• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Unknown orange/red glow over Pacific Ocean - August 24, 2014

Polterwurst

Paranormal Adept
Unknown orange/red glow over Pacific Ocean - August 24, 2014 Photo Gallery by Flying Dutchman at pbase.com

According to the pilots, there should have been open water only.

So, underwater volcano, bioluminescent algae, piezoelectricity or what? I guess these three theories are the most plausible ones. But if it's volcanic, shouldn't there be steam all over the place? I guess, piezoelectricity would just disperse in the water (?) And do you think these greenish northern lights have to do with the reddish ones below or is that just a coincidence?

In the "Glowing lights underneath the clouds" pictures there's also bluish and whitish lights. Does anybody know if bioluminescent algae get this colorful (in the same carpet) and bright or how far up north these carpets can be found?

Last edited:
Being it was taken near Kamchatka a volcano would have to be a consideration. As far as the lack of ash doesn't that depend on the type of volcano ? You have those Hawaiian volcanos that pump out lots of lava and relatively little ash/pumice and little explosive force because they disperse their energy (gases?) more regularly and then those massive explosive volcanos that hold their energy/gases then when they do erupt then obliterate everything in sight and throw out lots ash and pumice but little in the way of lava.

Perhaps that cloud that was encountered that could have been a dispersing steam cloud.

Last edited:
Any witnesses on the ground?

Not to my knowledge. Seems that no-one else has reported anything of the kind and the eye-witness report by the "Flying Dutchman" in my first link in the opening post says (highlighting by me):
A distant city or group of typical Asian squid-fishing-boats would not make sense in this area, apart from the fact that the lights we saw were much larger in size and glowed red/orange, instead of the normal yellow and white that cities or ships would produce.
The closer we got, the more intense the glow became, illuminating the clouds and sky below us in a scary orange glow. In a part of the world where there was supposed to be nothing but water.

Be sure to check out the first photo in the link
Comparison - Winnipeg and Pacific Lights photo - Flying Dutchman photos at pbase.com

It's a comparison with a photo of city lights taken from roughly the same height (34.000 feet) with the same exposure time (8 seconds). With this it's possible to get an approximation of the expanse of sea surface the lights seem to cover and mtake a guess at the real shape of the lights, which was probably circular.
The city of Winnipeg is about 22km (13,7miles / 11,9Nm) wide (in any direction). Compared to the other photo of the glowing lights passing underneath it seems that the size was roughly the same or even larger, and perhaps now you can imagine the size of the individual lights.
The green lights on the left is the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) that were very active last night.

Being it was taken near Kamchatka a volcano would have to be a consideration. As far as the lack of ash doesn't that depend on the type of volcano ? You have those Hawaiian volcanos that pump out lots of lava and relatively little ash/pumice and little explosive force because they disperse their energy (gases?) more regularly and then those massive explosive volcanos that hold their energy/gases then when they do erupt then obliterate everything in sight and throw out lots ash and pumice but little in the way of lava.

Perhaps that cloud that was encountered that could have been a dispersing steam cloud.
If the statement that "there was supposed to be nothing but water" is correct, the volcanic activity would probably have to be entirely under water and steam (but not necessarily smoke or ash, of course) would have had to rise constantly from the sea surface. Maybe that depends on how deep the water is, though. If there's enough cold sea water above, maybe there isn't that much steam reaching the surface (?)

But of course, with all the seismic activity lately, volcanic or piezoelectric activity would seem likely. I'm including possible piezoelectric phenomena because of the "light flash" seen at first, before approaching the area:

Then, very far in the distance ahead of us, just over the horizon an intense lightflash shot up from the ground. It looked like a lightning bolt, but way more intense and directed vertically up in the air. I have never seen anything like this, and there were no flashes before or after this single explosion of light.
Since there were no thunderstorms on our route or weather-radar, we kept a close lookout for possible storms that might be hiding from our radar and might cause some problems later on.

Last edited:
Check this out:
The "Flying Dutchman" has updated his site at Unknown orange/red glow over Pacific Ocean - August 24, 2014 Photo Gallery by Flying Dutchman at pbase.com with in-depth analyses of proposed explanations. He even discusses the UFO one shortly, amazingly without making fun of it:

1. UFOs

Proof for:
- The lights are as of yet “unidentified” and so without clear explanation we can’t totally rule out “alien” UFOs
- When all else fails, blame aliens.

Problems with this theory:
- These lights are inconsistent with more then 70 years of UFO reports according to FAA intelligence.
- UFO reports of last 60 years have many common characteristics and these lights do not share those characteristics, other than being “unexplained” and in the middle of nowhere.
- No evidence that these lights were associated with “flying” objects.

Verdict: Probably not a UFO or fleet of UFOs.

...I'm startn to like that guy... "When all else fails, blame aliens. " :D

My "bioluminescent algae" one obviously didn't make it on the list, though. I was thinking at first, maybe the exposure time makes the lights seem brighter than they actually were, but I guess the explanation doesn't float (pardon the pun).

An explanation which I didn't even consider is "burning methane gas" (methane ice become gaseous by changes in temperature, maybe global warming). Seems to me that he counts this as the most promising explanation.

This possibility is very interesting:

"5. Earthquake lights
Earthquake lights are an often reported anomaly that occurs often before/during/after heavy earthquakes. Until a few years ago often reported as UFO's, since the 1960's scientifically accepted as a side-effect of earthquakes in various forms and colors.
I have received a very interesting document from a highly regarded scientist specialized in (electro-)magnetic discharges of the atmosphere into the earths curst and vice versa. More research is done as we speak, and its cutting edge science with probably little or no proof. But it could provide a valuable report and a possible explanation for mysterious lights
Proof for:
- Earthquake lights are often seen during tectonic and seismic activities. Massive seismic activities during the weeks, days and especially hours before. Both Iceland, San Francisco and Chile experienced heavy earthquakes.
- Massive earthquake in Papua New Guinea (further South in the Ring of Fire) at 11:15:50 UTC August 24th (same day and time) , a few minutes before seeing the red glowing lights, a few minutes after seeing the bright white flash. Even though far away, this could have caused a 'reversed spike' in the atmospheres magnetic charge and have caused a large discharge in the atmosphere's upper ionization layers. Never observed before, but theoretically possible. Like a South and North pole on a magnet, the earths atmosphere might have an up and downcharge of its energy in case of severe magnetic changes. Still highly hypothetical.
- Both West-Greenland and Alaskan official magnetometers (sensors sensing changes in the Earth magnetic field) have sensed massive disruptions in the earths magmatic field up to an hour to minutes before, and exactly during the sighting of the red lights over the Pacific.

- Large amount of solar activity and massive Aurora Borealis before and after our sighting, indicating big charges of the ionosphere of the earths upper atmosphere
- Records of mysterious (red) lights in the sky go back to around 1000 yrs before Christ, the best recorded event the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 and 1812 and for the first time filmed in the 1960's in Japan. Since then often seen and recorded, though scientific evidence has not yet been provided.
- Could explain the flash of light since flashes of lights (even high up into the atmosphere) are often associated with earthquakes and earthquake lights.
- This area, South of Russia, was the location of the deepest earthquake known to Man back in 2012 and documented back in May 2014, which COULD have caused a potential weakening in the earth crust magnetic properties causing a downpeak in the energy flow.
Problems with Earthquake lights;
- Lights were shining continuously and probably for a long period of time (at least 30 minutes without changing luminescence, likely much longer).
- Earthquake lights are still very unknown but appear to shine only for a few minutes maximum. So many, extremely bright lights would indicate an extremely strong down peak of ionization, never observed before.
Verdict; could have great potential and seems likely. More research is being done.

Hassleden [ spelling ? ] light's, ionised plasma, along fault lines, lot's of the supposed critter pic's/vid's i check out are just those imo.

This one at first looks like a possible critter, then imo it looks to e like ball lightening/plasma fizzing out, that smoke cloud is big and it glows, they take on different colours.

At first glance i didnt like the distorted cable running through the shot, but the birds that fly thru between the cable and the cloud are not distorted frame by frame, so im pretty sure it's 'real' and natural.

hassleden isnt unique on earth above water, 2/3rds of the earth is below water and so therefore are 2/3rds of earths fault lines.

Last edited:
This possibility is very interesting:

"5. Earthquake lights
Earthquake lights are an often reported anomaly that occurs often before/during/after heavy earthquakes. Until a few years ago often reported as UFO's, since the 1960's scientifically accepted as a side-effect of earthquakes in various forms and colors.
I have received a very interesting document from a highly regarded scientist specialized in (electro-)magnetic discharges of the atmosphere into the earths curst and vice versa. More research is done as we speak, and its cutting edge science with probably little or no proof. But it could provide a valuable report and a possible explanation for mysterious lights
Proof for:
- Earthquake lights are often seen during tectonic and seismic activities. Massive seismic activities during the weeks, days and especially hours before. Both Iceland, San Francisco and Chile experienced heavy earthquakes.
- Massive earthquake in Papua New Guinea (further South in the Ring of Fire) at 11:15:50 UTC August 24th (same day and time) , a few minutes before seeing the red glowing lights, a few minutes after seeing the bright white flash. Even though far away, this could have caused a 'reversed spike' in the atmospheres magnetic charge and have caused a large discharge in the atmosphere's upper ionization layers. Never observed before, but theoretically possible. Like a South and North pole on a magnet, the earths atmosphere might have an up and downcharge of its energy in case of severe magnetic changes. Still highly hypothetical.
- Both West-Greenland and Alaskan official magnetometers (sensors sensing changes in the Earth magnetic field) have sensed massive disruptions in the earths magmatic field up to an hour to minutes before, and exactly during the sighting of the red lights over the Pacific.

- Large amount of solar activity and massive Aurora Borealis before and after our sighting, indicating big charges of the ionosphere of the earths upper atmosphere
- Records of mysterious (red) lights in the sky go back to around 1000 yrs before Christ, the best recorded event the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 and 1812 and for the first time filmed in the 1960's in Japan. Since then often seen and recorded, though scientific evidence has not yet been provided.
- Could explain the flash of light since flashes of lights (even high up into the atmosphere) are often associated with earthquakes and earthquake lights.
- This area, South of Russia, was the location of the deepest earthquake known to Man back in 2012 and documented back in May 2014, which COULD have caused a potential weakening in the earth crust magnetic properties causing a downpeak in the energy flow.
Problems with Earthquake lights;
- Lights were shining continuously and probably for a long period of time (at least 30 minutes without changing luminescence, likely much longer).
- Earthquake lights are still very unknown but appear to shine only for a few minutes maximum. So many, extremely bright lights would indicate an extremely strong down peak of ionization, never observed before.
Verdict; could have great potential and seems likely. More research is being done.

Huh. Thanks for pointing that out. He must have updated that between our posts. When I read the analyses before writing my last post, the "verdict" on the earthquake lights explanation was something like "unlikely" and there was much less text.

As for "earthquake lights" in gerneral being a possible explanation for UFO sightings (like Michael Peringer's explanation): sounds plausible, but as the Flying Dutchman rightly states

its cutting edge science with probably little or no proof

And what to make of reports of seemingly intelligent behaviour (like the foo fighters or some of the Hessdalen reports for example)? All lies?

Even Mr Shaeffer in last week's episode didn't really buy Persinger's theory that earthquake lights explained UFOs. More often than not, ball of light type reports can't be correlated with seismic activitiy, earthquakes, volcanos, fault lines etc. Why aren't they seen more often in active areas and why don't earthquakes that are higher on the the scale lead to more sightings?

Last edited:
according to the who forted blog this event has been solved, emphesis mine
Mind you, the theory and the second link ( Focus Sessions) are those of a self-professed psychic.

Deepwater Fire Anomaly in the Pacific SOLVED (UPDATED 9-3-14) - Who Forted? Magazine
also

Focus Sessions: Pacific Ocean Lava

"...When the Oracle looked at this picture, she saw huge quantities of a myriad of gases, with an oxygenated component, being “burped” from beneath the ocean floor into the deep water. These enormous gas bubble had somehow caught fire and were burning deep beneath the sea, never reaching the surface.
And that’s it. No ET here, sorry guys. It’s just another hellaciously frightening natural earth process. The good news is that it’s FAR AWAY, and… well… pretty. The not-so-bad news is that the earth has apparently been absorbing tons of extra energy since its magnetic field has waxed complementary in regards to the sun, inducing more volcanism (that Da-da predicted here back in June 2011), as well as, perhaps, the event pictured above..."
Now the other good/bad news. If you think of the earth as a giant living breathing entity — which she is, and a nice she at that — it’s conceivable that this activity might be due to the horrendous man-induced Fukushima radiation mayhem that’s occurring not far away to the south. Look at the map of the anomaly:

while i don't think i have a problem w/the initial explaination, i.e. earth's magnetic field changes i'm less sure on the emboldened part. which is to say that i don't have any doubts that Fukashima is going to be...or currently IS...responsible for a number of abnormalities in nature i don't think what would appear to be the birth of Godzilla would be one.

Last edited:
Back