• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Myth of the War of the Worlds Panic [1937]

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[As an aside, I asked my mother about this event and how she remembered the WofTW broadcast and she remembered that people were excited about it during the broadcast, but quickly realized it was fiction. I recommend reading the full article. Need I mention that the media today, still has tremendous power to manipulate history and spin current events —chris]

ARTICLE HERE
By Jefferson Pooley
Wednesday marks the 75th anniversary of Orson Welles’ electrifying War of the Worlds broadcast, in which the Mercury Theatre on the Air enacted a Martian invasion of Earth. “Upwards of a million people, [were] convinced, if only briefly, that the United States was being laid waste by alien invaders,” narrator Oliver Platt informs us in the new PBS documentary commemorating the program. The panic inspired by Welles made War of the Worlds perhaps the most notorious event in American broadcast history.

That’s the story you already know—it’s the narrative widely reprinted in academic textbooks and popular histories. With actors dramatizing the reaction of frightened audience members (based on contemporaneous letters), the new documentary, part of PBS’s American Experience series, reinforces the notion that naïve Americans were terrorized by their radios back in 1938. So did this weekend’s episode of NPR’s Radiolab, which opened with the assertion that on Oct. 30, 1938, “The United States experienced a kind of mass hysteria that we’ve never seen before.”

There’s only one problem: The supposed panic was so tiny as to be practically immeasurable on the night of the broadcast. Despite repeated assertions to the contrary in the PBS and NPR programs, almost nobody was fooled by Welles’ broadcast.

How did the story of panicked listeners begin? Blame America’s newspapers....
REST OF ARTICLE HERE (Highly Recommended!)

So, i've been perpetuating a lie :( the thing is while I don't dispute the article's points, I instinctively "knew"...for lack of a better word....that the retelling of the event would be bound to exaggerate events as this is pretty much the norm in many "historical" events given the passages of time. The thing is I always felt that given the current situation, it could have very well been true that the country was in a position to be antsy. I'd be surprised if they weren't. I've always been more fascinated by the assertion of the radiolab program, the link which I posted elsewhere, that this event was reproduced 2 more times in our era...buffalo and Ecuador if I recall...when people should know better and there was no extenuating circumstances to merit ANY kind of panic

I now want to go back for myself and read any reporting on the event. I am certainly aware of the headlines but I don't think it's as if the stories themselves would be particularly misleading and telling of mass looting or inserrecution, simply because I have never heard anyone either quoting or attacking these stories in later years. There was a tv movie a few decades back " the night that panicked America" that I thought was more distorting than the papers of the time.

Regardless, tonight I will be listening to the original wotw broadcast, "CHIp"s librivox recording of "the legend of sleepy hollow" and yes, the radiolab doc. Oh well happy Halloween one and all and remember please for the next day or so the terrible lesson you learned above. That grinning, glowing, globular invader of your living room is an inhabitant of the pumpkin patch, and if your doorbell rings and nobody's there, that was no Martian, it's Halloween. The coolest eve on the planet.

Last edited:
Speaking of myths, I want to dispel another myth. as a kid that celebrated all hallows eve in all its glory in a rural part of the country I can testify that graveyards are not the scariest place on that night, cornfields, with their dry, desiccated, rustling corn stalks and husks are MUCH scarier.

In my fire warden training i was taught in an emergency, 5 percent of people will stay calm. 5 percent will panic. and 90 percent will do whatever the person next to them is doing......

Thus if the lift full of people grinds to a shuddering halt 50 floors above ground and you start screaming....... so will just about everybody else.

Im sure WOTW had a similar dynamic,a small proportion of those susceptable to panic would have done so, possibly even infecting those near them.

newly discovered version of the broadcast . . .

and this from Bruce Carlson "My history can beat your politics" podcast

Bruce CarlsonMixed on this one. My guess is a lot of people listening were scared,and calls were made, triggering the newspaper reports, but perhaps not millions and perhaps not mass hysteria. It's very hard for history to pick up those real feelings esp. a private event like listening to the radio at home. Slate has the benefit of hindsight in looking at actual stats, but the blindness of being limited to information that was captured at the time pre TV - newspaper accounts, police stats. If one had a million diaries to look at say, it might reveal something else.

As someone who loves a lot of Welles, when teaching a media class we would always listen to the original radio broadcast where we are reminded repeatedly that it is just a radio program and not to freak out while listening at home. Of course the last chapter is a monologue by Welles set in an apocalyptic future, which would be the give away that it's fiction.

I would also show the movie fictionalization of the making of The War of the Worlds and it's grim effects on the populous: The Night That Panicked America - fascinating to watch live radio, and an excellent movie.

Mass hysteria is easy enough to come by. I remember racing home on the highway to my family on Sept. 11 after watching the second plane crash live on t.v. that morning, its aftermath, and then hearing reports on the radio of all plane traffic being redirected to our Canadian airports. It was one of the few times in my life that I felt like I was on the edge of something big totally beyond my control. Worry was creeping down my spine that day. I remember how close it started to taste like fear.

David Acord on BoA:Audio - Binnall of America

Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the legendary ‘War of the Worlds’ radio broadcast of 10/30/1938, BoA:Audio welcomes author David Acord for a discussion on his new book,When Mars Attacked, which details the infamous Orson Welles program that set off a panic throughout America.

Over the course of the conversation, we discuss Welles’ remarkable childhood, early life, and rise to fame as well as the explosion of radio as the hot form of media in the 1930′s. We also find out about all the various elements which came together to make the War of the Worlds panic happen and David separates the facts from the fiction as to what actually happened on 10/30/1938 and what the intent behind it was. Additionally, we examine conspiracy theories surrounding the broadcast as well as connections between War of the Worlds and the UFO phenomenon.

Has anyone seen any other versions of War of the Worlds besides the 1953 and Tom Cruise versions? And if so, what did you think of it/them?

I confess I watched the 2005 D.M. Latt version and it was so bad I had to watch my old VHS copy of The Day of the Triffids right afterwards just to get my sci fi viewing brain clean again.

DAY+OF+THE+TRIFFIDS+CUSHING+B5.jpg

Even so, Welles' genius and our need of legend will most likely triumph over fact in the long run. Reality is just too damned boring to compete.

I confess I watched the 2005 D.M. Latt version and it was so bad I had to watch my old VHS copy of The Day of the Triffids right afterwards just to get my sci fi viewing brain clean again.

DAY+OF+THE+TRIFFIDS+CUSHING+B5.jpg

Love me some Triffids! - stewed, preferably . . . ;-)

I understand the BBC version of the Day of the Triffids (in the 80s, I think) was also good.

We watched the 1953 War of the Worlds and are now watching the Tom Cruise version . . . I think both are good. Impressed as always with the special effects of the 1953 version and the intensity, I think it holds up. The horn sound in the Tom Crui- I mean Steven Playmountain version is chilling - it's not so much so on my very old television, but it recalls the Dolby surround experience in the theater - I wondered if it was to signal the other tripods when humans were found or simply to evoke panic? Or maybe it was the equivalent of an ay-oooogah or General Lee sound for the Martians?

farside.jpg

David Acord on BoA:Audio - Binnall of America

Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the legendary ‘War of the Worlds’ radio broadcast of 10/30/1938, BoA:Audio welcomes author David Acord for a discussion on his new book,When Mars Attacked, which details the infamous Orson Welles program that set off a panic throughout America.

Over the course of the conversation, we discuss Welles’ remarkable childhood, early life, and rise to fame as well as the explosion of radio as the hot form of media in the 1930′s. We also find out about all the various elements which came together to make the War of the Worlds panic happen and David separates the facts from the fiction as to what actually happened on 10/30/1938 and what the intent behind it was. Additionally, we examine conspiracy theories surrounding the broadcast as well as connections between War of the Worlds and the UFO phenomenon.

Just now listening to this - but it's off to a good start, Acord talks about going to the national archives and handling the original letters of complaint about the broadcast - also fascinating biographical material about the trickster-like Welles . . .

I have a pathological fetish for the old B/W sci-fi flicks of the 1950's era. The bizarre doings in Ozzie and Harriet Land followed by screaming revelation that they-are-here. Or insects grown gigantic from atomic testing in the desert. The genre is so utterly bad that it's good. The movie "Them" is golden.

What's funny is that stuff made before about the late forties and after the late 50's don't work as a fix for my habit. And I've pretty much seen the stuff from that era. Maybe this is the result of something that took root during my formative years and stuck ?

I have a pathological fetish for the old B/W sci-fi flicks of the 1950's era. The bizarre doings in Ozzie and Harriet Land followed by screaming revelation that they-are-here. Or insects grown gigantic from atomic testing in the desert. The genre is so utterly bad that it's good. The movie "Them" is golden.

What's funny is that stuff made before about the late forties and after the late 50's don't work as a fix for my habit. And I've pretty much seen the stuff from that era. Maybe this is the result of something that took root during my formative years and stuck ?

Love me some Them! . . . How about Monolith Monsters? What examples from before the late 40s and after the late 50s don't work for you?

I also love the giant insect movie genre, especially Them! It's shot well, with half decent acting all around and a fairly fluid plot. That whole era of sci-fi cinema is excellent in design and optimism compared to the dystopic cinema that was to follow.
them.jpg

If I had to pick a time period of movies to take with me to the desert island, for some reason it's the 7o's dystopia that i turn to, Chuck Heston yelling out, "Soylent green is people!" and all that. Those were the movies I grew up with. But when I think about ant movies, my absolute favourite is genius titlest Saul Bass' only full feature directed flick, Phase IV. It's psychedelic, intellectual and often hilarious in its attempt to introduce and explain the new computers with simplistic 'computer jargon.' The original ending was recently found but I doubt it will make it to DVD or Blu Ray in its original incarnation that the studio deemed to be too dislocating for audiences to watch:

I also love the giant insect movie genre, especially Them! It's shot well, with half decent acting all around and a fairly fluid plot. That whole era of sci-fi cinema is excellent in design and optimism compared to the dystopic cinema that was to follow.
them.jpg

If I had to pick a time period of movies to take with me to the desert island, for some reason it's the 7o's dystopia that i turn to, Chuck Heston yelling out, "Soylent green is people!" and all that. Those were the movies I grew up with. But when I think about ant movies, my absolute favourite is genius titlest Saul Bass' only full feature directed flick, Phase IV. It's psychedelic, intellectual and often hilarious in its attempt to introduce and explain the new computers with simplistic 'computer jargon.' The original ending was recently found but I doubt it will make it to DVD or Blu Ray in its original incarnation that the studio deemed to be too dislocating for audiences to watch:

Oh wow -thanks for that, I have been wanting to see Phase IV, I'll bookmark that ending and try to find the film (maybe it's on YouTube) and then see this ending . . . good stuff! Thank you.

Love me some Them! . . . How about Monolith Monsters? What examples from before the late 40s and after the late 50s don't work for you?

Hmm...My memory isn't good enough to cite examples offhand. But 50's stuff just seemed to have a certain unique quality. The old Twilight Zone series also captured some of that same magic, I think.

Seems like I may have seen Monolith Monsters and it was great. Need to re-check my Netflix account.

them.jpg

Yeah-- I thought "Them" was actually a notch up in quality of production. Almost not bad enough to be good, ;) but fantastic overall ! :cool:

Back