• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Time Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion on Earth

The global overview is chilling. Frames taken by high speed cameras of the birth and evolution of these monsters, I find horrifying at yet another level. The glowing spikes trailing downward in the first frames (or whatever) are apparently electromagnetic energy following guy wires on the tower, used to support the bomb, to ground. Technical mindset to the contrary, it's hard not to see these devices as something living and evil.

sobering is it not?
That is the word for it. I posted it here to commemorate Canada's foremost anti-nuclear activist, Irene Kock. She was my former neighbour's sister. If You Love This Planet was the movie that started her on a life long environmental activist pursuit. This link commemorates her late partner Dave Martin who continued on her work after she died on New Year's Eve, 2001.

http://www.ccnr.org/Dave_Martin.pdf

Her death came the winter after my Dad's death the previous summer. These two deaths forged quite a bond between her brother and I as we mourned our respective losses. I bought a 16mm print of that movie to watch with Henry, her brother, my neighbour, my mentor and dear friend. He was one of Canada's premier environmentalists. Not to be outdne by his sister, he died one Christmas morning eight years ago.

Whenever I think about nuclear bombs I get this chain of dead people I once knew linking through my head as it connects its way back to those in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nothing left but shadows on the wall. That's all I see.

Back