• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter -- January 28, 2012

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
January 28, 2012

A Near-Abduction Case Explored on The Paracast

Special Announcement: The Paracast is heard Sundays from 6:00 PM until 9:00 PM (Central Time) on the GCN radio network.

Please Consider a Donation to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap if you can to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch. No contribution is too small (or too large :). We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Brand New Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

Sunday, January 29, 2012: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present an exclusive interview with longtime California MUFON investigators Ruben Uriarte and Noe Torres, who will be discussing their latest book, "Aliens in the Forest: The Cisco Grove UFO Encounter." This is an amazing story about a near-abduction episode that will include actual audio clips of eyewitness interviews.

Christopher O'Brien's Site: Home - Our Strange Planet

Rubin and Noe's Site: Roswell Books Home Page

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

A Brief Trip to the Past
By Gene Steinberg

Back in the 1970s, I had two jobs, so to speak. While working by day at a radio station in the Philadelphia suburbs as news director, I also moonlighted as the publisher of a UFO-oriented magazine. My efforts culminated in sponsoring a UFO convention, the 1975 National UFO Conference, held in Valley Forge, PA.

In retrospect, the conference was, at best, a middling success. We just didn’t have enough money to stage a full promotional effort, or to rent an auditorium in Philadelphia, where we might have attracted a much larger audience. But it was fun, and I was happy to be able to hang out with my close friends in the UFO field for several days. A few even reported seeing a possible UFO on evening, but I was otherwise occupied managing convention business details at the time. My lot in life, I suppose, because I am always elsewhere when UFOs are around.

But I did resolve never to sponsor a UFO and/or paranormal convention ever again, and I have kept that promise.

One of my closest friends in those days was Curt Sutherly, who worked for a time as a newspaper reporter and also wrote a number of articles on subjects of interest to listeners of The Paracast. Among his published works is a fascinating book, “UFO Mysteries: A Reporter Seeks the Truth.”

Well, back in October 1975, Curt and I journeyed together to Fort Smith, Arkansas to attend a UFO conference. In passing, I long believed that this trip pretty much did in my car, a Mazda RX-2. Shortly after our arrival, I noticed that the car began to spew forth a smoky exhaust for several minutes after the engine started; symptoms, I was told, that the car’s engine, the famous Wankel rotary, was in need of an overhaul. But the vehicle survived without further maintenance until the following spring, when I just arrived at the dealer to pick up a new car when the transmission failed.

On the way to Fort Smith, Curt and I stopped over in rural Plumerville (population 854 as of 2,000) to visit UFO researcher Lucius Farish. Curt and I were good friends of Lou, who managed a UFO news clipping service, a major source of leads to sightings at a time when print was everything, and broadcast news still played second fiddle.

During the visit, Curt gave Lou a present, a big “log” of the famous Lebanon Bologna, from Lebanon Country, PA. In retrospect, Lou made short work in consuming that hefty quantity of processed meat, or at least that’s what he told Curt in a letter a few weeks later.

Unlike my humble efforts, this convention was quite successful, and attracted many of the greats and near-greats of the UFO field together in a single location, including such luminaries as Major Donald E. Keyhoe, Stanton Friedman and even Coral Lorenzen of APRO.

Now I never actually got along very well with Lorenzen, a crusty woman who took a dislike to me when I was still a teen and published an article about the Socorro, New Mexico case that, she felt, failed to give her proper credit for her organization’s research on the case.

On the other hand, I snagged interviews with Keyhoe and other personalities, some of which were later published in newsstand magazines. I wish I still had copies of those publications; even more so because the magazine that printed the Keyhoe interview folded before they could send me a check for my efforts.

That takes us back to Lou Farish.

Over the years, we had come to regard Lou as the “rock of Ufology,” because of his stalwart efforts in the field, which included those essential clippings and his involvement in the Ozark UFO Conference.

Both Curt and I eventually lost touch with Lou. But last year we learned the sad news that he had contracted cancer, and was living his last days in a hospice. The end came a few months later, according to a letter sent to Lou’s friends by Jerry Blackburn on Thursday, January 26: “I'm sorry to have to tell you that Lou died of cancer this afternoon at 4:55 PM CST in Morrilton, Arkansas at the River Chase Rehabilitation and Care Center where he had been under hospice care since early September. He died peacefully, was not in pain, and was surrounded by a small group of friends.…”

Lou will always be remembered for his friendship and his rock steady commitment to discovering the truth about UFOs. But there’s even more to his legacy that means his influence will be felt for years to come. According to Blackburn, “Since Lou did not have a wife, children or siblings, he left his estate, including 80 acres of land, to a trust to be used to encourage UFO research and education through awards, fellowships and mini-grants over the next several years.”
#168;Imagine if one of those research grants actually helped us make real progress towards a solution to the UFO enigma, and all because of the dedication of Lou Farish.

(Special thanks to Curt Sutherly for filling in some of the blanks in my memories of those days.)

The Paracast Copyright 1999-2012 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back