• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Djinn In Iran

Anaximander

Skilled Investigator
Hey Fellas get a load of this!

Some of the Iranian Presidents allies have been accused of using sorcery and invoking the Djinn.

Check it out:

Close allies of Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, have been accused of using supernatural powers to further his policies amid an increasingly bitter power struggle between him and the country's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Several people said to be close to the president and his chief of staff, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, have been arrested in recent days and charged with being "magicians" and invoking djinns (spirits).
Ayandeh, an Iranian news website, described one of the arrested men, Abbas Ghaffari, as "a man with special skills in metaphysics and connections with the unknown worlds".
The arrests come amid a growing rift between Ahmadinejad and Khamenei which has prompted several MPs to call for the president to be impeached.
On Sunday, Ahmadinejad returned to his office after an 11-day walkout in an apparent protest over Khamenei's reinstatement of the intelligence minister, who the president had initiallyasked to resign.
Ahmadinejad's unprecedented disobedience prompted harsh criticism from conservatives who warned that he might face the fate of Abdulhassan Banisadr, Iran's first post-revolution president who was impeached and exiled for allegedly attempting to undermine clerical power.
Ayatollah Mesbah Yazdi, a hardline cleric close to Khamenei, warned that disobeying the supreme leader – who has the ultimate power in Iran – is equivalent to "apostasy from God".

Ahmadinejad allies charged with sorcery | World news | The Guardian

It sure would be nice if one of the better hosts on the air/net managed to get Phil Imbrogno on to comment about this.

I'm "plodding" through the new book Phil and Rosemary Ellen Guilley have out on the Djinn. I gottal tell ya that so far it's been nothing but obscure quotes from the Koran and a few legends from the Arab countryside. But, I have not gotten to Imbrogno's part yet so I still hope that it picks up. Anyway, it would be great to have them back on since this story is currently in the news.

I'm a Pisces and we don't believe in any of that stuff. :)

However, if Barbara Eden is involved then I am so there. One of my earliest crushes. I know I show my age but Wow was I a huge fan. Still am. :)

Barbara_Eden-1.jpg

Close allies of Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, have been accused of using supernatural powers to further his policies amid an increasingly bitter power struggle between him and the country's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Several people said to be close to the president and his chief of staff, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, have been arrested in recent days and charged with being "magicians" and invoking djinns (spirits).
Ayandeh, an Iranian news website, described one of the arrested men, Abbas Ghaffari, as "a man with special skills in metaphysics and connections with the unknown worlds".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/05/ahmadinejad-allies-charged-with-sorcery

Everything I ever learned regarding Djinn I got from watching Wishmaster 1-4.

Now I'm gonna bone up on my witchcraft by watching the Sooty show!

(Anybody outside the UK probably won't get that)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374347944698.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374347944698.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 15
I'm "plodding" through the new book Phil and Rosemary Ellen Guilley have out on the Djinn. I gotta tell ya that so far it's been nothing but obscure quotes from the Koran and a few legends from the Arab countryside.

I recommend getting the book by Amira El-Zein, it has a lot more lore about the Jinn, also she's an academician, a professor, so the book has more rigor than Guilley's.
If you have access to a public university library then login to Jstor and do some academic journal searches. There is a wealth of information on folklore and beliefs about the Djinn world-wide.

Guilley's books are researched, and interesting, but there's a lot more out there by far if you know where to look. Unfortunately most lore on the Djinn is basically locked away in Arabic or Persian language only works, and have yet to be translated.

A certain Dr. Umar Sulaiman al-Ashqar has an interesting book called The World of the Jinn and Devils. Translated by Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo. It isn't great but combined with Rosemary Ellen Guilley's book and Amira El-Zein's (which I can't recommend enough) that's about as good as you are going to get in English language sources, without having to delve into anthropological studies and academic journal articles. (There's a lot of anthropological work on Djinn exorcisms and beliefs everywhere from Black Africa all the way to Malaysia and Java. Thousands of pages worth of reading)

Cheerio !

Back