• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

sleep paralysis

skunkape

Paranormal Maven
I had one of those sleep paralysis episodes last night that some skeptics believe account for nighttime visitations. My dog woke me up to go outside at about 3 in the morning. I lay back in bed, trying to stay awake to let the dog back in in a few minutes. I felt as if I had briefly dozed and then snapped back awake. There was a luminous apparition at the foot of my bead...an old man with wild unkempt hair and a very creepy, intense stare. He almost looked like Doc from Back to the Future. The most intense wave of terror you could imagine washed over me when, as I was looking at the apparition, a black dwarfish figure jumped on top of my girlfriend who was lying beside me and began to assault her. It was like a three dimensional shadow. It's head was a featureless ball. I struggled with every ounce of power to throw a punch and hit the thing for about five seconds before I was awakened by the dog scratching the door. Man was I relieved. I couldn't go back to sleep for a couple of hours because my adrenaline level was so high. I can see where sleep paralysis makes sense from a survival standpoint. If I had been able to move I probably would have punched my sleeping girlfriend into a deeper level of unconsiousness.

Either "aliens" know about SP and how debunkers think, or would think, and use methods similar to SP as a smokescreen. Or, many many abductions are SP. Not all, but a lot.

I know i constantly rant about sleep paralysis on this forum so I won't get too carried away, but i personally believe, and will continue to believe that all cases of abduction are either a case of sleep paralysis or an overactive imagination.
Thats not to say i'm not open-minded about it and won't look at each individual case critically, but i think its such a extraordinary case to make that it needs some sort of proof other than hypnotic regression to prove.

DNA from being touched by aliens, an implant from someones head, anything other than one persons account.

I would love for someone to come up with a case that could prove me wrong.... i think the betty and barny hill is the most likely to date.

I would love for someone to come up with a case that could prove me wrong.... i think the betty and barny hill is the most likely to date.

Well, there's Jeff Ritzmann who isn't asleep for his experiences.

But beyond this, you should read Graham Hancock's "Supernatural," if you haven't yet. There's another option beyond sleep paralysis and abductions. So it doesn't have to be one or the other.

I know i constantly rant about sleep paralysis on this forum so I won't get too carried away, but i personally believe, and will continue to believe that all cases of abduction are either a case of sleep paralysis or an overactive imagination.
Thats not to say i'm not open-minded about it and won't look at each individual case critically, but i think its such a extraordinary case to make that it needs some sort of proof other than hypnotic regression to prove.

DNA from being touched by aliens, an implant from someones head, anything other than one persons account.

I have to agree, yes i too believe most case's of Abuction are either sleep paralysis or a overactive imagination, but there is another factor also they could be medically sick in the head.

There is no prove of Abuction's but i do believe there is probably ten to five percent that are real.Jeff ritzman is right when he siad in a recent post " hypnosis would influence the outcome of that therapy session by it's results. People may disagree with that analysis that is there choice.

Sometimes i wonder if whitley streiber" has influenced many of the false abuction storys involveing the beings called the Greys? .The Greys probably do exist, however how many people do they need to take, it seems kind of weird that they cant figure out our biology after all this time.

Maybe the Greys are just new to our planet Maybe they only have been on her planet one to two hundred years ? . It is could be a possibility! Anyway all speculation on my part.

Barney and Betty hill case involved child like greys, i believe they were depicted as such. They seemed to have traits of what a human would have. Of course they were Alien. However they seemed to have a personality ' which the greys in a lot of abduction case's do not.Kind of strange dont you think.:)

There are legitimate "real" experiences, caused by what appears to be a possibly non human intelligence. I don't, make that "can't", deny this fact. One problem we run into is that after one has such an experience, it can become difficult to distinguish between perceptions arising from some combination of chemicals and electroactivity in the brain from perceptions arising from an external agency. Whatever the "intelligence" is seems to be operating in a level of material nature of which we have little grasp. It's as if it can become "sympathetic" with the vibratory frequency of the "real" world, meaning the shit we can bump into, either accidentally or at will.

I have had several things that suggest that there is a physical element to whatever this is. That doesn't mean it is Aleins.

I have a scoop mark on my ankle that has been there for about ten years. The doctors think it is weird. After my kidney/pancreas transplant there were three distinct holes on my back that corresponded to actual draining tubes on my abdomen and a small shaved area on my haed that looked like a punture wound.

Unfortunately I did not document any of this because I never thought I would have to try to prove my case to strangers. I have a massage therapist that has seen the post transplant wounds. One of the holes has left a scar and is still slighly visable.

I also recently saw the doctor that performed the operation and asked him just in case. His answer was no and there better not have been any alien abdutions on my watch. I never meantioned aliens.

I have seen several chiropractors over the years. One Xray showed a metalic object around my left original kidney area. My new tranplanted organs were added to my abdomen and the originals are still left in. Now I am not sure how good the person was reading the X ray but on the report it said something like the object could be possible shrapnel. A few years later I had an additional Xray and the item was gone. Both Xray were post tranplant.

I have woken up with nosebleeds, bruised, scratched and other wierd marks.

I really have no reason to lie about such things.

Reply to Hoffmeister:

I have had a very dramatic missing time event in association with a extremely strange arial phenomenon.

This was NOT sleep paralysis!

I have had no uncovered memories from this event, all I have is about 2 hours unaccounted for. I have had other life events, including some events that took place while I was in bed, and this very creepy memory could very well be some sort of "sleep paralysis"

Do your homework. THere are a LOT of abduction events (with multiple witnesses) that do NOT take place at night in a bed.

I have had several things that suggest that there is a physical element to whatever this is. That doesn't mean it is Aleins.

I have a scoop mark on my ankle that has been there for about ten years. The doctors think it is weird. After my kidney/pancreas transplant there were three distinct holes on my back that corresponded to actual draining tubes on my abdomen and a small shaved area on my haed that looked like a punture wound.

Unfortunately I did not document any of this because I never thought I would have to try to prove my case to strangers. I have a massage therapist that has seen the post transplant wounds. One of the holes has left a scar and is still slighly visable.

I also recently saw the doctor that performed the operation and asked him just in case. His answer was no and there better not have been any alien abdutions on my watch. I never meantioned aliens.

I have seen several chiropractors over the years. One Xray showed a metalic object around my left original kidney area. My new tranplanted organs were added to my abdomen and the originals are still left in. Now I am not sure how good the person was reading the X ray but on the report it said something like the object could be possible shrapnel. A few years later I had an additional Xray and the item was gone. Both Xray were post tranplant.

I have woken up with nosebleeds, bruised, scratched and other wierd marks.

I really have no reason to lie about such things.

Don't doubt you a bit...Have you examined yourself with a blacklight?

I agree that most episodes are sleep paralysis. However we have the cases in which the experiencer is not asleep as previously stated. Even though these types of cases are more rare, I think there may be some brain activity that it stems from, whether internal or external. Could it be low level seizures of some kind?? Could it be some phenomenom of the brain that we haven't discovered or don't understand??

There are lots of different types of wave activity that permeates the air. Could this be part of it?? Persingers experimental helmets operated on magnetic stimulation. Could there be another type of stimulation or signal that is causing this?? I don't mean to play UberSkeptic, but I really don't think anyone is being abducted by aliens, angels, ghosts, or whatever. I certainly would love to be proven wrong, but the level of evidence is so low that I can't fathom a reality where some type of being is actually operating this way.

Either way, it remains a REAL phenomenom. And people deserve answers to the troubling things that are happening to them, whatever it is. It can't be easy to come out with a story that some being "took" you. That just sounds ridiculous and will surely result in ridicule. The accounts of credible, honest people tells me something is happening. I just don't think what they are experiencing is actually what is happening.

Lots of interesting replies here.

Firstly Mikec, I have done 'homework' to some extent, and wasnt suggesting that there are not people claiming that they have been awake and abducted. My point was, that until I personally evidence of something, I won't believe that it is 100% true.
For me to make judgements on such radical things, i personally need a great deal of evidence. On the topic of abductions i fail to see a great deal of convincing evidence, but that is not to say that i am saying its all bunk.
Sure you say you have had an experience, as do many others, but to date I have not seen any compelling evidence that its actually happening. I'm not calling you a liar, I just simply don't make judgements on things unless I have proof.
I believe that there may well be ufo's whizzing around because there is such evidence as:
1. Me seeing a whopping great big black triangle
2. Large scale sightings combined with radar evidence etc

However I have not yet seen any similar evidence for abductions. 1000's of individual cases of abductions for me isnt proof.
People often get angry at me when I say things like this, they say things such as "i dont care what you think, i know what happened to me"
And you know what.... good for them. I am not trying to impose my views on anyone else.
Believing in things which you don't have proof for is in my opinion closer to religion than any sort of rational scientific thinking and i am not a religious person.
I certainly dont want to impose my opinion on anyone else, and i am not saying that anyone else is lying.
If someone shows me some compelling evidence tommorow.... I will change my opinion in a heartbeat.

Skunkape,
I have not examined myself with a black light . Please inform me as to what that could accomplish if you are serious.

Skunkape,
I have not examined myself with a black light . Please inform me as to what that could accomplish if you are serious.

He probably means you should check yourself to see if there is any traces of substance that might be there on your body which cant be seen with the naked eye.Black light is just uv light in simple terms. Banks use it to stop criminals from passing false notes over.

I agree with you that most abduction cases can be argued away as either sleep paralysis,imagination or maybe even OBE's (speaking from personal experience here).

But there are those rare golden nuggets in the database which seem too defy any rational explanations.

The Kelly Cahill case from Austraila is one of the most convincing I've seen,due to it's physical evidence (landing traces,markings on the witnesses bodies) and the apparent honesty of the six witnesses...

A couple of clips from Google Video and Youtube:

kelly cahill - Google Video this is a 52 minute in depth interview.

Here's a short 8 minute clip:

The Allagash Abductions,is another classic case,that in my opinion can't be explained away as something prosaic (four witnesses).

I had an unpleasant sleep paralysis episode Sunday morning and it had been quite a while since my last one. I woke up and I felt a pressure forcing me down as I was lying on my stomach. At first I thought ti was one of my cats, but then I noticed them walking around on the floor. I realized it was sleep paralysis so I didn't freak out (too much). Then I felt a strange tickling on my lower back and I am positive this was due to the fact that I recently listened to the podcast where Jeremy spoke of his experiences. Anyway, after a few minutes of this I snapped out of it and got up. This was the first time this happened with my wife next to me, and I think that's what allowed me to relax, which in turn allowed me to get out of it more quickly.
I'm of the opinion that an enormous amount of so-called alien abductions can be explained by sleep paralysis. However the stuff that Jeff and Jeremy have spoken about on the show sounds like some other type of phenomenon.

If someone shows me some compelling evidence tomorrow.... I will change my opinion in a heartbeat.

Well which is it that you need: compelling evidence or proof? If evidence, what would be compelling that isn't already out there?

I get what you're saying here but I'm pretty sure you do believe in things with no proof. Lot's of scientific "truisms" are overturned with new evidence, for example. With those go our formerly held beliefs about them.

Hell, do you believe in medicine? Do you believe in diet? What about all of the major extrapolations about the nature of the universe given to us by people who have never left this rock? Was OJ guilty?

I once woke (on my front) to find my duvet being pulled down tight and a dark figure with curly hair leaning over me. Summoning all my strength, I managed to get my hand free and then, whatever this figure was, it bit me on the finger. I remember screaming and no sound coming out.

I once woke (on my front) to find my duvet being pulled down tight and a dark figure with curly hair leaning over me. Summoning all my strength, I managed to get my hand free and then, whatever this figure was, it bit me on the finger. I remember screaming and no sound coming out.
Did the pain linger after you woke up?
I've been stabbed in the foot by a hairy midget in a dream and the pain lasted for a few seconds after waking. Kinda freaky.

Did the pain linger after you woke up?
I've been stabbed in the foot by a hairy midget in a dream and the pain lasted for a few seconds after waking. Kinda freaky.

Nah, I don't think so. I had had similar experiences before, but this was the first time i had been bitten.

Lots of interesting replies here.

Firstly Mikec, I have done 'homework' to some extent, and wasnt suggesting that there are not people claiming that they have been awake and abducted. My point was, that until I personally evidence of something, I won't believe that it is 100% true.
For me to make judgements on such radical things, i personally need a great deal of evidence. On the topic of abductions i fail to see a great deal of convincing evidence, but that is not to say that i am saying its all bunk.
Sure you say you have had an experience, as do many others, but to date I have not seen any compelling evidence that its actually happening. I'm not calling you a liar, I just simply don't make judgements on things unless I have proof.
I believe that there may well be ufo's whizzing around because there is such evidence as:
1. Me seeing a whopping great big black triangle
2. Large scale sightings combined with radar evidence etc

However I have not yet seen any similar evidence for abductions. 1000's of individual cases of abductions for me isnt proof.
People often get angry at me when I say things like this, they say things such as "i dont care what you think, i know what happened to me"
And you know what.... good for them. I am not trying to impose my views on anyone else.
Believing in things which you don't have proof for is in my opinion closer to religion than any sort of rational scientific thinking and i am not a religious person.
I certainly dont want to impose my opinion on anyone else, and i am not saying that anyone else is lying.
If someone shows me some compelling evidence tommorow.... I will change my opinion in a heartbeat.

Don't bother with homework ever. Few will know the difference and you'll still get on Fox news as an expert. I would have if I didn't feel up the chics that were in the way to the mic while drunk.

Back