• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter -- March 31, 2012

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
March 31, 2012

An Amazing UFO Film and the Paul Bennewitz Case Explored on The Paracast

Special Announcement: The Paracast is heard Sundays from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Please Consider a Donation to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap if you can to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch. No contribution is too small (or too large :). We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Brand New Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

Sunday, April 1, 2012: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present author and longtime UFO investigator Chris Lambright, author of "X Descending," and special guest Ray Stanford to discuss how how a private study of UFO films may have influenced amazing new developments in aerospace propulsion. Our guests will also discuss the mysterious Paul Bennewitz case and how he succumbed to possible government disinformation and dirty tricks.

Christopher O'Brien's Site: Home - Our Strange Planet

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

The “Shadow Figures” of the UFO Field
By Gene Steinberg

It has long been speculated that U.S. government agents have infiltrated the UFO field, and have caused all sorts of mischief. From the very earliest days of the modern era, we’ve heard reports of all sorts of peculiar government behavior.

In 1953, UFO researcher Albert K. Bender shut down his flying saucer club, claiming that three men wearing black suits, supposedly government operatives, visited him and told him to shut up because he knew too much about UFO reality. Thus began the legend of the MIB, although such alleged shenanigans occurred even earlier.

Take the 1947 Maury Island UFO case. As described in the book UFO pioneer Kenneth Arnold wrote with Ray Palmer, “The Coming of the Saucers,” when he traveled to Tacoma, WA to investigate the sighting, his hotel room was tapped, and his overheard conversations were being relayed to members of the press.

Even stranger: When Arnold first arrived in Tacoma, he discovered that pretty much all the hotel rooms in that city were occupied. Despite that uncomfortable fact, a room had already been reserved in his name at the last hotel he called. Were these the acts of government spies, or individuals trying to play a prank on Arnold?

With Bender, there is good reason to believe his alleged MIB encounters was due to other causes, perhaps more personal in nature. Some years later, Bender even wrote a book, “Flying Saucers and the Three Men,” heavily edited by legendary UFO author Gray Barker, in which he claimed his visitors were extraterrestrial.

As chronicled in books and magazine articles by John Keel and others, supposed MIB have been infiltrating UFO research for a number of years. Pranksters? Government operatives? ET? Or maybe some people just became a little too paranoid when people began to contact them in the wake of a UFO or other offbeat encounter.

More recently, a key figure in the investigation of the purported UFO crash in Roswell, NM, William Moore, confessed to being a willing participant in alleged government disinformation. Some years earlier, he wrote “The Roswell Incident” with Charles Berlitz, a world traveler who had also written hot-selling books about the Bermuda Triangle and other subjects. Nuclear physicist and UFO lecturer Stanton T. Friedman also heavily contributed to the Roswell book, but didn’t earn a byline.

In passing, I knew Berlitz fairly well in those days, and offered him lots of guidance on two of his books in exchange of a couple of credits and free lunches.

Moore was also instrumental in promoting the infamous MJ-12 documents, which supposedly describe a small group of scientists and military leaders formed to investigate Roswell and other UFO incidents.

Everything fell apart for Moore when he appeared at a Las Vegas MUFON conference 1989, and confessed his willing participation in disinformation activities involving such people as Paul Bennewitz, a businessperson who found himself immersed in an “X-Files” sort of odyssey after giving a report about his UFO encounter, which included films and photographs, to the Kirtland Air Force Base.

Moore claimed that he had worked with such curious fringe UFO figures as Richard Doty, a former Air Force Sergeant and possible government agent, in making Bennewitz believe that he had proof that ETs were present on Earth, and of the existence of a cover-up. In those days, Doty was allegedly working with a team of intelligence agents who gave themselves bird-like nicknames and called their little group, “The Aviary.” Part of Moore’s activities may have included the MJ-12 episode, although Stanton Friedman and others believe they can prove that at least some of those documents are genuine.

Obviously, Moore’s credibility went out the window with that confession. Doty and other alleged “Aviary” members are still around, but it’s hard to say whether any of them can be believed. One would think that, if their activities were officially sanctioned, they wouldn’t be so free and easy to reveal the dirty details. Indeed, they’d be directed to say nothing in the interests of national security; that is, assuming these activities really happened, and that they didn’t just go rogue.

These days, reports of such unsavory activities are almost non-existent. I suppose it’s possible that Moore, Doty and the rest of that crowd are little more than glory seekers who told these tall tales in the quest for fame and fortune. If that was their true motive, they failed.

I dare say few people remember these characters nowadays. Sure, someone who has read the original Berlitz/Moore/Friedman book might be curious about Moore’s fate, but little more. Moore is still around, though he hasn’t participated in the UFO field since feeding information to author Greg Bishop for his 2005 book, “Project Beta: The Story of Paul Bennewitz, National Security, and the Creation of a Modern UFO Myth.” Berlitz died in 2003. Stanton Freidman is still an active and respected member of the UFO community.

The Bennewitz affair is also covered extensively in a new book by UFO investigator Chris Lambright, “X Descending,” which is featured on this weekend’s episode of The Paracast.

The Paracast Copyright 1999-2012 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Nice article, and good introduction for the next show.
I suppose it’s possible that Moore, Doty and the rest of that crowd are little more than glory seekers who told these tall tales in the quest for fame and fortune. If that was their true motive, they failed.
That's exactly my opinion on them, but it did work for a while. Moore was a top-billed speaker at UFO lectures and featured on the notourious Cover-up Live television special, but I don't know if we can trace any of that to the Bennewitz episode.

Moore didn't receive fame from infamy for very long. It's not the same as the convicted felon who leverages a crime and makes a bundle, such as Jack Abramoff appears to be doing, and let's not forget G. Gordon Liddy.

Always enjoy the newsletter. Was wondering if at some point you and Chris could post a "must read" list of maybe the top 10 books on ufos you would recommend to listeners. Since I started listening, I've read Vallee's books, Leslie Keane's, Bernard Haisch (not really on the subject, but loved his interview). Have also read Charles Fort (and actually wrote a review of the recent biography for a small press newsletter I sometimes contribute to). Am currently reading Frank Edwards. Also was wondering if you and/or Chris knew of a site where someone has put together a "family tree" of major figures in ufology (creditable ones) as keeping track of all the people involved over what is now close to a 60 years history (in modern times) is not easy esp for novices like myself. Many thanks.

Thanks for listening.

You actually have a pretty good start. I would also suggest you read John Keel, Jerome Clark, Donald Keyhoe, Curt Sutherly and, in fact, Chris O'Brien. Jim Moseley's "Shockingly Close to the Truth" is also a great read.

I hesitate to consider a personal reading list, because there's always something I might have left out. But I think most of you know my leanings on the subject, and can consider the appropriate literature. Maybe we should be working out a survey of some sort that would offer more options than a simple poll. Hmmm... I know we've already had a few reading lists posted in the forums.

Thanks for the recommendations. To get hold of some of these older books I've joined our local library. First time I've had a library card in many years. Made me feel like a little kid again.

Back