• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Talk about the book: Reframing the Debate

Red

Paranormal Adept
Anyone else out there want to talk about this particular book?

So far I've gotten through the forward and the essays regarding Capitalism and the Roswell Slides. I do disagree with Banias about capitalism and UFOs. I suspect that capitalism will allow ufology to exist as long as it proves a distraction and takes focus away from the worst excesses of our economic system (opiate of the masses).
Rutkowski's take on ufology as a religion (or, at least, some of its aspects) is interesting and given that attendance and membership to most religious institutions is on the decline, perhaps this is why there seems to be dearth of younger people interested in this topic.

Anyone else out there want to talk about this particular book?

So far I've gotten through the forward and the essays regarding Capitalism and the Roswell Slides. I do disagree with Banias about capitalism and UFOs. I suspect that capitalism will allow ufology to exist as long as it proves a distraction and takes focus away from the worst excesses of our economic system (opiate of the masses).
Rutkowski's take on ufology as a religion (or, at least, some of its aspects) is interesting and given that attendance and membership to most religious institutions is on the decline, perhaps this is why there seems to be dearth of younger people interested in this topic.
So Red.....what else have you gleamed from the text? I think Banias is rather accurate as Capitalism marginalizes the discussion as a fringe topic with no real consumer value and consequently no real social capital so long as it can be mocked and marginalised as a critical dialogue in our culture. I would like to think that the book itself tries to open up various critical disparate avenues of dialogue with its many themes.

So Red.....what else have you gleamed from the text? I think Banias is rather accurate as Capitalism marginalizes the discussion as a fringe topic with no real consumer value and consequently no real social capital so long as it can be mocked and marginalised as a critical dialogue in our culture. I would like to think that the book itself tries to open up various critical disparate avenues of dialogue with its many themes.

Yet, when companies use capitalism to examine this topic via private industry, the critics claim this is all a ploy by the government to escape FOIA requests. So you can't win. People are already critical of Space X, Virgin, Bigelow Aerospace, and others, for trying to use free market principles and build a space program. Hell, even Delonge is trying to use principles of capitalism to fund his venture, and look at the hatred that has received. So capitalism is bad, because it suppresses anything that doesn't have consumer value, yet when private entities try and use capitalism to further these fringe topics, its categorized as a "money grab" or "shell companies of the secret government."

Back