• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

what haunted my house?

McFancyPants

Paranormal Novice
I'm so sorry if this is too long!!!!

A few years ago I lived in a house with a few roommates. The house had belonged to my friend's dad who had just up and left about 2 years prior. A lot of random things were left in the house and out of 1-10; the house was about a 4.5-5 as far as good condition. Animals had gotten in to the house and we had to clear it out. While clearing it out, we found a dead squirrel matted to the floor in the closet (sorry) and found that one of the rooms was filled with huge horseflies. Now, I believe in all sorts of paranormal things and whatnot but even I considered the fly issue a result of the squirrel and other nasty things in the house. However, my friends were convinced that either the neighbor had died (we hadn't seen her but once at the beginning of the two month-long cleaning-out process[the house was a 2 story duplex]) or it was demon-related.
I spent my childhood growing-up with ghost stories and watching all kinds of documentaries about ghosts so I knew they were just playing up to their imagination. However, my friend (who had lived there with his dad before his dad moved) told me a few stories. The one that really sticks out in my memory was his witness of an evil apparition. Apparently, when he, his dad, his brother and step-mother first moved in to the place after buying it, he was his brother were sleeping on the floor in the living room and he suddenly got a really horrible feeling. He opened his eyes and saw a figure on the stairs. His immediate reaction was that it was his father so he started to say something and suddenly felt paralyzed, more with fear I think and not so much in the physical sense. He said the man came down the stairs and looked him the eyes and stared and said he could feel evil in the stare. But, as quickly as it had happened, it disappeared and he said nothing else really happened in the house other than bad feelings. I should mention that the windows has strange locks that required 2 people to open them and the smallest room had a lock on the outside of the door. It might not sound like much but it looked intentional and it was very unsettling. This was done by some previous owners and not my friend's father.
Anyway, that was about 4-6 years before we all moved in and cleaned out the house. It was about 6 months or so after we moved in that little things had started happening. Sometimes, the washing machine and dyer doors would open during a cycle. Or, sometimes things were mysteriously moved somewhere else. However, at the time, there were 4 of us so we couldn't really say for sure it was something paranormal. The only one who really experienced anything was one of my roommates who said she always heard humming in her room. Though none of us heard it, we still believed her. Long after she moved out, I had mended fences with my best friend who I hadn't spoken to in about a year (she's extremely sensitive to presences) and she came over and as soon as she went in to the roommates old room, she asked what the humming noise was. I hadn't spoken to her in a year, much less, mentioned something that irrelevant to her when we finally did speak.
When I really started believing that something was going on is when 2 of the roommates moved out and it was just myself, my friend and his girlfriend and these things started happening when I was alone. At first it was the same thing with the washer and dryer and stuff of that nature but then, I started hearing things downstairs. They started out as noises like things moving around or someone tapping on the glass. i remember one time, i heard a noise and went downstairs and the door was wide open and the dogs had gotten out. This actually ended up happening a few times. I think once we were all convinced that there was something in the house is when we gave it more power because the noises evolved in to voices and loud bangs. One time, I heard someone slam the door open and I heard my roommate and his girlfriend arguing on the stairs and then silence. I cracked open my door and called out their names and no one answered. I assumed his girlfriend was probably downstairs crying and just didn't want to answer and that he had left. i went downstairs to see if she was alright and found no one. I immediately ran up to my room and called them to see where they were and they were still on the other side of town. I didn't really panic because it didn't really feel threatening, however, the imitation of voices certainly made me uneasy because I know that's not a good sign.
After they got home, I asked Kat (roommates g/f) to take a walk and talk to me. I told her about what had happened and told her that I'd often hear small dogs barking downstairs (we had big dogs at the time, and like a child you know well, you learn your dogs bark and this was not one of our dogs) and I'd sometimes hear things on the stairs. She said she'd heard the same things too, and said she'd even heard little girls playing on the stairs before.
As all us were kind of "hip" to the paranormal rules of hauntings, it turned out that, like myself, they weren't saying anything to me to avoid giving anything any more power. It was then that Kat said we should cleanse the house. We went to some special magic store (i'm so dumb to all of this so i'm sorry if i'm offending anyone) and she bought blessed sage.
The next day, my roommate and I went to his band's rehearsal and she stayed to cleanse the house. After we were gone about 2 hours, his brother called us saying Kat was hysterical and we should come home. Apparently, he had come over to help her but she had started before he got there and when he walked in, she was white sitting on the living room couch.
She was feeling much better by the time we got there and said she had started burning the sage downstairs and worked up way up. I'm not sure if it was the last room where she had chased whatever it was but when she started in my room, she said the sage smoke suddenly filled the whole room like a thick fog and the fire detector (with no battery) began to go off in the hallway. She said it drained her energy and the next thing she knew, she was sitting on the floor. It was shortly after that when my friend's brother got there and she had made her way to the couch downstairs.
The strangest part about that was that my room had always been the safe haven. It was the only place in the house where there was any sense of calm and peace and it was usually where everyone hung out and socialized.
After that, everything remained calm, however, we all began to feel less energetic, we wouldn't leave the house very often and we all started bickering. There hadn't been any tension prior to that other than just the general annoyances of living with someone and this was very different. After we'd all moved out though, all the tension was gone and everything was as it was before. Kat came to the conclusion that it was a vampira (?) of some sort and it was slowly sucking out our energy to become more powerful because we'd weakened it with the sage. I don't know about all of that but I do know that the energy never really felt dark or heavy in a threatening way, but it wasn't welcoming either. I've never done research on the house so I don't know of any deaths or anything strange happening. The only knowledge I have of the previous owners were the windows and the lock on the outside of the child-size bedroom door.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I'm so sorry this was so long!!!!
I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any.

What is the approximate time period that these events occurred in ? At the risk of sounding disengenious , these events sound somewhat harmless if not scary. Aside from the initial apparition there seems to more pranksterish events than outright hostility or malignance which seems to be the usual course of events eventually, especially if one does get into the energy feeding type of thing, unless the entity fed off annoyance.

:)

i'd say about 6-8 months? Although the peak of it probably only lasted about 2 months. It really didn't feel threatening until we tried to get it out of the house and then the entire energy of the house changed even though there was no activity. A few times people mentioned the energy of the house to us, and I think it's because they were comfortable enough with us to say something -- so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is likely most people noticed it.

If the phenomena does not have a natural or manmade explanation, then next explanation that makes the most sense is something alien. We don't need to invoke dead people's spirits or vampiras or other mythological / fictional explanations. All that is required to produce paranormal phenomena is adequate technology, knowledge and intelligence and our alien visitors have demostrated all these things.

I don't think the post was too long. If detail is required, then absolutely write the detail and the background. I've seen one apparation-type thing with another witness but to date I've never felt anything in any house or building.
I suppose I would be interested to hear if anything similar is still happening to anyone involved, you know once people get married etc and go their own way. I am fascinated by the idea that haunting could be about people as well as places.
There is no doubt in my mind that being the subject of a haunting -whatever the cause- must be frightening and much more so if you think it's about you and not the home.

McFancyPants - I like that post and it's precisely why I come to this forum, to hear it from people first hand so I can add to my knowledge bank of the paranormal in the hope that one day I might actually work it all out!
If you have more to tell, then by all means, please do.

If the phenomena does not have a natural or manmade explanation, then next explanation that makes the most sense is something alien. We don't need to invoke dead people's spirits or vampiras or other mythological / fictional explanations. All that is required to produce paranormal phenomena is adequate technology, knowledge and intelligence and our alien visitors have demostrated all these things.

I don't really feel that spirits are fictional - there are plenty of things we don't know regarding other dimensions and physics -- there is still plenty we don't know about our own planet. I won't deny the possibility of extraterrestrial interference but I also won't deny the possibility of ghosts. I have a very open mind regarding everything in life and that includes the "problems" we encountered at that house.
But from the stories I've heard of alien encounters and such, this doesn't really match the criteria, nor would it make much sense for an alien to put so much focus on trying to scare us.
But, you never know :)

I don't think the post was too long. If detail is required, then absolutely write the detail and the background. I've seen one apparation-type thing with another witness but to date I've never felt anything in any house or building.
I suppose I would be interested to hear if anything similar is still happening to anyone involved, you know once people get married etc and go their own way. I am fascinated by the idea that haunting could be about people as well as places.
There is no doubt in my mind that being the subject of a haunting -whatever the cause- must be frightening and much more so if you think it's about you and not the home.

McFancyPants - I like that post and it's precisely why I come to this forum, to hear it from people first hand so I can add to my knowledge bank of the paranormal in the hope that one day I might actually work it all out!
If you have more to tell, then by all means, please do.

Thank you, I feared the length would deter most people. :) I haven't actually been able to get a hold of either of them in quite a while but the last few times I spoke to them, it wasn't something that was brought up, so I'm assuming it was just the house. And it wasn't frightening at all, just a strange feeling. It's very difficult to explain. But, you have a point, it still didn't really feel like home. I just hope that, whatever it was, it's found some sort of peace and the new owners aren't "pitted" against each other.

I don't really feel that spirits are fictional - there are plenty of things we don't know regarding other dimensions and physics -- there is still plenty we don't know about our own planet. I won't deny the possibility of extraterrestrial interference but I also won't deny the possibility of ghosts. I have a very open mind regarding everything in life and that includes the "problems" we encountered at that house. But from the stories I've heard of alien encounters and such, this doesn't really match the criteria, nor would it make much sense for an alien to put so much focus on trying to scare us.
But, you never know :)

Ghostly phenomena seem different than the stereotypical alien encounter, however when we consider the elements than make up these experiences we find that they are not as far apart as they first appear. For example, there is the aspect of levitation ( UFOs seem to utilize antigravity ) and invisibility ( Some UFO reports indicate a kind of cloaking ability ). Knowledge of the history of a particular location or person could be due to long term monitoring. We humans setup covert monitoring for animals and perform various experiments designed to study animal behavior. If aliens have been coming here for a long time, perhaps to them we're just another species of interest. All these things are within the realm of scientific plausibility. On the other hand disembodied dead people requires a whole other approach to what the universe actually is and how it works. The dimensions that are mentioned in some physics papers are mathematical constructs that apply only on very small scales and do nothing to explain the possibility of continuity of consciousness following death.

Great post. That really is a side to aliens and ghosts I'd never put together. Who knows if it's the case but with the evidence (or lack thereof) we have today, it's as good as any other theory IMO.

Mr Streiber is making mention of what he thinks is a solid connection between the dead and the visitors.

I personally think there may indeed be a common element, as per my substrate independent minds thread.

If it is technologically possible for sentience to transcend biological status, then it may be inevitable that it does so.

If we add time travel to the transbiological discussion, ie that the visitors are post biological humans from the "future", then imo parts of the puzzle fit even better.

The whole ghosts / religion / life after biological death meme, may be a valid strategy to prepare us for the next phase of existance.

To make what happens next less of a shock

Ghostly phenomena seem different than the stereotypical alien encounter, however when we consider the elements than make up these experiences we find that they are not as far apart as they first appear. For example, there is the aspect of levitation ( UFOs seem to utilize antigravity ) and invisibility ( Some UFO reports indicate a kind of cloaking ability ). Knowledge of the history of a particular location or person could be due to long term monitoring. We humans setup covert monitoring for animals and perform various experiments designed to study animal behavior. If aliens have been coming here for a long time, perhaps to them we're just another species of interest. All these things are within the realm of scientific plausibility. On the other hand disembodied dead people requires a whole other approach to what the universe actually is and how it works. The dimensions that are mentioned in some physics papers are mathematical constructs that apply only on very small scales and do nothing to explain the possibility of continuity of consciousness following death.

Yeah, I never really thought of it that way. Either way, anything is a possibility and I'm sure I'll be long dead before sufficient evidence of either is found.

Great post. That really is a side to aliens and ghosts I'd never put together. Who knows if it's the case but with the evidence (or lack thereof) we have today, it's as good as any other theory IMO.

Thanks Goggs. Much appreciated. Other common factors are strange lights, equipment turning on and off or behaving oddly, health effects, and if as some people claim, aliens are telepathic and have some kind of mind control there aren't any ghostly phenomena I can think of that could not be duplicated.

Back