• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Something worth mentioning

BrandonD

Skilled Investigator
The idea of young people not being interested in ufos or paranormal subjects might be legitimate, but there is another point here worth considering. And that is - There do not seem to be very clear-cut ways to get involved in the ufo investigation subject and the "authorities" in the subject don't seem to be especially helpful.

For example, I don't consider myself to be exactly youthful (I'm 30), but I'm younger than some of the big guys in the field and I've actually written to some of them telling them that I am seriously interested in getting involved in ufo investigation. I've even donated money to ufo-related organizations such as the disclosure project and the paradigm research group.

A while back I was motivated by a video where Stanton Friedman lamented over the lack of youth involvement in the ufo field, and that very day I wrote to Mr Friedman and told him that I would like to get involved and that I am seriously interested, could he give me advice on how to get involved?

His very brief reply consisted of a list of the 3 main ufo books in the field. How exactly was this supposed to help me get involved? If someone wrote to me saying what I had said I would not assume that they were completely ignorant of the subject, so I didn't understand the terseness of his reply. Didn't he want more youth involvement?

Considering this situation, I think it might be useful to discuss a general course of action for people to follow who wish to become more involved in the ufo field. Something other than just giving money or starting up another random web page.

BrandonD said:
The idea of young people not being interested in ufos or paranormal subjects might be legitimate, but there is another point here worth considering. And that is - There do not seem to be very clear-cut ways to get involved in the ufo investigation subject and the "authorities" in the subject don't seem to be especially helpful.

For example, I don't consider myself to be exactly youthful (I'm 30), but I'm younger than some of the big guys in the field and I've actually written to some of them telling them that I am seriously interested in getting involved in ufo investigation. I've even donated money to ufo-related organizations such as the disclosure project and the paradigm research group.

A while back I was motivated by a video where Stanton Friedman lamented over the lack of youth involvement in the ufo field, and that very day I wrote to Mr Friedman and told him that I would like to get involved and that I am seriously interested, could he give me advice on how to get involved?

His very brief reply consisted of a list of the 3 main ufo books in the field. How exactly was this supposed to help me get involved? If someone wrote to me saying what I had said I would not assume that they were completely ignorant of the subject, so I didn't understand the terseness of his reply. Didn't he want more youth involvement?

Considering this situation, I think it might be useful to discuss a general course of action for people to follow who wish to become more involved in the ufo field. Something other than just giving money or starting up another random web page.

I guess that the problem lies on the belief system that adults reflects to the youth for this phenomena. Do we really know what UFO are? If we are not sure what it is… can we believe on it? Do we have a “tangible” proof? As long as adults are not in agreement on what the UFO phenomena really is, I find it very difficult to attract more young people to this topic.

I guess that unfortunately the best way to learn more about this is by doing your own homework. Just because someone wrote a best-selling book about UFO does not necessarily means that what is written there is true (but it could be educative to read at the same time). Nevertheless, we are the ones that need to discern the information we receive. On the other hand, I would be very cautious on handing out money to people who claims to be UFO researches.

Of course it would be “awesome” participating in retrieving parts of another Roswell crash if it ever happens (but don’t count on me for picking up the green little bodies) :p

It's a legitimate concern, but as the first reply to this states, you got to do your own work. You can't look to anyone but yourself, and motivation is your best asset. Research is long and tedious. Find subtler ways to maintain the subject. If you're a student, do research papers on these subjects. Just talk to your friends about it.

It's a very fringe subject we're talking about here. Without some smoking gun, most people don't have the time or energy or sanity to devote to such a subject, so what are you working towards? Set up a discussion group at your local library or write your congressman if activism is your thing.

Personally I'm at a point where until I get some exclusive information or come up with a good marketing hook, I'm going to sit back and just inform myself. What else can anyone really do? I've no faith or interest in making up minds for other people. But I don't mind entertaining them.

Back