• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Which explanation of the UFO phenomenon do you favor?

• The extraterrestrial hypothesis

• The secret military technology hypothesis

• The subterranean Earth civilization hypothesis

• The backwards-time-travelling civilization from Earth’s own future hypothesis

• The “interdimensional” hypothesis (whatever that means)

• The “something else” non-hypothesis (included only for the sake of completeness)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thomas R Morrison

Paranormal Adept
I’ve noticed a fairly strong bias against the extraterrestrial hypothesis lately, so I’d like to have a clear conversation about the various proposed explanations for ufo sightings, and also pose an argument for something that I feel is even more important. Namely, the eventual application of ufo technology.

I find the argument for the extraterrestrial hypothesis to be extremely well-founded. So it’s alarming to hear it disparaged fairly regularly on the show and here in the forums. Even more alarming is the vagueness of the objections to it; as if the popular position these days is “anything other than the ETH” - i.e. without actually specifying what that alternative hypothesis is. I get the impression that most of the people who object to it are simply bored with it because it’s so familiar. But that’s an illogical foundation for an objection: it’s so familiar because it’s withstood the progress of scientific understanding for decades – which is the earmark of a successful explanation.

The scientific method is our best, if not only, reliable method for understanding new phenomena. Hopefully we can all agree on that fundamental building block. As we all learned in school, the scientific method is comprised of five basic steps:

Step 1: Make an observation
Step 2: Ask a question
Step 3: Formulate a hypothesis
Step 4: Conduct an experiment
Step 5: Accept or reject the hypothesis

Applying this to the study of ufos, we find that there are a few different categories of ufos, but the one that stands out for most of us is the aerial observation of a phenomenon that conforms to the Twining memo, which allegedly lists the findings of several divisions of the US Army Air Force command. The description in this document is consistent with the common reports of the ufo phenomenon, so even if the Twining memo is inauthentic, it still provides a clear description of the parameters of a large bulk, if not the majority, of commonly reported sightings.

The memo lists a series of key points: the phenomenon appears to be real and physical, predominantly involving metallic structured craft at the scale of modern aircraft, which exhibit extreme rates of speed, climb and maneuverability - usually operating silently and without any visible emissions (factors which, together, were “outside of our domestic knowledge” – and remain so in the public scientific literature today), and which perform evasive controlled maneuvers when contacted visually and with radar.

Of course there are other classes of interesting sightings reports, but these parameters reflect the most common variety so let’s focus on this category.

Academic science can only offer theoretical explanations for the performance of these craft. That’s actually progress, because at the time we didn’t even have a theoretical explanation to consider. But the fact that today’s public scientific knowledge is still incapable of beginning a design program for such a device is highly suggestive: either the military remains well over 60 years ahead of the public sector, or these devices are not of contemporary human origin.

And in the intervening six decades, the science of astronomy has progressed enormously. In 1947 there was no understanding of the prevalence of Earth-like planets in the universe. That has changed dramatically. We now know from direct observation and analysis that at least 40 billion trillion Earth-like planets exist within the habitable zones of their parent stars throughout the observable universe, and roughly 40 billion (or more) of those are right here in the Milky Way galaxy.

So if only 1 in a million such planets evolve intelligent life, then at least 40,000 planets in our galaxy alone have produced intelligent species. Last year a paper published in the journal Astrobiology estimated that if technological civilizations appear on only one in a trillion candidate Earth-like planets, then technological civilizations have arisen in the observable universe a minimum of 10 billion times so far.

In light of all this, I find it bizarre and perplexing that the extraterrestrial hypothesis is under assault, because the march of scientific progress has never presented a stronger argument in favor of it.

There are other possible explanations, but there are few intelligible alternatives. Let’s list them all, and see if anyone can expand this list later:

1.) The extraterrestrial hypothesis
2.) The secret military technology hypothesis
3.) The subterranean Earth civilization hypothesis
4.) The backwards-time-travelling civilization from Earth’s own future hypothesis
5.) The “interdimensional” hypothesis (whatever that means)
6.) The “something else” non-hypothesis (included only for the sake of completeness)

There are some real logical issues with explanations 2-5, which we can debate if anyone wishes to do so. And it’s perfectly reasonable to favor #6, but we have to be honest that it’s not a hypothesis; it’s an absence of a hypothesis, and is therefore outside the domain of a meaningful discussion.

And that brings me to the closing argument.

I hear a lot of anguish about proving that this phenomenon is real, and about arriving at an explanation for it. That’s a perfectly valid ambition – arriving at proof and a definitive explanation. But we don’t have the proof we need right now. Going over the existing evidence isn’t going to change that. Because the problem isn’t “we don’t have the right solution,” the problem is “we don’t have sufficient hard evidence.” So either one of three things has to happen, if proof is your goal. Either the people who have the evidence, like Gordon Cooper’s footage at Edward’s Air Force Base, release that evidence to the public (which honestly seems extremely improbable). Or some clever and driven investigative team, like the one Chris has assembled, collects new irrefutable scientific evidence. Or the phenomenon makes such a bold public appearance over a populated area in broad daylight that the proof lands in our laps. We only have control over one of those pathways: what Chris is doing – devising and building the apparatus required to collect scientific proof (and frankly I think that Peter Davenport's passive radar concept is also a brilliant approach). And I strongly support that kind of effort: if I had the money I’d finance it myself.

But we’re overlooking something vastly more important than “proving that ufos are real.” We hardly ever discuss the impact on human civilization, if we can replicate the technology we’re witnessing.

Nearly all of the ufo reports describe the same propulsion characteristics – a form of field propulsion principle as-yet-unrealized by human civilization. And our fairly recent theoretical advancements tell us something astounding: if these craft are exhibiting the kind of gravitational field propulsion technology that they appear to be utilizing (and I can make a very compelling argument in favor of this if anyone wants to get into it), then this propulsion principle would permit manned spaceflight across interstellar distances with arbitrarily short transit times. Theoretically, we could travel to nearby stars within months, perhaps weeks, or even days or hours – there’s no upper limit to the rate of acceleration with a dipolar gravitational field propulsion mechanism: the limits are entirely defined by technological considerations and not fundamental theoretical ones. It also appears that this same branch of technology would offer humankind a limitless and inexhaustible source of energy.

In broad terms, the root of all scarcity comes down to energy, and the root of all real freedom comes down to transportation and territory.

So the ufo question is vastly more significant than simply proving that they’re real. I would go so far as to suggest that the aerial demonstrations performed by these craft may be a kind of IQ test for our species, far more elegant and efficient than the cryptological radio signal challenge posed in the film Contact, and one which offers us an incalculable benefit if we can successfully understand and replicate their propulsion technology. In fact it may ultimately determine the survival of our species - because sooner or later any planet-bound civilization is doomed to extinction. In any case the ufo question holds the keys to transforming the very nature of human civilization and the potential for human life itself. If we can understand how these devices operate, we can rapidly metamorphose human life from the fairly dreary and banal world-bound struggle for subsistence, to a sprawling and inspiring new era of exploration, expansion, and a realization of human potential largely unimaginable within the context of our present day society. This all sounds like hyperbole but it’s not – I’ll be glad to debate this point with anyone open to a rational discussion about it.

Now if you look back at the steps of the scientific method, you’ll notice that we’re stuck at Step 4: conducting an experiment.

If we can devise a successful experiment to reproduce the defining characteristics of the ufo propulsion principle, even to a very modest degree, then we’ll accomplish two things simultaneously:

1.) We’ll prove that it can be done, and therefore practical manned interstellar spaceflight is technologically achievable. This is the last fundamental objection to the extraterrestrial hypothesis, now that we know the overwhelming prevalence of inhabitable worlds. Skeptics argue that superluminal travel is impossible, and therefore alien visitation is impossible or essentially impractical. Therefore, they conclude, it’s not happening. A successful field propulsion experiment would destroy that final key objection. And if we can do it, then “they” can do it. At that point, public opinion would link the high prevalence of life-friendly planets in our galaxy and the cosmos, with the technological capability to traverse interstellar distances in very short time frames, and suddenly we’d all have to accept that alien visitations are highly likely, if not fairly common.

2.) The surprisingly sudden transformation of human civilization from a fairly tedious Earth-bound existence, to a freely roaming and rapidly expanding interstellar civilization.

And that’s why I focus on the physics of the ufo phenomenon with the hope that a viable theoretical proposal will emerge and yield a successful proof-of-principle replication of the ufo field propulsion mechanism.

I welcome any constructive debate about any of this.

Last edited:
Excellent post, Thomas. I have some comments on why "The ETH" is no longer cool, and related psycho-political BS within ufoology, but I don't want to do a half-assed job so I'll wait till I have time to do it right. I'm not voting. I don't think we generally comprehend our universe or even who or what we are well enough to make sense of the various phenomena that puzzle us and make us behave in irrational ways. Being a human living on Earth might actually be more fun that way though.

Excellent post, Thomas. I have some comments on why "The ETH" is no longer cool, and related psycho-political BS within ufoology, but I don't want to do a half-assed job so I'll wait till I have time to do it right. I'm not voting. I don't think we generally comprehend our universe or even who or what we are well enough to make sense of the various phenomena that puzzle us and make us behave in irrational ways. Being a human living on Earth might actually be more fun that way though.
I look forward to reading that, Double Nought Spy. I hope you'll have the time and inspiration to set it down in writing in the weeks ahead. I appreciate the humility of that position. That’s often on my mind as I listen to the more confounding paranormal reports.

Listening to the recent Greg Bishop interview tonight (I’ve fallen a bit behind recently) I find myself thinking “we’re going to be very confused about this subject if we try to find *one explanation* for this stuff.” There’s no doubt in my mind whatsoever that ufology entails a wide variety of different phenomena. The category “unexplained things in the sky” encompasses such a vast spectrum of possibilities – many of which are very likely far beyond any inkling of our understanding.

It’s kind of funny to say this, but I think that “extraterrestrial craft” is one of the most mundane occurrences in this wide spectrum of phenomena – which frequently seems applicable when reports involve some kind of metallic object that shows up on radar, and shines light onto the ground, and performs maneuvers far beyond our present human capability. Some of these may be secret military craft, though – it’s hard to rule that out entirely.

But there’s no doubt that this is a big, weird universe, and we’re just getting acquainted with it. Some sightings may involve incomprehensible possibilities – perhaps some outlandishly advanced intelligence halfway across the universe has devised a method of projecting its consciousness as a kind of thought-energy construct capable of appearing in any shape, anyplace, and moving with an apparent disregard for all of the known laws of physics. Sometimes I think of this as the “Solaris visitation hypothesis." Perhaps there are entities that can read our subconscious thoughts from countless light-years away and appear to us, from within our own minds, in whatever form it feels will have the desired impact on us, motivated by reasons far beyond our understanding. Maybe there are nonphysical entities which exist solely in the realm of the mind - perhaps they evolve within the field of our collective consciousness, feeding off of the human mind, symbiotic with us but somehow autonomous as well. I think it’s likely that some people have experienced things so exotic that we don’t even have the language to begin to describe them. I think it’s sensible to welcome all of these possibilities under the umbrella of “ufology,” always bearing in mind that the right answer is closer to “all of the above, plus some,” than "it's this one thing."

However, we have to start somewhere. So I like to focus on the most common and comparatively mundane reports of solid aerial craft that defy gravity and execute astounding hairpin maneuvers at lightning speeds. Those babies strike me as alien devices of some kind. And if we can figure out what makes them go, then we’ll finally be in a position to get out there and discover even more amazing insights into the even more exotic types of phenomena populating this apparently infinite and unfathomably mysterious old cosmos.

Last edited:
So I like to focus on the most common and comparatively mundane reports of solid aerial craft that defy gravity and execute astounding hairpin maneuvers at lightning speeds. Those babies strike me as alien devices of some kind.

Thomas, do you have a book / collection of reports, that focus on these kinds of events?

IMHO, if one wants to separate out the yolk from the white, and focus on the yolk, then that's fine. I would just like to see such a collection that is well-investigated and vetted and that convincingly impresses people of actual ETH. To be honest, that's really the only reason I started looking around this forum, and Kevin Randle's forum, beginning around 2011. Prior to that, the last book on UFO's I'd read was Vallee's Messengers of Deception, and that was when it came out in 1979 or '80. At this stage, books like Passport to Magonia contain plenty of contact events, but from what I've read, none are able to compel me to acceptance of the ETH. For example, what about the non-interstellar airship reports of the late 19th century? I would like to see someone compile their most convincing cases for ETH, or be pointed to a book that does, if one exists.

BTW, Thomas, sorry to bring up a different subject, but did you ever find out anything further on that vertical green cable-like object ascending into the sky from the swimming pool?

Thomas, do you have a book / collection of reports, that focus on these kinds of events?

IMHO, if one wants to separate out the yolk from the white, and focus on the yolk, then that's fine. I would just like to see such a collection that is well-investigated and vetted and that convincingly impresses people of actual ETH. To be honest, that's really the only reason I started looking around this forum, and Kevin Randle's forum, beginning around 2011. Prior to that, the last book on UFO's I'd read was Vallee's Messengers of Deception, and that was when it came out in 1979 or '80. At this stage, books like Passport to Magonia contain plenty of contact events, but from what I've read, none are able to compel me to acceptance of the ETH. For example, what about the non-interstellar airship reports of the late 19th century? I would like to see someone compile their most convincing cases for ETH, or be pointed to a book that does, if one exists.
My favorite book on this subject is the posthumously published 1995 book “Unconventional Flying Objects: A Scientific Analysis” by Paul Hill, a NASA research scientist and aerodynamics expert who worked secretly throughout his life on the collection and analysis of credible ufo reports. One of the categories in his book is the “dirigible” class of object, which could easily have been mistaken for a lighter-than-air craft by 19th-century observers. Btw, if anyone knows of a comparably excellent book on the physics of the ufo phenomenon, please let us know, I’d love to read it.

I’ve never personally compiled a list of credible and technically compelling accounts, but if I do, I’ll post it in the forums here so the serious ufology experts can share their views and help refine the list of cases. After my sighting as a seven-year-old child, I immediately started reading everything I could get my hands on about this subject at the rather excellent local library in my county. After about ten years of that, I reached the conclusion that my experience, and those of many others, conformed perfectly to the expected propulsion properties of an artificially produced asymmetrical gravitational field, which remained beyond the theoretical physics of that time (the mid-80s). At that point I switched gears and began researching the physics literature for pathways to a method of gravitational field propulsion. That's been my focus ever since, for about 30 years now, so I think there are a lot of people on this board who can offer better insight into the specific ufology cases that provide strong technical indicators of the performance and physicality of the most common kinds of reports.

DROBNJAK is digging deep into technical cases and physical characteristics of ufos right now – he can probably hook you up with some good resources. I’m still delving into the theoretical physics literature to find a way forward, whereas he’s digging into the ufo cases to try to work backward, so he’ll have more to offer from the ufology side than I do.

BTW, Thomas, sorry to bring up a different subject, but did you ever find out anything further on that vertical green cable-like object ascending into the sky from the swimming pool?
I’d call it more of a “diffuse cord of green light,” because “cable” makes it sound like a solid object. I read a couple of Dr. Friedemann Freund’s excellent papers, and some articles about his current research, before writing to him about my experience and asking for any thoughts that he may have about it. My working hypothesis after reading about his work on tectonic electrical currents and earthquake lights, is that geological stresses may have produced a transient magnetic anomaly under Burbank that night, yielding a flux linkage with the Earth’s magnetosphere that allowed charged particles to travel all the way down to the Earth, ionizing the atmosphere along the way to produce that strange diffuse fluorescent green glow – similar to, but distinct from, the aurora borealis effect. If I hear back from him I’ll post a follow-up in that thread. I’m hoping that he’s heard of another account like mine. Thank you for recommending him – he really does seem like the ideal person to ask about it. And his research is fascinating – I think it may yield an entirely new technology. It certainly appears to me that we might be able to harness a great deal of electrical energy directly from tectonic activity in active areas: an entirely new form of “green energy.”

Last edited:

I've just updated a thread that maintains a list of technical papers on UFOs. "Zero Hype" as they say, but a fairly heavy read. I've just added 6 or 7 seminal works by various Phd's and Dr's.

List of Technical Papers Related to UFOs and Electro Magnetism

Yeah, I think working backward is very important, just in case if ETs know physics better than we do. But, as well, I am hitting more and more dead ends, because even our knowledge offers multiple solutions for the observed phenomena. It seems that what can be explained by GR can be explained with EM and vice versa.

We should remember that we are not the first to step into a more scientifically biased study of UFOs. Since late 50's and early 60's a whole generation of engineers and scientist wrote many serious papers about technical aspects of UFOs. There is no need to reinvent hot water, when one can stand on shoulders of giants, so to say.

Another benefit from scientific UFO research is that we can neutralize influence of politics on ufology. If we can produce evidence and solid scientific models, than governments and all the disparate factions of ufology have no ground to hold on. I was always baffled why Stanford Freedman, who's nuclear scientist, bothered to do research in national archives, instead collecting samples and trying to do EM measurements, etc. In comparison with scientific proof, government document is little more than tittle-tattle.

Lets remind ourselves that the first comprehensive government UFO study, project Blue Book, found 21% of "unexplained" cases, where generally accepted marginal limit in science is 5%. So unexplained UFO's are 4 times above the marginal limit, meaning they are leaning strongly towards "real".

Total%20of%203201%20UFO%20Sightings_zpskvfllvze.jpg

Even 40-50 years ago there was an effort, mostly by defense contractors, to define a 'standard saucer'. 'Standard Saucer' would be a craft with physical characteristics extracted from averaged out witness testimonies. One such study was done by military and civil aircraft manufacturer, McDonald Douglas Corp, where coincidentally Paul Hill was chief aerodynamics. Here it is:

ufo.paper.phys.McDonald Douglas-Inc - Advanced Vehicle Concepts Research 1968.pdf

But, as more time had passed, many more of new physical effects can be connected with these craft. Its not just high acceleration and breath-taking high G-turns.We now know much more about UFO side effects, like: low frequency pulsating magnetic fields, magnetic cooling, magnetic standing waves, monochromatic laser-like fanned V-shaped ionization beams, enveloping crafts into plasma, concave and convex water bulging, water "boiling", rising water columns, use of photonic radars, estimated UFO power requirements, counter-rotating craft sections, frequent leaking of liquid metals, mammalian muscle paralysis and physiological effects on humans like EM induced euphoria, 1-3 days of strong headaches, skin burns, radiation poisoning symptoms etc.

Actually, a low tech comparison of UFO-tech and our-tech is quite raveling. Not less than 80% of UFO testimonies actually describe pulsating monochromatic beams, that change in a red, green, blue, yellow sequence. These beams most often come from sources around the craft's circumference and they almost always point out horizontally. I haven't seen a single case where such beam pointed along central axis of the craft. These colors actually match with spectral lines of oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen.

Just by looking at a summary of the statistically significant observed EM effects around UFOs we can say that most UFO's are flying Tesla coils. Or at least, one aspect of them.

Now a typical UFO speed clocked on radars is about 3,500 miles/hour. What UFOs do with these laser-like beams, is extremely easy to explain. They are stripping electrons from atmospheric gasses, till they become positive ions. Than UFO's hull that is positively charged, pushes these ions away and UFOs get less of a problem with air friction. This is corroborated with stalling of petrol engines, because, according to James McCampbell plasma around UFO makes air more conductive, so sparks jump from the alternator to the metal chassis. And most likely corroborated by rings burnt out in the grass, because that plasma is naturally hot and would burn vegetation and dehydrate soil.

Lets remember that when UFOs leave encounters with witnesses, they don't ascend edge on. They always ascent flat face on. Which aerodynamically the worst solution. American applied plasma physicist, Mirabo, after talking with Ray Stamford, tested in hyper-sonic air tunnel 'squirting' plasma along the central axis of the disc, like UFOs are observed doing. In Mirabo's experiments those plasma squirts reduced friction by 40%. The same effect can be achieved whit strong lasers, beamed ahead of the craft as it is climbing up.

Another piece of equipment UFOs use, are photonic radars. These are the next generation of radars and they work very close to visible light. They are already in experimental stage. But UFOs use such beams to typically search vehicles before they approach them. Our military specification for these photonic radars states that they will be able to scan a pilot's face from 50 miles away and look it up in the database.

Last edited:
So if only 1 in a million such planets evolve intelligent life, then at least 40,000 planets in our galaxy alone have produced intelligent species. Last year a paper published in the journal Astrobiology estimated that if technological civilizations appear on only one in a trillion candidate Earth-like planets, then technological civilizations have arisen in the observable universe a minimum of 10 billion times so far.

This is seminal. About 10-20 years ago, that estimate hovered around 20,000 civilizations on the level of our Stone Age and above, just in a Milky Way.

We should not forget that there are planets that can offer even better conditions for life than Earth. Like, for example, planets with submerged oceans, like some of Saturn moons. Planets like these can be completely energy self-sufficient, even not needing a parent star.

As well, red dwarf stars can offer much longer protection for life, than Sun like stars. Sun phase of of a star only lasts about 50% of the red dwarf phase. And both can support the life.

My favorite book on this subject is the posthumously published 1995 book “Unconventional Flying Objects: A Scientific Analysis” by Paul Hill, a NASA research scientist

DROBNJAK is digging deep into technical cases and physical characteristics of ufos right now

I've just updated a thread that maintains a list of technical papers on UFOs. "Zero Hype" as they say, but a fairly heavy read. I've just added 6 or 7 seminal works by various Phd's and Dr's.

Thank you Thomas and DROBNJAK for your responses. Very much appreciated.

“diffuse cord of green light,”

When I originally read your account about it, I started thinking about what would have happened if you had been standing in the pool exactly where the phenonenon occurred. Maybe all kinds of people are influenced by direct hits from such phenomena without realizing it. Probably would have been very hard to see in daylight. Seems to me such contact might have been far more impressive than Persinger's helmet . . . if you lived :eek: . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back