• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Who said Cattle Mutilations have stopped being reported?

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member

Cow Mutilations in Western Missouri Baffle Ranchers

Recent cow mutilations in western Missouri have ranchers concerned about the loss of their livestock. Henry County rancher Lyn Mitchell is baffled by the mutilations of two of her cows in the past nine days.

Kansas City, Missouri July 19, 2013

Site of July 10 cow mutilation
Photo copyright 2013 by Margie Kay​
On July 10, 2013 Lyn Mitchell arrived at her ranch in Northwest Henry County, W
est of Warrensburg, and found a six-year old healthy Black Angus cow lying dead. The cow's udder, anus, reproductive organs, ear, and tongue had been removed with precision, yet no blood or fluids were found on the ground. Lyn found an article on animal mutilations written by Chuck Zukowski, so she promptly contacted Chuck, who lives in Colorado. Zukowski forwarded the case to Kansas City resident and investigator Margie Kay.

Kay and fellow investigator Larry Jordan visited the site and took soil and grass samples to be examined by a lab in Colorado. They found a strange black outline around where the cow had been lying on the ground that looked like burnt grass. No samples were taken from the cow, who was badly decomposing and had been moved to a different location. Mitchell related that a calf was found mutilated with tissue and muscle removed from the jaw, and the tongue removed in December of 2011 in a nearby pasture.

238.jpg
Mutilated cow found on July 19, 2013
Photo copyright 2013 by Margie Kay​

On July 19 Lyn Mitchell called Margie Kay to report that yet another of her cows was found dead. Kay and Jordan arrived just after the sheriff and veterinarian completed their investigations. Mitchel left the site at 6:00 p.m on Wednesday, July 17 and all of her cows were accounted for. The veterinarian told Mitchell that the teats had been cut from the udder, the tongue was cut out, and an incision had been made between the front legs with the heart lying outside the body. There was little blood in the chest cavity or heart, which is very unusual. The vet explained that he could not identify the cause of death, but that it definitely was not caused by animals due to the precise cuts on the cow. Kay and Jordan found no blood on the scene, which would normally be found if the cow had been mutilated at that same location. No tracks from vehicles were found, and the only entrance gate to the property was locked.​

Lyn Mitchell is distraught over the loss of her cows. She said "I don't understand why someone would want to do this to an animal, or how they accomplished it." Mitchel said that each cow was worth approximately $2,000, not taking into account the future calves they would have produced. She pointed out that all three mutilated animals were very healthy and the best of her stock.

A similar cow mutilation near Rich Hill, Missouri occurred on April 10, 2013. A cow mutilation near KCI airport was reported to local media January 5, 2012 and was covered by local news. Kay and another investigator found a 2" indentation in the hard ground where the cow was lying, indicating that the animal may have been dropped from above. Two more cow mutilations occurred n Southwest Missouri in 2011 and 2009. The land owners live on the property and report seeing large craft or balls of light in several locations, which they cannot explain. In all of the above cases, the cows were mutilated in a similar manner, there were precision cuts on the animals, and no blood was found in the area. All of the locations are rural, with limited traffic and accessibility, and gates are always locked.

Other similar incidents have occurred in Missouri and it is believed that Missouri was one of the first state to report animal mutilations in the 1960's.
Lab testing in past cases has shown changes in the soil, where it has become non-water soluble. This can only occur if extremely high heat is applied to the ground, and so far there is no explanation for this anomaly.

Kay has set up a new website where people can report incidents atanimuteinv.blogspot.com.
Anyone with information about animal mutilations may contact Margie Kay at Quest Investigation group, [email protected] or 816-833-1602.

I'm looking forward to your upcoming book Chris - do you remember in the late 80's or early 90's - I think - there were a number of horse mutilation cases in the UK? Do you have anything to add to what was reported in the press, these days I don't know if it was all some cover-story about mad cults. I certainly remember the press but not much more.

Chris, to me that first picture looks a little too convenient, if I followed the article correctly, initially there was a carcass involved. If the area was subject to high heat (there was burnt grass) shouldn't the outline be reversed? shouldn't the area directly under the cow be untouched, but maybe flattened out or a little decayed, and the surronding grass be burnt ?

I'm looking forward to your upcoming book Chris - do you remember in the late 80's or early 90's - I think - there were a number of horse mutilation cases in the UK? Do you have anything to add to what was reported in the press, these days I don't know if it was all some cover-story about mad cults. I certainly remember the press but not much more.
Just getting to the late eighties and 90s, YES I will be mentioning the horse slasher cases. Have already covered the Edalji case from 1903 to 1907 in Staffordshire. Here's a Stalking the Herd excerpt just for Paracasters:

Another interesting case Charles Fort cites features what may be the first (and possibly only) arrest and conviction of an alleged perpetrator of a livestock mutilation on record. I find it especially intriguing that the alleged attacker was of Indian Hindi decent. In this case, the victims were horses. In India cattle are considered sacred and not slaughtered as a food source and the alleged perpetrator was an educated lawyer and a Christian clergyman. It’s interesting that Fort calls the case a “cattle mutilation” yet the initial animal victimized was officially a horse. This curious miss-applied term is also found in the pivotal first publicized "cattle mutilation" of Snippy the Horse and may be a clue behind dissemination of these mutilation reports out into the culture-at-large:

The most widely known case of cattle-mutilation [my italics] is that which involved a young lawyer, George Edalji, son of a Hindu, who was a clergyman in the village of Wyrley, Staffordshire, England. The first of a series of outrages occurred upon the night of February 2, 1903. A valuable horse [my italics] was ripped. Then, at intervals, up to August 27th, there were mutilations of horses, cows and sheep. Suspicion was directed to Edalji, because of anonymous letters, accusing him. After the mutilation of a horse, August 27th, Edalji was arrested. The police searched his house, and, according to them, found an old coat, upon which were bloodstains. In the presence of Edalji’s parents and his sister, the police said that there were horse hairs [29 in total] found upon this coat…The police said that shoes worn by Edalji exactly fitted tracks in the field, where the horse had been mutilated…The case against Edalji convinced a jury, which found him guilty, and he was sentenced to seven years, penal servitude.​

Edalji’s parents steadfastly maintained their son’s innocence and non-other than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the creator of Sherlock Holmes) championed his innocence. In his book, Great Stories of Real Life, (George Newnes, 1935) Doyle points out that the parents never saw the alleged horse hairs said by police to have been on their son’s coat and that by the time police investigated the mutilation crime scene, dozens of people had left footprints at the site. It may be that the convicted Hindi horse slasher may have been innocent after all. Doyle’s publicity in the media had a definite impact on Edalji’s case and his case became re-viewed by the authorities. According to Fort:
…Because of Doyle’s disclosures, the government appointed a committee to investigate, and the report of this committee was that Edalji had been wrongfully convicted…According to a re-consideration… the slasher of cattle, [my italics] of Wyrley (sic), remained uncaught. In the summer of 1907, in the same region, again there was a slashing…Aug.22, 1907—a horse mutilated, near Wyrley…Five nights later, two horses, in another field, were slashed so that they died. September 8 —horse slashed, at Brentwood, Staffordshire…For about a month injuries to horses continued to be reported… [again, my italics]​

I am convinced this juxtaposition of horse for cow is important. I sense that there is some sort of collective trigger that is impacted by this confusion of livestock descriptions. [END OF EXCERPT]

Chris, to me that first picture looks a little too convenient, if I followed the article correctly, initially there was a carcass involved. If the area was subject to high heat (there was burnt grass) shouldn't the outline be reversed? shouldn't the area directly under the cow be untouched, but maybe flattened out or a little decayed, and the surronding grass be burnt ?
I don't think its actually a burn mark. If it is it would indicate that the animal had been somehow heated up to a very high temperature. If I had to venture a guess I'd say the discoloration was probably be due to drained body fluid discoloring the grass (I've seen this effect at other cases), but it is impossible to ascertain anything definitive from photographs—you need to scientifically analyze the grass and soil, etc. I'll call Margie and find out what the testing concluded...

I thought about that too, but my thinking was that if the discoloration was due to bodily fluids it still wouldn't be so neatly defined. That is, there would be irregularities (spl?) In the outline from pooling fluids. Not unlike crime scenes where blood may escape and flow away. .. ugh!... Not trying to come off as a dick, it's just that the first picture came off a little too clean, but I would take a back seat to your insight.

I thought about that too, but my thinking was that if the discoloration was due to bodily fluids it still wouldn't be so neatly defined. That is, there would be irregularities (spl?) In the outline from pooling fluids. Not unlike crime scenes where blood may escape and flow away. .. ugh!... Not trying to come off as a dick, it's just that the first picture came off a little too clean, but I would take a back seat to your insight.
Again, it is impossible to ascertain anything definitively from a single photo, it does look a bit strange...however the maggot bloom may have been what discolored the grass. I left a message for Margie.

How far off is the new book Chris? :)
I dunno, plugging away. I'm half to 2/3rds or so done. Hard to say... depends on how many pages I'll be allowed to have... its kinda looking like it will come out around 450 to 500 pages. I suspose we could make the type smaller and try for below 400 pages, but only older folks seem to read books, so that may not be an option:eek:

Clocking in @ 50+ a tad I guess I'm one of those older folks so I appreciate the thought about those of us with older peepers. Perhaps Chris some of the information you want to present... such as documentations and such...could be supplemental and posted on a related Web site if you want to keep the page count low.

Clocking in @ 50+ a tad I guess I'm one of those older folks so I appreciate the thought about those of us with older peepers. Perhaps Chris some of the information you want to present... such as documentations and such...could be supplemental and posted on a related Web site if you want to keep the page count low.

Nice idea that Spooky.
And on the subject of books, I love the feel and the smell of them and there is nothing like relaxing with a good book and a cup of coffee.

It'll be footnoted, referenced, indexed and bibliographied up the wazoo. I was planning on reprinting Rommel's Operation Animal Mutilation, the NIDS Mute/Mad-cow and the Montana mute papers (if I can get permission), some complete State diagnostic lab forensic reports and the RCMP study, The Bovine Excision Site Study, plus other things—all in an appendix. May have to set up website to handle the reports... good idea!

It's been pretty hot down there lately and it wouldn't surprise me to see a black bull keel over just from the heat, then get eaten by predators. As for Margie Kay ... is this the same Margie Kay from MUFON who was saying that an object in the same place as Arcturus was actually a UFO? I recommend turning up the skeptometer.

It's been pretty hot down there lately and it wouldn't surprise me to see a black bull keel over just from the heat, then get eaten by predators.
Let's look at the results from the forensic testing when they are made available before we turn on the investigator. At least she took the time to go out there, spend the time it takes to collect samples and do an amateur site investigation. It ain't fun or easy, believe me!

Let's look at the results from the forensic testing when they are made available before we turn on the investigator. At least she took the time to go out there, spend the time it takes to collect samples and do an amateur site investigation. It ain't fun or easy, believe me!
No need to worry about me turning on Margie ( that sounded odd didn't it :confused: ? ).
Workshop: Connecting with the Star People:

"Margie share some of her own encounters, both in the 3-dimensional world and in other dimensions or via astral travel, and discusses her ongoing contact with two Star People (Mantis and Thor) who have shown her visions of future events for the Earth and opened new gifts for me to use for the benefit of humanity. Many of these events have already come to pass. Practice connecting with your own Star Guides."

It's been pretty hot down there lately and it wouldn't surprise me to see a black bull keel over just from the heat, then get eaten by predators. As for Margie Kay ... is this the same Margie Kay from MUFON who was saying that an object in the same place as Arcturus was actually a UFO? I recommend turning up the skeptometer.

As the owner of the property and the animals on it, I have to respond. I agree an older, ill, or otherwise compromised animal could "keel over" from hot temperatures, but these were prime animals in good health. We had way hotter temps last summer for longer periods of time and I had none die from heat. I witnessed these animal first hand and have many photos that testify to what I found. Just looking for answers and open to any possibilities.......

As the owner of the property and the animals on it, I have to respond. I agree an older, ill, or otherwise compromised animal could "keel over" from hot temperatures, but these were prime animals in good health. We had way hotter temps last summer for longer periods of time and I had none die from heat. I witnessed these animal first hand and have many photos that testify to what I found. Just looking for answers and open to any possibilities.......
Thank you so much for joining the forum and adding your comments :) ! I am a major proponent of the value of firsthand experience. While my suggestion was reasonable and rational given the heat wave down there, your experience cannot be ignored. If you say it was unusual, I don't doubt you. However I might add that heat may not have been the sole causal factor. All animals can randomly die of a wide range of natural causes that aren't immediately apparent. What's needed is a forensic investigation. Hopefully you have someone to help you with that. I'm also sure you will find Christopher O'Brien's insights on strange animal deaths to be very helpful. He's done a lot of research and knows what questions to ask and what to look for. He's what you might call our resident expert on this topic. If you haven't been in touch with him already, I recommend that you contact him.

Back