• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Conversation is a Private Message

Free episodes:

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Forums have a way for members to have a private conversation with one another. On most, they are called "Private Messages." On the XenForo system, which we use, it's a Conversation. To see if you have a new message, look for the notice in the Inbox in the navigation bar, below the logo and top banner ad. You'll see an indicator of the number of unread messages (this option can be turned off in your member settings).

If you don't see the Inbox, maybe you have a smaller screen. Don't know if we can do anything 'bout that.

Really? How is it someone copy/pasted a "private" conversation between me and another member and emailed it to me from your email address? Was it a Trickster? :rolleyes:

Did they use this forum mod? Digital Point Search

OK, here's the way it works: Any participant can receive email notices of conversations in which they are included. It's a member control panel option. Someone who receives those notices is obviously free to send them to someone else. But nobody else in the forum, not even the administrators, is able to access them directly to my knowledge. I am not aware of the forum mod you mention.

I certainly have never paid much attention to the innate security of a conversation or private message, except to assume it would take an extraordinary amount of time to go through them if one wanted to parse the database. Indeed, unless you use a PGP app, even email is technically accessible to those who make the effort. Obviously telephones aren't secure either anymore. Maybe we should all learn mental telepathy. :)

Back