• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFO blind spot

Azz7092

Paranormal Maven
Hey guys just a quick question so I out this out to everyone , this whole "what color is the dress " story not sure if everyone is clued up on it , got me thinking about UFOs and how some people see the UFOs and some people don't and some see triangles and some see wheels or sheilds or saucers it seems to me that everyone has different perceptions of what things actually look like especially at a distance away just thought id see what some of you guys make of it ???

That's a very interesting part of the phenomenon and it gets batted about in these three threads:

The UFO Stimulus | The Paracast Community Forums

January 18, 2015 — Greg Bishop | Page 10 | The Paracast Community Forums

February 1, 2015 — Burnt State | Page 5 | The Paracast Community Forums

It seems that when it comes to shared UFO experiences, the law, "to each their own" does apply. And what I see vs. what you see standing beside me is going to be highly influenced by who we are, our prior experiences, our neurochemistry and how our brain decides to interpret the UFO stimulus at that moment.

Last edited:
Tossing my 2 pennies worth in as usual: There is historically an intimately personal aspect of this phenomenon that precludes it from obeying traditional rules of evidence. There would seem to be no way to observe the phenomenon without becoming intertwined with it. Or often without it becoming a part of the observer's overall life experience. And the more profound and close-up the encounter--the greater seems to be effects on the witnesses mind and life.

The John Burroughs Nick Pope interview here is a most excellent example.

The same can be said about such mundane things as accidents when multiple "witnesses" are involved.
And that's why seeing may be about believing but that doesn't mean anyone can objectively say, "I know what I saw," yet our society turns on the notion of witness statements. It's a wonder anything happens at all the way it does in this world.
fovea.gif

And that's why seeing may be about believing but that doesn't mean anyone can objectively say, "I know what I saw," yet our society turns on the notion of witness statements. It's a wonder anything happens at all the way it does in this world.
Shocking! Had no idea we're soooo limited. I've heard of some limited number of people with better than 20/20 vision. I wonder if there are people with more high-rez receptors over a broader area of the eye's surface to see more off-center than what other people can see too?

There should be significant research about this, as this might explain a lot about how the military and "spooky stuff" can cloak. Think how big the sky is, and we have to target an object about the size of the moon to see it clearly.

Does the resolution drop progressively from that moon center out to "what angle" of vision coverage? What does the "resolution curve" look like?

Shocking! Had no idea we're soooo limited. I've heard of some limited number of people with better than 20/20 vision. I wonder if there are people with more high-rez receptors over a broader area of the eye's surface to see more off-center than what other people can see too?
Evolution and survival skills demand different receptors in the gene pool e.g. the ability to see many shades of green in the field to recognize prey etc.. It's no wonder that something as linguistically complicated as color will mess with our perceptual boundaries and produce different responses to the photo of the dress:
536676_1280x720.jpg

What I really enjoyed was talking with people who saw blue and then said to them, "But you don't see white and gold?"and then they would suddenly see different colors - priceless. Let's face it, reality, or at least the reporting of it, is entirely malleable.

If the intelligence behind the UFO phenomenon sees magic as a relevant mode of communication then we're in serious trouble and will just be made fun of for many 100's of years to come.
Does the resolution drop progressively from that moon center out to "what angle" of vision coverage? What does the "resolution curve" look like?
The way it goes down is that 90% of what you see is a pre-recorded image playback from your brain, so as you travel familiar byways and highways your brain is just filling in the background wth previousy laid down conceptual video tracks as your camera head tilts and swivels, with only what the fovea centralis concentrates on bringing a direct, live image of 10% of reality to the perceptual network.

Looking is also more akin to film with a frames per second unfolding of a series of still images that are being experienced as the illusion of motion - sophisticated seamless processing systems that we are. In some cases of tumours on the optic nerve on in certain parts of the brain reality may be experienced in slow motion or perhaps hyperspeed. The algorithms of our brain do process at a finite speed so consider what else may be getting missed by us when we encounter a life form, or a stimulus that is traveling at a rate of speed that perhaps we can't quite make out. Do we substitute something from the library of socialized memory and say things like, "It was triangular shaped," and in another era, "It was saucer shaped," or similarly, "I know what I saw and it was definitely an airship!" Such is the nature of sight & the history of UFO witness testimony. That doesn't mean you can negate the history of what was witnessed, but it helps to explain a few discrepancies and oddities.

It has changed for me, first time blue black (Sunday) when I revisited this thread (yesterday)it was decidedly white gold and today blue black again

More input, having looked at the image a second time later now at work it looks white and gold.

Just noticed the two times I saw it as white and gold was at work where we have florescent lighting while at home I have the typical incandescent bulb ( but are low wattage and somewhat dim ) and percieve the image as black and blue..yes I still have some if those and will continue to do so as long as i can find them.

The way it goes down is that 90% of what you see is a pre-recorded image playback from your brain, so as you travel familiar byways and highways your brain is just filling in the background wth previousy laid down conceptual video tracks as your camera head tilts and swivels, with only what the fovea centralis concentrates on bringing a direct, live image of 10% of reality to the perceptual network.

We are not limited to what we see. What we see and otherwise perceive becomes what we think about. We are not merely "processing systems" limited individually to tracking visual appearances of phenomena encountered in the world around us. We also measure what we encounter in ways that test the objective reality existing behind phenomenal appearances, and we multiply our perspectives (personally and collectively), mutually confirming the extent of that which remains constant in persistent phenomena, and we reason about the data together.

We are not limited to what we see. What we see and otherwise perceive becomes what we think about. We are not merely "processing systems" limited individually to tracking visual appearances of phenomena encountered in the world around us. We also measure what we encounter in ways that test the objective reality existing behind phenomenal appearances, and we multiply our perspectives (personally and collectively), mutually confirming the extent of that which remains constant in persistent phenomena, and we reason about the data together.
i was not limiting us in any way, after all, we are immaculate thinking miracles made of flesh and bone. i was merely describing how our imaging system works, which is definitely interwoven with the very fabric of the thinking identity who is doing the perceiving. As perceivers socialized in a particular time and place, what and how we see are tied to whatever degree we choose to accept, reject or redefine our training. yes, and then we categorize and process it through many other ways of knowing. And so far that hasn't really got us too far outside of Vallée's summation of the science and sociology of what they are. (When we get together in various groups to process them things seem to go south quickly i.e. Heaven's Gate, UFO conventions, UFO's & ancient aliens on television shows, the fact that Greer, Meier & Romanek have fans)

As biological & sociological perceivers, the very act of looking changes what it is we are looking at. I remain confused about the whole thing, to be honest. But they are certainly more exciting than seeing hummingbirds pause in mid air right in front of your suddenly startled eyes on a soft summer evening, but i'll settle for hummingbirds when I can get them.

Back