• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Why Is There So Much Crime And Violence On TV?

5hownewsday

Paranormal Novice
I'm sitting at home on a cold Saturday night, and I'm too poor for premium cable...So I am looking through the basic channels to see what I can watch, and all I see is murder, cops, criminals and violence.

What is going on with TV today? I can't seem to turn to CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX without seeing some innocent civilian being the victim of crime on some crime show, or see cops chasing criminals or see people argue and fight each other on a court show.

I find all of this to be very disturbing and maybe deliberate. It seems as if the media is trying to scare the living daylights out of everyday citizens.

There is so much violence and crime on TV that I am almost ready to stop watching altogether.

I shouldn't turn on my TV to see an innocent young woman being threatened by a psychopath who has put dynamite around her body.

What's going on?!?

There was a program on the BBC recently called "How TV Ruined Your Life" which was all about this topic, saying that from an early age we are conditioned to live in a state of fear/ near panic. And, you know, the more I watch the news and TV in general the more I think they're right. Turn the thing off I say (apart from Sunday evening's when Sky shows the Spanish La Liga, and maybe HBO.....)

Yes, because before the 21st century TV was a placid arena of Zen-like calm and only wholesome, non-violent, educational programs existed...

Back