• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What a Waste, the U.S. Military/How Not to Audit the Pentagon

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
By William Hartung/Tomsdispatch April 10, 2016

(Tomsdispatch NOTE: Late last year, I spent some time digging into the Pentagon’s “reconstruction” efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, countries it invaded in 2001 and 2003 in tandem with a chosen crew of warrior corporations. As a story of fabled American can-do in distant lands, both proved genuinely dismal no-can-do tales, from roads built (that instantly started crumbling) to police academies constructed (that proved to be health hazards) to prisons begun (that were never finished) to schools constructed (that remained uncompleted) to small arms transfers (that were “lost” in transit) to armies built, trained, and equipped for stunning sums (that collapsed). It was as if nothing the Pentagon touched turned to anything but dross (including the never-ending wars it fought). All of it added up to what I then labeled a massive “$cam” with American taxpayer money lost in amounts that staggered the imagination.

(All of that came rushing back as I read TomDispatch regular William Hartung’s latest post on “waste” at the Pentagon. It didn’t just happen in Kabul and Baghdad; it’s been going on right here in the good old USA for, as Hartung recounts, the last five decades. There’s only one difference I can see: in Kabul, Baghdad, or any other capital in the Greater Middle East and Africa, if we saw far smaller versions of such “waste” indulged in by the elites of those countries, we would call it “corruption” without blinking. So here’s my little suggestion, as you read Hartung: think about just how deeply what once would have been considered a Third World-style of corruption is buried in the very heart of our system and in the way of life of the military-industrial complex. By now, President Dwight Eisenhower must be tossing and turning in his grave. Tom)

How Not to Audit the Pentagon
Five Decades Later, the Military Waste Machine Is Running Full Speed Ahead
By William D. Hartung

From spending $150 million on private villas for a handful of personnel in Afghanistan to blowing $2.7 billion on an air surveillance balloon that doesn’t work, the latest revelations of waste at the Pentagon are just the most recent howlers in a long line of similar stories stretching back at least five decades. Other hot-off-the-presses examples would include the Army’s purchase of helicopter gears worth $500 each for $8,000 each and the accumulation of billions of dollars' worth of weapons components that will never be used. And then there’s the one that would have to be everyone’s favorite Pentagon waste story: the spending of $50,000 to investigate the bomb-detecting capabilities of African elephants. (And here’s a shock: they didn’t turn out to be that great!) The elephant research, of course, represents chump change in the Pentagon’s wastage sweepstakes and in the context of its $600-billion-plus budget, but think of it as indicative of the absurd lengths the Department of Defense will go to when what’s at stake is throwing away taxpayer dollars.

Keep in mind that the above examples are just the tip of the tip of a titanic iceberg of military waste. In a recent report I did for the Center for International Policy, I identified 27 recent examples of such wasteful spending totaling over $33 billion. And that was no more than a sampling of everyday life in the twenty-first-century world of the Pentagon.

The staggering persistence and profusion of such cases suggests that it’s time to rethink what exactly they represent. Far from being aberrations in need of correction to make the Pentagon run more efficiently, wasting vast sums of taxpayer dollars should be seen as a way of life for the Department of Defense. And with that in mind, let’s take a little tour through the highlights of Pentagon waste from the 1960s to the present. REST OF ARTICLE AND BLOG POSTS HERE: RECOMMENDED!

The infrastructure in the US is crumbling under our noses yet the government wastes billions of dollars on frivolous war toys. Unbelievable!

US is not the only nation and agree sad events if all the facts are genuine? However, imagine how much goes on in Russia,China and other military institution lets not just signal out USA.

Now you see why there was an Iraq war. No other reason.

But is some of that waste being used to fund secret space programs and other covert projects?

Gene,
Depends which so called secret space programs are out there? Like to hear Dr Kevin Randle viewpoints on this and not all is ever disclosed byy those in power going historical events specifically Iraq Wars.

Gene,
Depends which so called secret space programs are out there? Like to hear Dr Kevin Randle viewpoints on this and not all is ever disclosed byy those in power going historical events specifically Iraq Wars.
I have never seen KR say/write anything that would impinge negatively upon a sterling, gung-ho image of the US military. I think he drank the who-yahh kool-aid a loong time ago...

Gene,
US is not the only nation and agree sad events if all the facts are genuine? However, imagine how much goes on in Russia,China and other military institution lets not just signal out USA.
The US military budget accounts for roughly 37% of all military spending in the world. The US spends more than the next 9 countries on the list. There is 1.7 trillion dollars spent totally by all countries of the earth. Feel safer?

imagine how much goes on in Russia,China and other military institution lets not just signal out USA.

If Russia and China’s military spending is dysfunctional and bloated with waste, I can’t say I have a problem with that.

There was quite an uproar early in the Bush Administration over the incredible waste in defense spending, as described in this 2003 article:
"Though Defense has long been notorious for waste, recent government reports suggest the Pentagon's money management woes have reached astronomical proportions. A study by the Defense Department's inspector general found that the Pentagon couldn't properly account for more than a trillion dollars in monies spent. A GAO report found Defense inventory systems so lax that the U.S. Army lost track of 56 airplanes, 32 tanks, and 36 Javelin missile command launch-units.”
Military waste under fire / $1 trillion missing -- Bush plan targets Pentagon accounting

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld led an effort to rein it in and transform our military spending. Thirteen years later it seems little has changed (though it could be said the main impact of Rumsfeld’s efforts was to privatize a lot of that spending and send a lot of that money directly to private corporations). And as Gene said, the Iraq War certainly did enrich a lot of Cheney’s buddies at Halliburton.

Its part and parcel of a system which wants to defend democracy which as a Superpower it nothing new in historical sense on defense wastage in times of peace or war agree waste is no excuse but not all who work in the Pentagon or the US Government are out to cheat US tax payers and allies who purchase it gear like F-35 etc. US is number one in defense when it does-not put all its ideas on the web, its expenditures and on paper which other non-democratic states don't adhere too.

Last edited:
Back