• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — November 20, 2016

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
November 20, 2016
www.theparacast.com

MUFON Executive Director Jan Harzan Featured on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! We’ve just begun to add podcasts and videos from Paul Kimball’s “Other Side of Truth.” Check out our new lower rates, starting at just $4.99 per month, plus our “Lifetime” membership and special free eBook offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: Gene and guest co-host Goggs Mackay welcome Jan Harzan, Executive Director for MUFON, the Mutual UFO Network. Harzan has been interested in UFO for years, the result of a significant sighting when he was a child. He is a retired IBM executive, and previously headed the Orange County, CA MUFON chapter for 18 years as the State Section Director. During this wide-ranging discussion, he'll provide an overview of the state of UFO research, possible solutions to the mystery that go beyond spaceships from other worlds, the possibilities for disclosure, what a President might or might not know about UFOs, and how secrecy can be kept for decades. (Note: The interview continues on this week's episode of After The Paracast.)

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

MUFON: Recent UFO Sightings | Daily Alien News & Encounters

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on November 20: Featuring Gene, Chris, Goggs and returning guest Jan Harzan, Executive Director of MUFON. Just returned from Thailand, Chris briefly recounts a sighting he had while taking people on a UFO sighting tour in Sedona, AZ, about crafts that split into two and merged into one. Jan details the sighting first mentioned on the regular episode of The Paracast, one reported by a formers Air Force military policeman that occurred in Amarillo, Texas in 1957. Chris delivers a San Luis Valley Camera Project update, as his team gets closer to setting up the network. The discussion moves on to a 2013 sighting of a dumbbell shaped object in Canada, MUFON Case 74282, where possible electromagnetic interface emitted by the UFO distorted a digital picture of it. Abductions and abduction support groups are also discussed.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

Hidden UFO Experiences
By Gene Steinberg

When veteran Ufologist Stanton T. Friedman appears before an audience, he says, he’ll usually ask them to raise their hands if they’ve ever seen a UFO. Quite a number will, but when he asks if they’ve actually reported the experience, most of those hands will go down.

Consider Steven Spielberg’s blockbuster sci-fi film, “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” released in 1977. Early on, there’s a tense scene in an air traffic controller’s tower, where the pilot of an airplane is asked, over the radios whether he wants to report the UFO he just witnessed. He says no.

That scene was likely close to the truth. A pilot, concerned with how his superiors will react, might fear that his ongoing employment or chances for promotion could be hurt if he dared admit to seeing a UFO.

Now I don’t think we have quite that stigma nowadays, though I expect scientists, pilots, law enforcement people and others might still be reluctant to file such a report. I rather suspect the general public may not have such qualms, because UFOs have become a matter of entertainment. Telling your friends and family that you’ve seen one, or a ghost for that matter, could make you the life of the party if you’re a good story teller.

It’s not that they’d necessarily take you seriously — or maybe they’d have their own paranormal encounters to share.

Where things get dicey is when the encounter becomes more intense. So what do you say if you've had an episode of missing time? So MUFON Executive Director Jan Harzan, during an interview on the After The Paracast podcast, recounts the time he gave an informal presentation on UFOs before a group of 30 scientists and engineers who were working on possible faster-than-light travel.

After he finished, one of those in attendance came up to him to speak about a possible episode of missing time in his childhood. He told Jan that had gone into the bathroom to brush his teeth, obviously something that would take a few minutes to do. But when he left the bathroom, he assumed moments later, his dad asked him why he took so long. It seemed he evidently remained in that bathroom for two hours.

So what really happened during that time? Did the child just absent-mindedly waste time in there? Maybe he brought a comic book or two with him, started reading and lost track of time. Is that possible? Or is the story exactly as stated. He brushed his teeth and, in a flash, it was two hours later?

Now he evidently didn’t consider the connection to a possible UFO encounter until he heard Jan’s presentation, in which he mentioned his own missing time experience, something he had talked about during his first appearance on The Paracast on September 15, 2013.

Now, as you know, missing time is considered a telltale symptom of a possible UFO abduction. But with his parents at home, what were they doing when this child was taken away? Or did ET use some sort of mind control to make them unaware of what was happening? Or was that abduction experience — if it was an abduction experience — solely in the child’s mind? Even then, was there still some sort of external reality involved?

Obviously, there will be no answers, unless that individual decides to report the experience and agree to be subjected to hypnotic regression or some other means to recover possible lost memories. Even then, would the information be reliable, or somehow colored to reflect the bias of the hypnotist?

This was a random encounter, between Jan and the scientist, so it’s quite likely that there will never be a follow-up. It’ll just be one of those things, someone’s curious experience that may have no discernible lasting impact.

Just how many people are out there who have had one or more paranormal experiences, but don’t bother to tell anyone? Or maybe they only remember a few scattered details that wouldn’t normally give a clue that something really weird happened.

I remember the nightmares I had as a child, while living in a two bedroom tenement on Newport Street in Brooklyn, NY. My brother and I shared a bedroom until he left home. He was 11 years older.

I was happy to have that bedroom all to myself, and I was 10 or 11 when the dreams began. I’d see some large dark thing in my mind’s eye coming closer and closer until I woke up in a cold sweat. I don’t even recall saying anything about it to my parents, largely because I didn’t believe they’d understand. After a period of time, maybe a few months, those frightening dreams just stopped.

I’ve only thought it it in passing since then. But when I do, I still feel my neck hairs tensing for a few moments, and I stare furtively about me before I take a deep breath and get on with my business.

Somewhere around that time — and I did report this in Caveat Emptor, the magazine my first wife, Geneva, and I published for several years — I began to smell something awful. It was a constant presence, an odor that I later interpreted as that of burnt sulphur.

Now as those of you who listened to Joshua Cutchin’s recent appearance on The Paracast will recall, sensing such odors may be the prelude to some sort of paranormal event. This curious symptom has also been mentioned by John Keel and others over the years.

Indeed, Goggs Mackay, our forum moderator and occasional guest co-host, brought up that very question to Jan Harzan during this week’s taping.

Jan’s reaction, that it’s not a question that MUFON investigators will routinely ask, is telling, because mainstream researchers evidently do not consider such oddities in putting together the details of a sighting. One key reason may be that they are largely wedded to the belief that the saucers are spaceships, but the question of odors shouldn’t be ignored. Unless it were operating at a different level of reality, it does seem possible that a spaceship would emit one or more odors as a side effect of its propulsion system or presence in our atmosphere. What about the so-called UFO entities seen in connection with such cases? Or do they use their own form of deodorant so as not to offend Earthlings?

Or maybe they are bred to have no odor. So consider Teddy Bear, our overgrown Bichon Frise, a breed that tends not to present the typical odor of a dog. Sometimes when he’s wet, I’ll smell something until he dries. Otherwise, I seldom know he’s around unless I turn my head and find him laying near me (as he is as I write this), or staring up at me with his brown eyes expecting something. Probably dinner.

But it’s hard enough to persuade someone to report a strange encounter. Gathering such seemingly irrelevant details in a report, such as the presence of a strange odor, rarely occurs — unless one asks. It doesn’t seem to be the sort of factoid a witness would normally volunteer.

And in case you’re wondering whether those dreams, and that offensive odor, signify that I had some extraordinary encounters as a child, the answer is that I just don’t know. For obvious reasons, I’ve not been inclined to want to find out.

Copyright 1999-2016 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back