• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UK Alien Big Cats

freemars2259

Skilled Investigator
ABCs - Alien Big Cats in Wales?:

http://binnallofamerica.com/rr9.12.8.html

...For many years now people across Wales and the rest of the UK have reported seeing the same basic creatures in and around rural areas. Amazingly, in 2002 alone a staggering 1,077 sightings across the UK were reported to the British Big Cat Society.

There have also been more than 40 such big cat sightings reported to police in North Wales since 2000. Plus, just think of how many people could have seen or even just heard something unusual (like my mother has) and never reported it to the authorities. Also, with its sparsely populated hills and ample supply of sheep for food, Wales would certainly be an ideal place for such animals to live and multiply covertly. However, where could they have come from? As we've already noted their are no known species of big cats native to Wales. So, how did they get here?

There are a couple intriguing theories on this. One of these I've always found interesting, is the idea that some of the exotic animals the Romans may have brought here to use in their amphitheatres could have escaped or even been let go into the wild. If not the Romans maybe the Victorians, they also kept exotic pets and used big cats in their circuses which could have escaped or been let loose.

Another theory that has always intrigued me is the idea that the ABCs might not be "Alien" at all but instead an unidentified species of big cat native to Britain, perhaps survivors from the prehistoric past. Fossil evidence indicates that the lynx survived in Britain until at least 1,500 years ago, its extinction due to human activity rather than environmental changes. Maybe in more remote areas (like parts of Wales) some managed to survive into modern times.

However, perhaps the most likely explanation is the idea that the animals could have been released into the wild after the Dangerous Wild Animals Act (1976) came into force. Many big cat owners, of course, did not want to have their animals taken away or even worse put down, so they released them in remote locations where it is argued the animals could have survived and met up to establish ever growing feral populations...

Read the rest here:

ABCs - Alien Big Cats in Wales?:

...For many years now people across Wales and the rest of the UK have reported seeing the same basic creatures in and around rural areas. Amazingly, in 2002 alone a staggering 1,077 sightings across the UK were reported to the British Big Cat Society.

There have also been more than 40 such big cat sightings reported to police in North Wales since 2000. Plus, just think of how many people could have seen or even just heard something unusual (like my mother has) and never reported it to the authorities. Also, with its sparsely populated hills and ample supply of sheep for food, Wales would certainly be an ideal place for such animals to live and multiply covertly. However, where could they have come from? As we've already noted their are no known species of big cats native to Wales. So, how did they get here?

There are a couple intriguing theories on this. One of these I've always found interesting, is the idea that some of the exotic animals the Romans may have brought here to use in their amphitheatres could have escaped or even been let go into the wild. If not the Romans maybe the Victorians, they also kept exotic pets and used big cats in their circuses which could have escaped or been let loose.

Another theory that has always intrigued me is the idea that the ABCs might not be "Alien" at all but instead an unidentified species of big cat native to Britain, perhaps survivors from the prehistoric past. Fossil evidence indicates that the lynx survived in Britain until at least 1,500 years ago, its extinction due to human activity rather than environmental changes. Maybe in more remote areas (like parts of Wales) some managed to survive into modern times.

However, perhaps the most likely explanation is the idea that the animals could have been released into the wild after the Dangerous Wild Animals Act (1976) came into force. Many big cat owners, of course, did not want to have their animals taken away or even worse put down, so they released them in remote locations where it is argued the animals could have survived and met up to establish ever growing feral populations...

Read the rest here:

[/quote.I believe that animal was big cat that escaped from a private owner somewhere in the area.

In southern Texas there is a type of large black cat, I believe it is a subspecies of puma. As far as I know it has never been photographed or documented, but they definitely exist. One took my brothers ducks.

we have them here too, and the reasons are often similar an animal park on the outskirts of sydney, some unlicensed cubs........ the owner letting them free in the bush rather than put them down.
another case in another state is put down to a pair of mascots brought in by a US marine company set free when too large.

im guessing as feral animals go the black panther is well adapted.
its a beautiful animal to start with so it has attracted our attention and is kept as eye candy, by zoos public and private. and its colouration and instincts suit a feral existance.

as i said we have them here, but its not seen as anything supernatural anymore than feral rabbits ,pigs,goats ,camels (yes camels) horses or foxes are.
just another animal brought here by man and let loose to go feral in the bush

There was a recent sighting in Western Sydney I believe. Even the new premier chimed in with the observation that if true there may be some safety issues to be concerned about.

yes the penrith panther lol, been seen from the base of the blue mountains out towards richmond, even our vet knows the story.

the "story" i heard was there was the "african lion safari" at mulgoa many years ago, bullens animal world. and that he overbred some stock and not having a license for the extra animals, was faced with the prospect of having to put them down, but having had a hand in the rearing of the animals couldnt do it, so he took them deep into the blue mountains national park and let them go....
or perhaps he had a containment breach and accidentally lost them

could be urban myth, but that property while no longer open to the public still to this day has a number of large cats in residence including a very nice Puma, who my vet (at mulgoa) treats

Seems logical to me that at some point something would have got out.

Please dont tell me thats where the Penrith Panthers got their name?

Back