• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
1584557413773.pngSarah Scoles is a Denver-based freelance science writer, a contributing writer at WIRED Science, and a contributing editor at Popular Science. She is also the author of the book Making Contact: Jill Tarter and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence and They Are Already Here: UFO Culture and Why We See Saucers.

Sarah was also associate editor at Astronomy and a public education person at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, West Virginia. When not making sentences or recording conversations, Sarah enjoys reading short story collections, running weirdly long distances in the wilderness, teaching her dog English, and trying to become a better navigator.

The show will be recorded Thursday March 19, 2020. Post any questions or comments for discussion below.

I's a fact that pilots (and possibly even astronomers) sometimes see UFOs, but not report them out of fear of it ruining their careers. How do you remove that stigma?

What do you think about the possibility of incorporating UFO data gathering into existing scientific disciplines?

How can serious ufology differentiate itself from the cult-like religious faction that hogs the spotlight?

I's a fact that pilots (and possibly even astronomers) sometimes see UFOs, but not report them out of fear of it ruining their careers. How do you remove that stigma? What do you think about the possibility of incorporating UFO data gathering into existing scientific disciplines? How can serious ufology differentiate itself from the cult-like religious faction that hogs the spotlight?
Jeeze. We got so wrapped up in the actual show we forgot to ask your questions. I think we covered most of them there though anyway. We can carry on with the after show chatter if you'd like. I had to get going because of the time, but would have liked to have stayed and engaged on your parting comments about in-person live interviews with firsthand witnesses, where I suggested that they can change a person's perspective, and your counterpoint on how we can say the same thing about angels and bigfoot.

No worries. It was a fun conversation, and the Bigfoot mention was just me playing Devil’s Advocate to challenge your premise. We’ll revisit the topic next time.

As for Sarah, I thought she made for an excellent guest and I though your reading from her book was very good. I hope the narrator of her audiobook version has at least half your talent.

Back