• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Attack on Christianity? and other concepts I have a problem with.

Free episodes:

I would welcome a book on this phenomenon by a thoughful Christian who was capable of making a well-reasoned argument.

Try this:

UFO Religions

Michael Heiser was called one of the top 100 most important people in UFOlogy by Fate magazine.

He comes from a Christian perspective, but not a dogmatic, in your face kind of thing. He also has videos on youtube etc. and if you have an open mind, I think they are amazingly interesting.

just a quick excerpt:

"if there are real space aliens, then they cannot be demons, since demons do not conform to these criteria in biblical theology. That said, such aliens could certainly be evil and demonic (using the adjective, not the noun) and unworthy of trust in any way. It would also mean that such beings cannot be angels for the same reason. They would just be aliens, a separate category. But the point is of course moot without proof of actual aliens. If aliens are interdimensional, though, then things change. The demon equation goes back on the table (I’ll explain in part 4)."

The Veritas show is definitely more your speed, have fun. We'll miss you, oh yeah.

In the world I inhabit, respect is something that is earned, not just handed to anyone who demands it. But then again, we're not all at that same place.

I hear the voice of Bob™, it's best I go now.

dB

To cprisk:
David and Gene are definitely in attack-mode on this guy (they-slung-poo at him again this week, proving what he claimed about professing Christs name during an abduction to stop it was NOT the popular method to cease the activity), and to an extent it's their right. It is, after all their podcast and they can say whatever they wish. I do agree with you that the Christianity aspect should not be off-handedly tossed out, and doing so by people who admit they, themselves, do not know what is going on is slightly hypocritical, but in the same sense there are degrees of possibility for any aspect of the unknown.
Even as a Christian myself I do not subscribe to the idea that aliens = demons or angels. Honestly I believe an extra-terrestrial explaination is more likely (in the scope of aliens being inter-dimentional/ultra-terrestrial, etc...) For me the idea that aliens are the evolved form of demons or a modernized form of mythology falls into my gray basket, and that's where I stand, humbly.
I think it may be a good idea that you stop listening to, or following the Paracast if you feel as strongly as you reflect in your post. For me, I still see a lot of value in the Paracast, in fact find it very refreshing in many ways, even if I disagree with a few of Gene and David's stances. Like I said, though; it's their Podcast and they'll do with it as they wish.

Respectfully, J.

check out my post above, you will probably really enjoy Micheal Heiser's work.

I'm also trying to wade through Heiser's work. I just read part 1 of his series on his aliens blog. I'll try to finish the series tomorrow sweet god it's like trudging through molasses. So far it looks like he hasn't gotten the part where the bible was written by bronze age people that didn't understand jack shit about anything. I'll keep an open mind though and try to finish all four parts that are up there.

I just did the same. I have to admit it is slow going. It's just one of those traits of academic writing. You have to be persistent, put your head down, and slog through it. Still, an interesting read so far....

Yes, he does go into biblical history etc. but it may be on a different one of his blogs, he keep about 4 going.

They are all very academic, but I do think it's a good example of what the Christian perspective is for the most part on UFO's, ghosts etc. which he touches on on different blogs.

I have heard the "Natives can't see the boat" story a lot, but I'm not sure if it's true. It sounds like a sort of modern folklore.

I think that's modern folklore. I think it would have more likely been that they saw the boat, but didn't understand exactly what it was.

However, there is a lot of evidence that people came to the Americas a long time ago on boats, way before the Spaniards. So I think the natives knew what boats were. They probably just had better experiences with people on boats in the past and no reason to fear them.

I have witnessed religious people who just wont accept something. Back when the Martian meteorite was found with the possible fossilized bacterium, I worked at a place and was in the kitchen when a born-again Christian co-worker came in, saw the newspaper on the table with the headline about finding life on Mars, and she said "that's not true!". So I asked her why she felt that way, and she said "because the bible says so"...

Of course it says nothing of the kind, and even says that in in "God's realm there are many dwellings", but she believed that we were the only life in the Universe, so any evidence found to the contrary was invalid. She was a bright person too, but didn't question her dogma.

Another BAC that worked in the same place started talking to me about Noah and the arc one day. Just out of left field. So I said something like "you don't actually believe that story, do you?" He did. So I asked him how Noah collected unknown animals to him, like the Platypus. And how did he get to Australia and how did he get those Australian animals back after the arc got stuck on the mountain. And how did he know what to feed them, and why didn't the predators eat the pray animals.. etc, etc.

Of course the answer was God has many powers... but not enough powers to stop the flood? :confused: It's unwavering faith in something, no matter if it makes no sense.

My other favorite question is what race were Adam and Eve. ;)

So I firmly believe that if something is beyond someone's belief system, they wont want to acknowledge it's there. It's all about fear.

It would also mean that such beings cannot be angels for the same reason.

Angels, demons? Gee, angels are not to be messed with ... I'm not sure why people see them as something positive. In all the old stories they came for the purpose to kick some butt and dispense punishment! :D

But he has some good points. We sure do have a lot of old stories of beings coming down from the heavens with supernatural powers, and nothing to support that they have anything to do with any kind of "religion", except what they told humans to do, and that seems like a control tactic.

Back