• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — April 2, 2017

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
April 2, 2017
www.theparacast.com

Ray Stanford Exposes Old-Time Flying Saucer Contactees on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! We’ve just begun to add podcasts and videos from Paul Kimball’s “Other Side of Truth.” Check out our new lower rates, starting at just $1.49 per week, plus our “Lifetime” membership and special free eBook offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: In the early days of the UFO field, such characters as George Adamski, Daniel W. Fry, Truman Bethurum, George Van Tassel and others gained some measure of fame — or infamy — when they claimed to be in regular contact with beings from other planets. UFO researcher and amateur paleontologist Ray Stanford, and his twin brother Rex, were there to observe these people in action; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ray will tell you how Adamski and Fry faked their UFO photos and movies to help spread their wacky tales of ET contact. You’ll learn, also, about a possible case of genuine contact with someone from “out there.” As he tells us, there’s “a lot to share.”

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on April 2: After recording an episode of The Paracast, Ray Stanford told Gene and Chris that he completely forgot to recount a few more wacky tales about some of those flying saucer contactees, such as Adamski’s encounters with Hollywood film technician Norman S. Kossuth, who gave the contactee a 16mm camera with which to take movies of alleged spaceships, and about one movie that may depict a genuine UFO. Ray also recalls the story of contactee Lee Crandall, who claimed to be in touch with an entity known as Brother Boco, someone who allegedly flew through space in a Venusian craft made of “magnetized dove feathers.” And did ET actually repair Adamski’s indoor plumbing?

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

About Those “Legendary” Flying Saucer Contactees
By Gene Steinberg

The granddaddy of flying saucer contactees is probably George Adamski. He burst into fame in 1953 as author of “Flying Saucer Have Landed,” where he recounted an alleged meeting the previous year with a handsome spaceman in the California desert. He accompanied the tale with totally absurd photos of the space craft in which the visitor traveled.

It didn’t take long for the story to be dissembled in the UFO field. The supposed eyewitnesses to the encounter actually didn’t see what actually went down, and had to take Adamski’s word that it really happened. The photos? Barely up to the chintzy special effects you’d see in the low-budget sci-fi “B” films of the day.

In the famous Adamski exposé issue of Jim Moseley’s Saucer News, one of Adamski’s followers quoted him as saying that you sometimes had to enter through the back door to present the truth. In short, it was about the message not the medium.

While Adamski had a group of loyal followers, I was surprised to learn a while back that there’s still an active web site devoted to him and his work. I was even offered the opportunity to interview the proprietor of that site, someone who believed Adamski was the “real deal.”

To me that’s long ago and far away.

Well, after Adamski became famous — or infamous — other contact tales emerged from various and sundry previously unknown individuals. Some were clearly influenced by Adamski. One of those characters, a sign painter by the name of Howard Menger, was sometimes referred to as the “Jersey Adamski,” because of the similarities in the appearance of the beings he met.

Menger had his own set of photos, but the ones I saw depicted apparent paintings of flying saucers rather than actual images of some craft. One of them, widely published, closely resembled Klaatu’s spacecraft during the final scene of the classic 1951 sci-fi film, “The Day the Earth Stood Still.”

I didn’t pay much attention to Menger until the days when I was working for Moseley at Saucer News in the mid-1960s. One day Jim had a call from Menger suggesting they have lunch.

I thought it was mighty peculiar at the time, since Jim was one of Menger’s most vociferous critics and, in fact, had made it quite clear he didn’t believe any of those contact claimants.

Curious indeed!

Well, Jim and I met Menger one afternoon at a diner across the street from the magazine’s tiny offices in midtown Manhattan.

Menger seemed friendly enough and I listened quietly as he explained to Jim that he had come to disbelieve those contacts, that he had met up with extraterrestrials. Instead, he had a new story to tell, that he had become a pawn in an alleged test by the U.S. Army to gauge the possible impact of alien contact.

This was interesting enough, maybe even slightly credible. But things really became strange when he repeated his new claim on a local TV show hosted by legendary talk show host, Long John Nebel.

Now while Long John was a great radio performer, and he did all right in his rare public appearances, he couldn’t quite translate his popularity to television. Gifted at long-form radio, the time constraints of commercial TV just didn’t suit him.

Long John invited Menger on the TV show, no doubt expecting to hear the same wacky tales of meeting attractive visitors from Saturn and other planets. Instead, Menger proceeded to recant his claims in the same way he dissembled them before me and Jim.

Long John did not appreciate Menger deviating from his usual spiel, and, from what I recall of the episode, barely suppressed his anger with near-silence and a stern demeanor. You can be assured that Menger joined the ranks of those who were persona non grata to the sometimes temperamental talk show host.

Menger eventually moved to Florida, and began to build flying saucer models with the promise that he might actually perfect one that could fly. He sent a few non-working samples to Jim over the years, but the project — if you can forgive the pun — never took off.

Not long thereafter, I left Saucer News, moved south and began to seek my fortune as a radio broadcaster.

It would be real easy to dismiss the claims of people like Adamski and Menger and assume they were just making things up. Certainly these two, and other saucer contactees, went overboard in creating transparently fake flying saucer photos that fooled very few. They spoke of meeting human-like entities that allegedly came from such planets as Venus, Mars and Saturn.

While the Saturday morning sci-fi shows of the 1950s — which catered largely to children — often depicted aliens from those planets, real science soon got in the way. Actual probes of Venus, for example, revealed a genuine hot house, with temperatures exceeding 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Reports of possible canals on Mars were shown to be wrong. While I suppose it’s possible Mars may have been inhabited at one time in the distant past, perhaps millions of years ago, today we recognize it as a barren world with a thin atmosphere.

That there are signs of water on Mars and the Moon doesn’t mean that humans can exist there without the need for spacesuits or a carefully controlled and sealed environment. But the contactees could only think in terms of the sci-fi images of the day in devising their stories. The march of knowledge quickly passed them by.

Now I suppose it’s possible some of these people had one or more genuine encounters with the unknown. Only they couched their stories in the language of pop culture, perhaps to make them more palatable to their intended audiences. So at a time when flying saucers were popular, might as well speak of extraterrestrials who could easily pass for human if they walked among us.

Or maybe they made up all those stories out of whole cloth just to seem important and, perhaps, to gain a measure of fame and fortune.

Among this strange group were eccentric characters who sometimes went overboard in the effort to make their stories seem credible. Twins Ray and Rex Stanford, still in their teens in those days, had the chance to meet many of the better-known contactees and discovered the secrets of their photo and movie fakery.

Ray’s first-hand accounts of those meetings are endlessly entertaining, which is why I invited him to appear on the April 2, 2017 episode of The Paracast and our premium podcast, After The Paracast. But is it at all possible that one or more of those saucer contactees really met ETs after all? You may be surprised at the answers to that question when you listen to these shows.

Copyright 1999-2017 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

This episode was more fun than ball pit of monkeys. I laughed out loud when you said “We’re going to have more of this, including the priceless imitation of George Adamski from Ray Stanford...”

Does anyone have a timeline of the first appearances of the contactees? It seems that Adamski, former bootlegger and huckster extraordinaire, may have been the first to appear in print, and then maybe Daniel Fry the following year in 1954? It would be interesting to see the order in which they appeared, to see if we can gauge who may have influenced whom, and when the contactee fad peaked.

Because I’ve been wondering about the confluence of factors that precipitated this peculiar cultural phenomenon. It certainly appears that there was a rather sudden wave of UFO sightings in late forties and fifties, which definitely contributed to the social climate. But I also think that the startling and unsettling use of nuclear bombs against Japan had a powerful psychological impact that was partly sheer terror, and partly a deep sense of awe at the power of science and technology. And the devastating age of the German V2 rockets, which was rapidly followed by the early US rocketry program and talk of launching man-made satellites and even astronauts into space, certainly played a part in spurring dreams of space travel and possible visitation from other worlds.

It’s kind of strange that sightings have continued, and UFO “flaps” have re-occurred since that era, and yet the only kinds of contact stories we hear about now are the abduction cases, which have such a diametrically distinct quality characterized by fear and helplessness, medical experimentation, telepathic mind control and memory wipes, and unwelcome covert intrusions into the bedroom and soforth.

There’s still a campy charm to the outrageous contactee stories of the fifties with their benevolent space men and enchanting women, and it’s hard not to have fun hearing about them, even though all or nearly all of them are rooted in fraud, it seems.

I still find that the story of Daniel Fry stands apart in a striking manner from the side-show circus sensibility of the other contactees and their crazy tales that frequently make the painfully bad sci-fi flicks of that era, like Plan 9 from Outer Space, look like Oscar material.

Unlike other contactees who made wild claims involving sexy Venusians and lavish banquets on the Moon, Daniel Fry’s sole encounter with an extraterrestrial craft was devoid of a personal encounter with an alien being – he only witnessed an empty craft that landed in the desert outside of White Sands Missile Proving Ground where he was actually employed as a rocket instrumentation technician at the time. And this alone wouldn’t have been very notable, if he hadn’t described his audio conversation with the alien operator of the craft that he claimed he encountered that night, and the solo 32-minute round-trip voyage to the skies over New York City. And he never offered any photographs or evidence of this encounter – he told his story, consistently and unembellished for over a decade, before he seemed to cave to the cultural pressure of the other contactees on the scene and fabricated a few photographs and a 16mm film reel of his own.

But the most striking aspect of his story is the science within his books, which we’ve discussed at some length here at the Paracast Forums. Whereas the other contactees, unanimously as far as I know, provided implausible planetary origins for their “visitors” from within our own solar system – Venus, Mars, even Saturn, Daniel Fry’s contact claimed to be from a race without a planet, freely traversing the stars beyond our solar system in large self-sufficient craft that provided for all of their needs, requiring only occasional stops to gather resources from planets. Fry’s amicable contact told him, via some kind of electronic audio communication equipment that facilitated their conversation with his contact’s position in orbit 900 miles above the Earth, about the as-yet-unrealized possibilities within Einstein’s general theory of relativity, that would one day provide mankind with the same gravitational propulsion capabilities that his own alien people employed. And he told Daniel Fry about a unified field theory that would open the door to human interstellar spacefight, and described the basic outline of the theory, which he described as “the curvature of natural law.” You can imagine my surprise when I realized, years after reading Daniel Fry’s books on these subjects, that the Lorentz transformation at the heart of Einstein’s special theory of relativity is nothing more than the equation of a circle, which Fry’s alien contact had explicitly associated with their extraterrestrial unified field theory of physics. And then the stunning realization in 1998 that Daniel Fry’s alien contact had precisely described the “dark energy” effect to him 42 years earlier, which we discussed here recently.

Unfortunately Ray Stanford seemed unfamiliar with these absolutely striking features of Daniel Fry’s books about science (Fry published two books about physics and cosmology that don’t even mention his contact experience, or aliens and so forth – which is a remarkable fact in and of itself). But it is easy to see how anyone would dismiss Fry’s entire story, after he made a clumsy and failed attempt to fabricate a few photographs and a film reel to support his claims. I’m sure that I would’ve dismissed his story as well, if I hadn’t already seen cutting-edge theoretical physics papers and astronomical observations converging upon Daniel Fry’s scientific claims, rather than rapidly diverging, as all of the other contactee stories had done long ago.

In any case, thank you for the delightful, entertaining, and provocative look back at the dawn of ufology. The wonderful and mysterious story of independent confirmation of the lovely Aura Rhanes and her custom-made pendant – that alone merits a close listening to this particular show.

Thank you for making The Paracast “the gold standard of paranormal radio,” Gene and Chris.

Last edited:
At least there were some sci-fi movies that were worth watching, such as, "The Day the Earth Stood Still," and "Forbidden Planet." I wonder if "Star Trek" would have even been created without the influences of the latter.

Oh yeah – those were both brilliant; I didn't mean to paint the whole era with a single brush. You make a good point – Forbidden Planet could’ve been a Star Trek episode; it probably did lay the foundation for the series (the pilot episode especially had a Forbidden Planet vibe). In fact the top sci-fi writers of that time understood how to write provocative and epic sci-fi stories far better than most of the writers today. That probably has something to do with the collapse of the publishing market – I know some terrific writers but they all have to do other kinds of work because it’s virtually impossible to survive on a writing career today. I just sent Harlan Ellison’s wonderful “Demon with a Glass Hand” episode of The Outer Limits from 1964 to a friend of mine, because the gravitas and richly imaginative storyline of that episode still holds up over 50 years later.

We still get some pleasant surprises from time to time though. I thought Primer was great, especially given the virtually nonexistent indie budget. And I’m loving the fresh and imaginative new series Legion. And the first season of Westworld built up to a stunning crescendo. But none of those have the exuberant grandeur of the best interplanetary sci-fi.

It kinda seems like the decline in good spacefaring sci-fi has followed the prevailing cultural view that practical manned interstellar travel is unattainable in the near term. Sci-fi seemed to flourish around the idea when it seemed like interstellar travel was right around the corner. I bet that’ll turn around when someone makes some kind of key experimental breakthrough that unlocks the door to those possibilities again.

Last edited:
Back