• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The "Music" of Earth's Magnetosphere

And yes, I am a total geek.

This is still pretty cool. Sounds like birds chirping.

You can read more about this phenomena here:
Sounds of Space: "Chorus" radio waves within Earth's magnetosphere - Captain Cynic Science Forum

Excellent!!!! Love this!

Here's to Geeks of the world ...without which we'd have no electronics, no telescopes, and no iphones, no Rubiks cubes, no video games....and wouldn't be talking to each other from around the world! Salute!

This is the sound of the Earth communicating with the other planets. Here, let me run it through the Crays in the basement. There, coming through now, the message is, "Hey guys, how do I get rid of this rash?"

Bingo. I've sometimes felt that man is like a kind of herpes which is now spreading through space. I can't help but picture rockets wearing condoms when they do deep space penetration. (Such is the nature of my brain.)

Bingo. I've sometimes felt that man is like a kind of herpes which is now spreading through space. I can't help but picture rockets wearing condoms when they do deep space penetration. (Such is the nature of my brain.)

I imagine the other planets wearing surgical masks and telling the Earth to stop spraying her germs all over the solar system. "Look!", says Mars. "Now your bald apes are littering up my landscape and they aren't even here yet!" Like riders on a Japanese train, I'm sure they are all giving their sneezing fellow traveler the evil eye.

I have read somewhere that mankinds eventual expansion into space will be similar to a viral infection spreading, as far as the specific paths and use of raw materials are anyway.
My brain locks up on the starship condoms. I keep seeing the good old USS Enterprise ......well, you get the point.

Back