• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The High Strangeness Aspect of the Airship Mystery

T

TheBitterOne

There is an undeniable 'high strangeness' aspect to some of the 1896/97 Mystery Airship sightings.

A few examples:
  • The November 19, 1896, edition of the Stockton, California, Daily Mail featured one of the earliest accounts of an alleged alien craft sighting. Colonel H.G. Shaw claimed that while driving his buggy through the countryside near Stockton, he came across what appeared to be a landed spacecraft.Shaw described it as having a metallic surface which was completely featureless apart from a rudder, and pointed ends. He estimated a diameter of 25 feet and said the vessel was around 150 feet in total length. Three slender, 7-foot-tall (2.1 m), apparent extraterrestrials were said to approach from the craft while "emitting a strange warbling noise." The beings reportedly examined Shaw's buggy and then tried to physically force him to accompany them back to the airship. The aliens were said to give up after realizing they lacked the physical strength to force Shaw onto the ship. They supposedly fled back to their ship, which lifted off the ground and sped out of sight. Shaw believed that the beings were Martians sent to kidnap an earthling for unknowable but potentially nefarious purposes. This has been seen by some as an early attempt at alien abduction; it is apparently the first published account of explicitly extraterrestrial beings attempting to kidnap humans into their spacecraft.
  • An article in the Albion Weekly News reported that two witnesses saw an airship crash just inches from where they were standing. The airship suddenly disappeared, with a man standing where the vessel had been. The airship pilot showed the men a small device that supposedly enabled him to shrink the airship small enough to store the vessel in his pocket.
  • On April 10, 1897, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published a story reporting that one W.H. Hopkins encountered a grounded airship about 20 feet in length and 8 feet in diameter near the outskirts of Springfield, Missouri. The vehicle was apparently propelled by three large propellers and crewed by a beautiful, nude woman and a bearded man, also nude. Hopkins attempted with some difficulty to communicate with the crew in order to ascertain their origins. Eventually they understood what Hopkins was asking of them and they both pointed to the sky and "uttered something that sounded like the word Mars.
[source: Mystery airship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

If the enigmatic German NYMZA organization did exist and was a terrestrial source of airships, what are we then to make of these cases that suggest a paranormal/extraterrestrial aspect to the phenomenon?

To dismiss all the absurd-sounding, otherworldy details of some sightings just because they don't fit the nuts-and-bolts theory is an act of cherry-picking.

If it could be established at some point in the future that NYMZA or another terrestrial manufacturer was flying airships prior to any high strangeness sightings of similar craft, that would strongly suggest to me that the high strangeness encounters were either being manifested or provoked in some way by the terrestrial ones (a Tulpa Effect of some sort, as one possibility), or that they were very likely all embellishments, fabrications and delusory projections of the human mind onto exotic technology being witnessed for the first time.

Conversely, if high strangeness cases turn out to definitively precede any evidence of NYMZA-like organizations or technology, the implication would be that a paranormal/extraterrestrial agency capable of manifesting these craft and their strange occupants was also influencing later human builders of the more mundane versions (or even masquerading as them).

Learning the truth about this would have profound implications for the 20th century UFO phenomenon too, don't you think?

Maybe I'm stating the obvious with this line of thinking and it's all just an attempt to wrap my own head around the situation, but it's a perspective I don't think gets the attention it deserves, particularly since the key to discovering which came first lies exclusively in the 'nuts-and-bolts' realm of newspaper articles, blueprints and other writings from the 19th century.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried to find these newspaper accounts cited in the Wikipedia article linked, because if they were left out of the source material I would like to know. However, the sources of this Stockton article (and others like it) always seem to be another source citing another source. It would be very useful to see the actual source connect to the newspaper archives, especially an actual copy. I'll have to look this up.

I can say that one of the better sources on this issue is Michael Busby's book and he does cover the issue that some papers indeed made crap up for the fun of it. Admittedly, he didn't include those accounts. The issue I have is when the phrase "apparent extraterrestrial" or something like it comes into play. Don't know what to say about the naked lady but it sounds like a cool planet -- and also like Woody Dernberger's story about Lanulos from Indrid Cold in the 1960s. Maybe that's where Woody got the idea from or maybe it was the same planet! :)

The German issue is identified by Dellschau and, in my opinion based upon my analysis, makes the most sense within the context of the 1890s mysteries. It dates to the 1850s, according to him. My new book on this will be out in late December.

It's like the Roswell issue. There is a lot of valid evidence to support the German tech (whether postwar Nazi or US reverse-engineered) but the ET folks are never going to truly consider nor properly acknowledge it. There are people who simply HATE the idea and respond in disgust when the German thread is mentioned. I promise you, there will be response to my commentary here that will paint this point of view (and me) to be BS and, essentially, that I'm nothing but an a-hole for bringing it up, lol. :D

The bottom line is that the subject of anything UFO is in the realm of religious topics. Most people fall back on faith in their belief in what they want them to be and the discussion goes circular, ends in an argument and goes nowhere. Personally, I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume there are ETs, but I'm convinced at this time that ET only accounts for about 10% of UFO sightings on this planet.

Anyway, I'd like to see the actual Stockton paper (hard copy or digital scan) because it's hard to find. I'll contact whatever the paper is today and see if it's archived somewhere and let you know what I find. Presently, my money's on the German AND American airship groups, per my research. :)

Thanks for replying WB - I thoroughly enjoyed your EOTW trilogy.

My intuitive guess is that NYMZA types channeled non-physical entities who gave them the instructions or the inspiration to build the airships, and once they were in the air, the non-physical entities were then able to exploit their forms to manifest more exotic, otherworldly versions of the craft.

I feel like the same thing has probably happened in the 20th century with nuts and bolts human built saucer technology -- developed under the guidance or inspiration of channeled entities -- creating a dimensional doorway or Trojan Horse that has allowed these same entities to enter into our reality and manifest high strangeness UFO phenomena.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an interesting take, and I do think the breakaways would reasonably have established contact with ET not too far into the 20th Century if they really did accomplish space travel then, but the evidence suggests something more earthly. That's what my next book is about. I'm hoping to have it out by Christmas.

Back