• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Whole Branch of Science Turns Out To Be Fake!

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[Psychiatry is nothing more than the deaf leading the blind, categorizing 297 types of mental disease so that the drug companies can target their marketing for new drugs. Disgusting and disturbing eye-opening piece! —chris]

by Jon Rappoport

Article HERE:

“The ‘Reality Manufacturing Company’ not only turns out the past, present, and future for mass consumption. It explains why things are the way they are. It appoints itself the master of attributing causes, the king of cause and effect.” (The Underground, Jon Rappoport)

Devotees of science often assume that what is called science is real and true. It must be. Otherwise, their faith is broken. Their superficial understanding is shattered. Their “superior view” of the world is torpedoed. Such people choose unofficial “anti-science” targets to attack. They never think of inspecting their own house for enormous fraud.

For example: psychiatry.

An open secret has been slowly bleeding out into public consciousness for the past ten years.
THERE ARE NO DEFINITIVE LABORATORY TESTS FOR ANY SO-CALLED MENTAL DISORDER. And along with that: ALL SO-CALLED MENTAL DISORDERS ARE CONCOCTED, NAMED, LABELED, DESCRIBED, AND CATEGORIZED by a committee of psychiatrists, from menus of human behaviors.

Their findings are published in periodically updated editions of The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), printed by the American Psychiatric Association. For years, even psychiatrists have been blowing the whistle on this hazy crazy process of “research.”

Of course, pharmaceutical companies, who manufacture highly toxic drugs to treat every one of these “disorders,” are leading the charge to invent more and more mental-health categories, so they can sell more drugs and make more money.

But we have a mind-boggling twist. Under the radar, one of the great psychiatric stars, who has been out in front in inventing mental disorders, went public. He blew the whistle on himself and his colleagues. And for several years, almost no one noticed. His name is Dr. Allen Frances, and he made VERY interesting statements to Gary Greenberg, author of a Wired article: “Inside the Battle to Define Mental Illness.” (Dec.27, 2010). Major media never picked up on the interview in any serious way. It never became a scandal.

Dr. Allen Frances is the man who, in 1994, headed up the project to write the latest edition of the psychiatric bible, the DSM-IV. This tome defines and labels and describes every official mental disorder. The DSM-IV eventually listed 297 of them.

In an April 19, 1994, New York Times piece, “Scientist At Work,” Daniel Goleman called Frances “Perhaps the most powerful psychiatrist in America at the moment…”Well, sure. If you’re sculpting the entire canon of diagnosable mental disorders for your colleagues, for insurers, for the government, for Pharma (who will sell the drugs matched up to the 297 DSM-IV diagnoses), you’re right up there in the pantheon.

Long after the DSM-IV had been put into print, Dr. Frances talked to Wired’s Greenberg and said the following: “There is no definition of a mental disorder. It’s bullshit. I mean, you just can’t define it.”

BANG.

That’s on the order of the designer of the Hindenburg, looking at the burned rubble on the ground, remarking, “Well, I knew there would be a problem.” After a suitable pause, Dr. Frances remarked to Greenberg, “These concepts [of distinct mental disorders] are virtually impossible to define precisely with bright lines at the borders.”

Frances should have mentioned the fact that his baby, the DSM-IV, had unscientifically rearranged earlier definitions of ADHD and Bipolar to permit many MORE diagnoses, leading to a vast acceleration of drug-dosing with highly powerful and toxic compounds. Finally, at the end of the Wired interview, Frances flew off into a bizarre fantasy:

“Diagnosis [as spelled out in the DSM-IV] is part of the magic…you know those medieval maps? In the places where they didn’t know what was going on, they wrote ‘Dragons live here’…we have a dragon’s world here. But you wouldn’t want to be without the map.”

Translation: Patients need hope for the healing of their troubles; so even if we psychiatrists are shooting blanks and pretending to know one kind of mental disorder from another, even if we’re inventing these mental-disorder definitions based on no biological or chemical diagnostic tests—it’s a good thing, because patients will then believe and have hope; they’ll have hope because psychiatrists place a label on their problems…

Needless to say, this has nothing to do with science. REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

The cause of the hallucinations could not be deciphered, but the woman was given treatment and is now free of the horrific hallucinations. Doctors used a conventional anti-dementia medication, rivastigmine, to treat her. This helped solve the problem but it did not provide any sort of reasoning or understanding to the medical condition.
According to Discover Magazine, the hallucinations had previously taken a toll on her social and professional life. She shared that she could not stick on to one job due to the dragon faces that she everywhere. It strained her relationships with people around her as well. Hence, the medication and treatment tremendously aided her recovery. She is now able to mingle and interact with people normally. She has also been able to move on with a stable professional life and her relationships with her colleagues have also improved.
Her medical case report is published in The Lancet: Prosopometamorphopsia and facial hallucinations. The study was conducted by a group of researchers including the renowned Oliver Sacks.

Mysterious Medical Condition: Woman Reported Seeing Dragon Faces Everywhere

Oh man, it's about time someone started to denounce this. They still explain all kinds of "aberrant" conditions, such as a child's belief to have lived before, or the feeling of not being in the "right" body, or being gay or bisexual with "chemical imbalances" and would call them mental disorders. Totally unable to look at the good work being done in the fringes.

Have any of you had PERSONAL experience under the care of a really good psychiatrist? I HAVE.

Therefore, this hit piece really annoys me. It seems like another version of the anti-vax crusade that has resulted in a lot of little children getting the measles, which if untreated can result in DEATH for infants.

If even 1 person with serious emotional/mental issues is dissuaded from seeing a psychiatrist because of this article it is on your head, Chris.

In 2010 I began having serious problems with depression (to the point of having planned out a method of suicidie = going to the highest parking garage in downtown Phoenix and throwing myself off the roof) and constant anxiety (to the point of ripping my shirts off and crying incessantly).

I finally went to a local ER, and was blessed to find a GP with a real sense of caring. In that hectic world of the ER, he spent an HOUR with me, which is unheard of. By the way, I had a friend with me because I could not have possibly driven there myself at this point. He put me on Xanax (anti-anxiety medication) and recommended I see a psychiatrist immediately. I was very alarmed at this, yelling "I am not crazy!" His calm response was that a regular GP does not have the skills necessary to deal with this kind of "injury", although some GP's try, much to the detriment of the patient. Traditional psychiatrists still perform therapy, although much of this has been delegated to psychologists.

Surprisingly, one of the top 10 psychiatrists in the USA lives and practices in the Phoenix area. For 10 years straight he was voted one of the top 10 by his nationwide peers.

He immediately took me off Xanax, saying it is incredibly habit forming and shouldn't be prescribed to anyone.

He noted that FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES ONLY he had to pick a diagnosis from DSM-IV, although he stated that THIS IS PURELY FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES SINCE INSURANCE DEMANDS A DIAGNOSIS AND A CODE to reimburse the patient. He, however, found little value in the DMS-IV otherwise since he did not like stamping labels on people. He repeatedly told me that he did not want me to see my symptoms as an "it", an object, an enemy. Instead, the symptoms reflected an underlying problem that may have built up over many years.

He said that before I could engage in therapy with him, my brain and body needed to be stabilized. So he prescribed an anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety drug. But these were only to help me reach a state of stability so that working with the psychiatrist would be possible. It is impossible to have effective therapy if your mind and body are in a depressed high anxiety state.

Therefore, I took the medications. It took a few weeks to adjust but I suddenly found myself feeling normal again.

Then for the next 3 years I had weekly therapy. He used Freudian and Jungian methodology. The foundation of this therapy is that a large part of our actions and emotional state can be traced to subconscious memories and programming that is counter productive to the current adult. Much of this programming happens as a child. If, like me, you have right wing fundamentalist Christian harsh parents, was also gay and tormented in school, and grew up to manage the entire IT department of a large company, then there's a lot of noxious stuff (The Shadow) to be released.

We addressed my alien abduction memories. He assured me that I was not his first client who revealed such memories. No hypnosis was used. Just talking to him in the completely private world of his office revealed much that had previously been buried. Suddenly, many situations suddenly popped into memory. This was NOT easy therapy.

The point is that this man cared deeply. If not for him, I WOULD BE DEAD RIGHT NOW. My suicidal thoughts were so severe that I was only days from committing the act when my friend took me to the ER instead.

This obsessive fear you have of medications is unfounded. If you have high blood pressure, do you also refuse to take any medication? How about diabetes? He said there was really no difference. Neither of the other two problems are healed by taking medication, but they allow a patient to live a normal life! They sustain life where otherwise it would stop. But somehow medications for mental illness are exempt and should not be used?

I continue to take an anti-depressant that has been prescribed for people like me for over 35 years. It has had a long time to prove itself or reveal any long term negative impacts. I also take a very small dose of anti-anxiety medication, although the psychiatrist (who I now see only twice a year for 15 minutes to do a status check), is helping me to safely reduce the dosage. By June, I should be off this medication.

I think it is appalling that anyone would trash this profession, especially if you have not needed it. Have you had clinical depression to the point where you could not feed yourself, cloth yourself or function at all? Do you think such a mental problem can be solved by thinking "happy thoughts" (New Age crap), or taking some natural product like Green Tea? Before seeing the psychiatrist, I tried 2 months with a naturopath. After spending huge sums of money on a large mix of natural products, I became worse and worse until that fateful night at the ER where I was ripping off my tee-shirt and needed to be temporarily restrained.

Have you had anxiety so bad that your body is always shaking, you constantly have the runs, cannot eat, and lose 50 pounds? I did.

THESE ARE MENTAL ILLNESSES, NOT JUST A BAD CHOICE OF MOOD! THIS IS A PIT THAT YOU CANNOT PULL YOURSELF OUT OF.

Medications and therapy with a psychiatrist literally saved my life.

I am therefore truly DISGUSTED that you have decided to go on a tirade against the profession. Again, my doctor was very anti-DSM-IV, but said it was a "necessary evil" inflicted upon him by the INSURANCE INDUSTRY, not the pharmaceutical industry.

That is enough. If I haven't made my point by now, nothing else I write will matter. If any arm-chair "experts" who have simply read a few articles trashing psychiatry want to disagree with me, I can only say (as Veterans might say to people who managed to always avoid military service), try a little humility and understanding. You are not the master of the universe and an expert on something (just because you read an article....).

By the way, I am waiting for polio to make a come-back, now that taking vaccinations has also successfully been trashed.

Last edited:
If I haven't made my point by now, nothing else I write will matter.
Your story perfectly illustrates the point the article was attempting to make. You obviously missed the point or didn't read the entire piece. As for your curse "on my head," I understand you have issues w/ this issue, but be very careful w/ that style of admonishment, please—especially w/ me.

I cannot believe you read my first hand testimony yet got nothing from it, except that your ego is affronted by stating the fact that spreading this shit can cause someone who needs medical help to not seek it. Jon Rappoport, by the way, is a conspiracy theorist who is a close friend of Jeff Rense, and is on his right wing oriented show all the time ranting about something like the evils of social security. If THIS is your go-to man, then I am seriously reappraising your credibility.

I cannot believe you read my first hand testimony yet got nothing from it, except that your ego is affronted by stating the fact that spreading this shit can cause someone who needs medical help to not seek it. Jon Rappoport, by the way, is a conspiracy theorist who is a close from of Jeff Rense, and is on his right wing oriented show all the time ranting about something like the evils of social security. If THIS is your go-to man, then I am seriously reappraising your credibility.
I heard you man! I'm truly saddened that you had to go through such chemical imbalances and all the attendant psycho/social issues that were in dire need of attention. From what I gather, after your chemical imbalances were addressed, it sounds as if the psychological (not necessarily psychiatric) counseling treatment has helped immeasurably.

I think the point of JR's article was the role of big pharma in psychiatry. I didn't get a complete condemnation of a field of medicine, rather condemnation of how the billion dollar game is played. Lighten up, if you can... I was just trying to start a conversation. If you do some research and look at the obscene levels of over prescribed depression/anti-anxiety/mood stabilizing drugs, you'll agree that there is a problem w/ the role of big money in psychiatry.

Sure, your story is one of many wonderful examples of a properly prescribed chemical correction, but what about the millions of over and miss-prescribed people walking around in a state of waking coma? All those blissful housewives and over worked business professionals trashing their livers w/ handfuls of valium everyday? Valium that their livers can't totally purge that builds up to toxic levels? All for the sake of profits, greased w/ kick backs, free lunches and other big pharma inducements that they throw around to health care operations, doctor's offices, hospitals and psychiatric clinics. We're talking big business, big profits and big greed!

Think what you want, but before you get even more huffy and call me out for raising an troubling issue—look at both sides of this issue before casting aspirations.

I heard you man! I'm truly saddened that you had to go through such chemical imbalances and all the attendant psycho/social issues that were in dire need of attention. From what I gather, after your chemical imbalances were addressed, it sounds as if the psychological (not necessarily psychiatric) counseling treatment has helped immeasurably.

I think the point of JR's article was the role of big pharma in psychiatry. I didn't get a complete condemnation of a field of medicine, rather condemnation of how the billion dollar game is played. Lighten up, if you can... I was just trying to start a conversation. If you do some research and look at the obscene levels of over prescribed depression/anti-anxiety/mood stabilizing drugs, you'll agree that there is a problem w/ the role of big money in psychiatry.

Sure, your story is one of many wonderful examples of a properly prescribed chemical correction, but what about the millions of over and miss-prescribed people walking around in a state of waking coma? All those blissful housewives and over worked business professionals trashing their livers w/ handfuls of valium everyday? Valium that their livers can't totally purge that builds up to toxic levels? All for the sake of profits, greased w/ kick backs, free lunches and other big pharma inducements that they throw around to health care operations, doctor's offices, hospitals and psychiatric clinics. We're talking big business, big profits and big greed!

Think what you want, but before you get even more huffy and call me out for raising an troubling issue—look at both sides of this issue before casting aspirations.
I agree that Family Doctors (GPs) should not be prescribing these medications, especially for teenagers, unless it is an acute emergency. But used effectively by a trained professional, these medications save lives. Ron was doing a total trashing of the profession. If he was a Scientologist, he could not have done a better job. Tom Cruise would be proud of him.

By the way, Ron is one of those guys who makes a living trashing things. His viewpoint is as distorted as a Tea Party member's view of Obama!

Last edited:
Oh man, it's about time someone started to denounce this. They still explain all kinds of "aberrant" conditions, such as a child's belief to have lived before, or the feeling of not being in the "right" body, or being gay or bisexual with "chemical imbalances" and would call them mental disorders. Totally unable to look at the good work being done in the fringes.
No reputable secular psychiatrist in the United States in 2015 would ever say that being gay was due to a chemical imbalance. Christian therapists would, but I do not consider them reputable anymore than taking a child to a Witch Doctor.

No reputable secular psychiatrist in the United States in 2015 would ever say that being gay was due to a chemical imbalance. Christian therapists would, but I do not consider them reputable anymore than taking a child to a Witch Doctor.
The whole psychiatric profession should be re-tooled and better regulated IMO. You can't use the successes to gloss over the insidious role of big pharma. money, greed. The medical profession is unwilling to push back against drug company influence. THAT is a major looming health crisis in this country. It really started going down hill when drug company advertising was allowed to be broadcast. I loved that first "claritan" campaign: psychedelic colored flowers and birds, entrancing music all swirling together w/ the catch tag, "ask your doctor if claritan is right for you!" And NOWHERE IN THE AD did they state what the drug was for!

DO AWAY WITH ALL PUBLIC DRUG ADVERTISING and then clean up the influence of big pharma on our politicians and the medical industry!

The whole psychiatric profession should be re-tooled and better regulated IMO. You can't use the successes to gloss over the insidious role of big pharma. money, greed. The medical profession is unwilling to push back against drug company influence. THAT is a major looming health crisis in this country. It really started going down hill when drug company advertising was allowed to be broadcast. I loved that first "claritan" campaign: psychedelic colored flowers and birds, entrancing music all swirling together w/ the catch tag, "ask your doctor if claritan is right for you!" And NOWHERE IN THE AD did they state what the drug was for!

DO AWAY WITH ALL PUBLIC DRUG ADVERTISING and then clean up the influence of big pharma on our politicians and the medical industry!
Once again I disagree with you on current drug advertisements. Here is why. There must be a law that requires the commercial to give the negative side effects possible under the drug. Without any exception, to me the list of side effects (which often includes death), makes it much more clear to the public that drugs can have a serious cost to your body and life. I was actually in a doctor's waiting room one time with some other people. There was a TV in the corner and one of these ads was on. After listing all the horrors that could befall you from taking the drug, I said "I'd rather just have the disease". Everyone laughed and agreed. So whoever forced drug companies to include the negative side effects in their commercials was a genius (I bet the Republicans fought it tooth and nail).

So whoever forced drug companies to include the negative side effects in their commercials was a genius (I bet the Republicans fought it tooth and nail).
DO AWAY WITH ALL TV/RADIO DRUG ADVERTISING! Also, what's up w/ this over-the-top effort to come up w/ catch abbreviations for classifications of diagnosis? ADHD, CFIDS, PTSD, COPD, ED, MDD. I guess it makes it easier for the potential client to help self-diagnose/ID his/her affliction for potential drug prescription... :eek:

I am able to see both points of view because we dont have the sort of advertising down here Chris describes.

So we dont have the negatives that come with it

On the other hand i have seen first hand that this field can and does help people, so the title describing the field as fake doesnt ring true either

But i wonder about this......

Clear No. 460 JON RAPPOPORT, Interning for Los Angeles, California

Clears List - Scienowiki

If its the same guy, its no wonder hes written this . Scientology has a long history of claiming psychiatry is bunk

And its no wonder, their founder was batshit insane, and untreated nutters are vulnerable to their brainwashing and easy to fleece

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Scientology teach about psychiatry?

While they sometimes project the image that they're mainly intent on stopping psychiatric abuses, the truth is that Scientology is trying to destroy psychiatry altogether.

To newcomers and the general public, Scientology teaches that psychology is worthless and psychiatry is destructive. In their official publication What Is Scientology?, they state that psychology "provides no means of producing actual improvement" and that psychiatry has "no tools at all for dealing with the mentally ill". According to the book, psychiatry stands for "ineffectiveness, lies and inhuman brutality. Its basic assumption revolved around the idea that with enough punishment, anyone could be restored to sanity ..."

However, in more advanced Scientology studies, members read a Scientology bulletin called "Pain and Sex", which states that sex is unnatural for humans and a perversion, and that sex was invented by psychiatrists millions of years ago to trap us. It says that "pain and sex were the INVENTED TOOLS of degradation" created by psychiatrists, and "the stocks-in-trade of psychs are PAIN and SEX." This is a key teaching behind Scientology's vehement opposition to all forms of psychiatry - the bulletin says that psychiatrists "have been on the [time] track a long time [in other words, they've been around for millions of years] and are the sole cause of decline in this universe."

Scientology and Psychiatry | Scientology Lies

@beyondthestargate I had a clinical psychiatrist trying to medicate me for anxiety, resulting in what was probably the worst week in my life. I would wake up bathed in cold sweat with the whole bed shaking. If there were "chemical imbalances", they started by taking the pills he pescribed. I refused taking any more and it later improved by itself.

Maybe I just had the wrong guy. He didn't really listen to my problem, just proceeded to prescribe some nice red pills. But I got the feeling that they are just fighting the symptoms, tinkering around with body chemistry by coming up with chemicals of their own. And refusing to look at anything out of their materialistic paradagim.

As far as I know, homosexuality was only removed from of the "DSM" because of gay activist protests in 1973. Most of these guys, at least the less critical and more materialistic ones, would probably still count it as a mental disorder if it hadn't been for that and I'm pretty sure these same guys still think of it at least as a "chemical imbalance" and an aberrant condition, although they probably won't be too verbal about it.

Last edited:
Now this article does bring into question ethics of big pharma and classifications of medical issues should be done by a quailfied MD and like many other industries which human kind controls we live in a commerce World. For example, peanut alligies seems to be huge today in our society ( some might suggest conspiracy might shout its big pharma?) compared to yester year not much was heard of. However, it could be the impact of other factors such as enviromentle factors. The use of medicines are a risk as walking out your front door and many folks live happy lives while on medications. for elments Therefore , a balance look all aspects of this industry. Also remember who pays for the research paper!!!

PTSD is real which some Vets hide it away inside their minds until years later a trigger opens a closed door which the mind reacts and oddly others dont suffer they suggest and in old days it was called Shell Shock in WW1 and its recorded in Roman Times and Alexsander the Great by Generals and Scholars of that period in history. Also not only do military veterans and families deal with it everyday so does civilian population through car accidents, emergency responder, fire brigade, police officers, etc.

Last edited:
@beyondthestargate I had a clinical psychiatrist trying to medicate me for anxiety, resulting in what was probably the worst week in my life. I would wake up bathed in cold sweat with the whole bed shaking. If there were "chemical imbalances", they started by taking the pills he pescribed. I refused taking any more and it later improved by itself.

Maybe I just had the wrong guy. He didn't really listen to my problem, just proceeded to prescribe some nice red pills. But I got the feeling that they are just fighting the symptoms, tinkering around with body chemistry by coming up with chemicals of their own. And refusing to look at anything out of their materialistic paradagim.

As far as I know, homosexuality was only taken out of the "DSM" because of gay activist demonstrations in 1973. Most of these guys, at least the less critical and more materialistic ones, would probably still count it as a mental disorder if it hadn't been for that and I'm pretty sure these same guys still think of it at least as a "chemical imbalance" and an aberrant condition, although they probably won't be too verbal about it.
I am not here to defend every psychiatrist in the world. I will say that many psychotropic drugs used for depression and anxiety have an initial "rough" period of from 1 to 3 weeks. I cannot scientifically state what goes on, and neither can you. But this adjustment period is needed. Often, the impact of anti-depressants take a full 8 weeks before being felt.

So gays are no longer considered "sick" because of that all powerful right wing endorsed GAY AGENDA! Wow! Amazing. Thanks for letting me know that the only reason homosexuality is no longer considered a mental disease is because a group of gay people demonstrated. I had no idea how powerful this GAY AGENDA was! We should put them to work on destroying the oligarchy in the USA. We should also sign them up to run the Disclosure Movement. I also suggest we get them to ensure we have high speed bullet trains in the USA (regardless of what the Koch Brothers want) and get infrastructure improvements. With the incredible power of the GAY AGENDA, maybe we could also establish world peace.

Yeah. Maybe you could read posts before you comment? A bunch of psychologists removing homosexuality from their "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" doesn't mean that it's been deleted from the "general populace's catalogue of dumb-ass biases". Where did I say that? This discussion is indeed pointless, as you have already remarked, thanks to participants arguing from their only true and infallable worldview. Welcome to my Ignore list.

Last edited:
Back