• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What Will Humans Look Like In 100,000 Years?

I don't know. I'm not very optimistic. I can't possibly look 100,000 years in the future, with any confidence. But, I know where evolution is headed for the next few generations. Forget 1984, the scariest dystopia of them all is a satire "Idiocracy." Mike Judge is a prophet!

part I intro

part II intro

Interesting theory. With the way American waistlines have expanded over the past few decades, I speculate that people will weigh an average of 250lbs.

No wonder those pictures didn't show anything below the neck line!

In 100K years humans will undoubtedly have been replaced by robots tens-of-thousands of years earlier.

Unfortunately I believe that Mr. O'Brien is correct. The machines will win in the end. The cat and mouse game is already afoot.

But, passing the Turing test doesn't mean a whole lot.

Turing test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Turing test is flawed. It can easily be bypassed with word games (semantics) and misdirection.

The Trouble with the Turing Test - The New Atlantis

Chinese Room vs. Turing

My two sons and myself have noticed that you can knock chatbots right down with the "Voight-Kampff" test, from Phillip Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

Voight-Kampff Empathy Test by Philip K. Dick from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Here is Hollywood's adaptation of the novel, "Bladerunner."

Android Fails Voight-Kampff

You can experiment on chat-bots yourself. Try the two tests and notice how clear it becomes you are dealing with a bot when using the Voight-Kampff. Obviously these are online bots and are no comparison to the offline super computer bots like Watson.

Cleverbot.com - a clever bot - speak to an AI with some Actual Intelligence?

List Of Chat Bots - Artificial Intelligence

Last edited:
Interesting - as one of the comments states: "I wonder if a heavily autistic person would pass the Voight-Kampff test."

The lack of emotional IQ - as with an autistic person, someone 'on the spectrum' - who might find their way onto a chat site, would have interesting effects. How might their effects differ from a bot?

Extremely good point Tyger. If you hang around the tech community you will quickly notice that the programmers and the super techies are very very often people with Aspergers. Computers are being taught by people with Aspergers. It's a running joke that they are "Aspy's" Watson is especially scary because he is programed to talk to other humans.

IMO opinion Turing was an Aspy as well.

I have a PhD which looked at human evolution. We respond to our environment so it very much is a feature of that. Technology and global travel has largely removed the capacity for sympatric speciation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremely good point Tyger. If you hang around the tech community you will quickly notice that the programmers and the super techies are very very often people with Aspergers. Computers are being taught by people with Aspergers. It's a running joke that they are "Aspy's" Watson is especially scary because he is programed to talk to other humans.

IMO opinion Turing was an Aspy as well.

Reminds me of several decades ago when I was living in Palo Alto CA. It was in the 1980's and I knew people in the then computer industry who would not let their children near a computer because, as one said - I can never recall quite exactly what he said but it was along the lines of: "I don't want [blank]'s mind inside my child" or something like that. When asked to clarify there was mention that the way the computers cum software work are designed to work pretty much the way one (particular) man's brain works. At the time I found it notable that most of who I knew working in the 'deep recesses' of computer R&D did not like the implications of children using the computer. The idea seemed to distress them. Purely anecdotal - and imperfectly recalled. Just an impression.

Yeah i remember when it was all Dos, i should of gotten into puters then, i was late in, bout 2000 i got my first setup running w95 then quickly followed by w98, because the irst comp was so slow, think it was about 32mb ram or something tiny like that, does sound about right

Derek,

"sympatric speciation
"

I had to look that up. Let me get this right? Forgive my ignorance of the topic. So, an example of this may be the "Mule Deer" and the "Whitetail Deer" in North America? You can find some areas where both are found, and some places where only one can be found?

http://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Odocoileus_variation_&_distribution.gif

How has "Technology and global travel has largely removed the capacity for sympatric speciation?"

Second, if there is a race of interstellar seeders, such as popular media suggest (Star Trek, Prometheus, 2001), are we not perhaps an example of Allopatric speciation?

I'm just trying to understand the terms. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Have neurobiologists made headway in sorting out differences in brain function that are purely cognitive from those that confer affect, or emotional feeling? The human brain is obviously capable of both. One would intuitively think affect to be somehow more intimately connected with the physiological well being of the organism in its totality. In which case, BTW, the kinds of emotions we as humans experience may not be substrate independent.

But-- this is all so much speculation.

Have neurobiologists made headway in sorting out differences in brain function that are purely cognitive from those that confer affect, or emotional feeling? The human brain is obviously capable of both. One would intuitively think affect to be somehow more intimately connected with the physiological well being of the organism in its totality. In which case, BTW, the kinds of emotions we as humans experience may not be substrate independent.

But-- this is all so much speculation.

Boomerang, you might find these two papers by Jaak Panksepp to be pertinent to your questions:

http://www.mdpi.com/2076-3425/2/2/147/pdf

Frontiers | The Emergence of Primary Anoetic Consciousness in Episodic Memory | Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience

By 2050, Human Evolution May Regularly Reach 100-Plus Life Spans With Delayed Childbirth

man-future.jpg

Back