• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Who Needs a TV? I’m Watching on a Laptop

I have a laptop that does stuff I have no clue how to use, has programs that do things I don't even know I need, and I don't know where to learn how to use them.
I probably have duplicate programs for wordprocessing, maybe even triplicate. I have iTunes, which syncs with the iPod, but there are other media programs on this puppy and a remote for crying out loud! that I have never used.
I go back and forth between WordPerfect and Word, QuattroPro and Excel. I wish I could just settle on one and be done with it.
and never mind the extras for the camera download... three different printers, two different camera programs AAARRGGGHHH!
And people watch tv on these things?:eek::confused:

Basics - Who Needs a TV? I’ve Got a Laptop. - NYTimes.com

Just quoted the title, I don't own a laptop:) I love net tv sites though. Being able to watch stuff when you want and with a lot less commercials is nice. Past few months I've watched nearly 7 seasons of Smallville lol.

I can't remember the last time I watched a TV show at its normal scheduled time. I work very long hours usually from 1:00pm tho 1:00am in the morning 5 days a week. Its either on-demand or the internet for my TV goodness.

Netflix watch instantly has TONS of full seasons of TV shows. I've never seen Heroes and only a few episodes of Lost. Which means I don't know what the hell is going on. I may have a marathon on a Saturday. Just wish they would get some adult swim stuff on there.

Well since dvrs/tivos, record then watch to fastforward through idiot commercials. I do like the Ozzy samsung commercial though. If they were all that amusing it wouldn't be so bad.

Bah, I'd still fastforward.

my PC is attached to a big LCD TV screen along with everything else DVD , digital TV tuner etc, so its all seamless from my pov, and a lot of the free to air TV thats shown is also available for streaming from the net.

plus there is practical stuff, ive recently favourited vidoes showing how to pollinate tomatos and cucumber in hothouses, and how to make home made chappati bread. there are so many cooking demos, i need a monitor in the kitchen.

my mac g5 tower is connected to an AppleTV which is connected to a sony bravia 46 HDTV along with my logitech 5500 speakers. i can download movies, tv shows, podcasts, music, etc, or connect to youtube and watch on the hdtv. i love the AppleTV even tho it has a few drawbacks is has great potential.

my PC is attached to a big LCD TV screen along with everything else DVD , digital TV tuner etc, so its all seamless from my pov, and a lot of the free to air TV thats shown is also available for streaming from the net.

I'm getting a headache. I'll stick with my DVR and the plasma.::)

I have an AMD core 3 that I hooked up tp a new 32 LCD (Using an HDMI cable) I would have gotten bigger, but I'm like 6 feet from the damn thing! I don't even have a separate DVD I just use the computer DVD. I have a Dual link video card that attaches the TV and a HP 2207w LCD monitor (My god its beautiful ). Like you said everything is seamless, I just choose a mode on my remote and I'm off.

plus there is practical stuff, ive recently favourited vidoes showing how to pollinate tomatos and cucumber in hothouses, and how to make home made chappati bread. there are so many cooking demos, i need a monitor in the kitchen.

I use this cool little sevice from Nokia. Its an N800 internet tablet. It is a wireless device with an awesome little linux OS. Its got like a 4 inch wide screen display and a little folding stand so its stands on its own. I use it for VOIP and its got this cool little camera that pops out the side and rotates so you can use it as a VOIP video phone. If you have a wireless connection at home, just have it search for wireless, put in your WEP key and your done! You have the internet in the palm of your hand. Its even got two SD slots for storage.

Are there ipods that let you surf the net, or are they just for music/show downloads? I'm wanting something besides a Iphone to use that lets me surf the net. I hate waiting rooms and lines etc. and this would make my life easier having something to do while I wait on idiots to actually do their jobs etc..

Here's a cool site where I been watching Smallville. They basically have all 8 seasons and it's free. Other shows are there, look around.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/

Veoh and hulu.com is pretty cool too.

Here's a free movie site that's decent. A lot of the vids don't work, but it's real cool if and when you luck out.
http://joox.net/

Feel free to post any free tv sites etc.

I been looking for a free site to watch all the episodes of Hell's Kitchen. Anyone know of some? Can only find a season here and there.

Are there ipods that let you surf the net, or are they just for music/show downloads? I'm wanting something besides a Iphone to use that lets me surf the net. I hate waiting rooms and lines etc. and this would make my life easier having something to do while I wait on idiots to actually do their jobs etc..

I think the Ipod touch allows you to surf the net. I know the Iphone does.

Cute. I'm surprised Gene Simmons isn't doing a commercial for a cell phone, too.

Well since dvrs/tivos, record then watch to fastforward through idiot commercials. I do like the Ozzy samsung commercial though. If they were all that amusing it wouldn't be so bad.

Bah, I'd still fastforward.

Back