army physician and parapsychologist Andrija Puharich (1918-1995) who experimented with stimulating psychic abilities using hypnosis, psychoactive drugs and electrical devices. He was also obsessed with the possibility of psychic communication with non-human intelligences. Rest of the Article HERE:

Because the biological entities from somewhere else aspect , is exactly the sort of "centric" conclusion biological entities like ourselves are wont to make.

In a scenario where they might be ET or Time travelling humans, the transbiological hypothesis seems likely

What this means is that if the trends of the past 50 years continue, in 17 years’ time we will be able to upload an electronic replica of your mind on to a machine.

There will be two of you – one a flesh-and-blood animal, the other inside a computer’s circuits.

This is imo the big picture, one that as biological beings we miss.

We are fish in a bowl trying to describe a world of planes trains and automobiles.

Excellent article, thanks for the link Chris. I think this article helps me to understand a little better where you are coming from with your Trickster hyphotosis. However, while reading it I was struck by a thought that I had not seriously considered in a while. If this is true and we are in contact with an "other" it opens up a can of worms that will never be closed. It puts everything from the L.A. Marzuli demons and evil to the Trickster to the Djinn to Seth and Jane Roberts back into play. Maybe, that is the biggest "trick" of all. You keep all the religious and psychic research and new age clap trap all jumbled together so that the "truth" is always covered. Then from the "human or C.I.A." types you bring in E.T. and flying saucers and keep everybody off balance. Anyway, not saying that's what is happening. I really doubt there is a single simple answer. But, it certainly gave me some stuff to think about this morning. :cool:

Because the biological entities from somewhere else aspect , is exactly the sort of "centric" conclusion biological entities like ourselves are wont to make.

In a scenario where they might be ET or Time travelling humans, the transbiological hypothesis seems likely

This is imo the big picture, one that as biological beings we miss.

We are fish in a bowl trying to describe a world of planes trains and automobiles.

Yeah I can dig that... lets face it the more we come to understand even in a limited way any of these phenomena the more we just simply do not know or understand or for that matter are we asking the right questions. Such as it is we end up like the hypothetical people of a two dimensional world trying to understand in a 2D way what a 3D world would be like.

I as well subscribe to the "I don't know" school of thought Chris.

Is there a trickster element to it all or are we all just paranoid :D .. sorry I could not help that.

stonehart:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Everytime I see that I just want to applaud. ;) I have found that statement to be true no matter what the subject or what side of the aisle you find yourself on.

stonehart:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Everytime I see that I just want to applaud. ;) I have found that statement to be true no matter what the subject or what side of the aisle you find yourself on.

:) Thanks Tyder

It has to be my all time favorite quote from Mr Russell, for just like you I find it to hold true no matter the subject.

Back