• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/plus/

The Official Paracast Store is back! Check out our latest lineup of customized stuff at: The Official Paracast Store!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Shop Talk With Mark Jackson

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
Mark Jackson returns to talk shop with Gene & Randall. Got some ideas? Got some theories? Share them here! Recording starts at 2:00 PM MST today.

DavidVincent

Skilled Investigator
I’ve been working my way through your archives again - some of these are really excellent - can’t you tempt Mr.Biedny back ??
I’ve tried a couple of the recent ones and I must agree with the member above with respect to the last one.
Wouldn’t it be possible to get Mr Vallee back - or maybe someone from Cufos, or To The Stars?? Or maybe even a real scammer who can be exposed? I think it would be more interesting to have some real scientific rigour or some debunking entertainment

TDSR

Skilled Investigator
Admittedly, I have held back some "personality" due to me never being on the air before, I had to put my toe in the water so to speak. I appreciate your constructive criticism. As a professional, and scientist it is difficult to climb too far out on the speculation branch, that said I am secure with where I am at in life so on the next show (if Gene will have me) get ready for more of this I guess!!!!!! sukalo.png

I’ve been working my way through your archives again - some of these are really excellent - can’t you tempt Mr.Biedny back ??
I’ve tried a couple of the recent ones and I must agree with the member above with respect to the last one.
Wouldn’t it be possible to get Mr Vallee back - or maybe someone from Cufos, or To The Stars?? Or maybe even a real scammer who can be exposed? I think it would be more interesting to have some real scientific rigour or some debunking entertainment
A real scammer on the Paracast? That would be novel.

DavidVincent

Skilled Investigator
By a scammer I guess really mean someone who is maybe putting a radical ufo claim/contactee story out there. There were a couple of examples in the archives where Mr. Biedny did some quite masterful debunking of supposed "evidence". But of course the clincher was that he had technical expertise in the areas of computer generated graphics/photo analysis. I'm aware that a recent Mufon convention included people who claimed that they'd been living on Mars - crazy stuff that like that. The Roswell slides scam where big money was involved - and so on?
Are there no contactee claims going on down these days, or U.S. representatives of strange ufo belief cults? Maybe they don't abound so much these days :)

By a scammer I guess really mean someone who is maybe putting a radical ufo claim/contactee story out there. There were a couple of examples in the archives where Mr. Biedny did some quite masterful debunking of supposed "evidence". But of course the clincher was that he had technical expertise in the areas of computer generated graphics/photo analysis. I'm aware that a recent Mufon convention included people who claimed that they'd been living on Mars - crazy stuff that like that. The Roswell slides scam where big money was involved - and so on?
Are there no contactee claims going on down these days, or U.S. representatives of strange ufo belief cults? Maybe they don't abound so much these days :)
I suspect the Paracast's history and reputation is well known enough that real juicy targets for such an operation would steer clear. Would be fun to listen to though!

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
Hardly bother now since the show is consistently terrible.
Right about the time Chris O’brien quit.
Yes we all miss Chris, but I don't see you doing or even attempting to do anything to improve things, and frankly I'm getting bored with your constant lack of constructive criticism. If you want to do something to improve The Paracast, then try creating some good content for the forum, help source out guests that you think would make our audience happier, participate in a positive way in The Question Bank, and quit being so chronically negative.

I just don't know - this UFO field really doesn't seem to have changed much from the mess it got itself in way back years ago. Which is why many of us just left it all behind in disgust and why most scientists won't go anywhere near it. Even now so much infighting, name calling and squabbling - and so many financial scams and hoaxes. Taking a look into AlienExpanse as was suggested here previously - and just tapping Gene's/Paracast's name into Google it all comes gushing out like a ruptured sewer. It also seems that the two previous co-hosts exited on less than good terms - having previously done all of the "heavy lifting" in both show participation and more importantly sourcing guest bookings? Anyway, whatever - it's not a good look for a subject which has always been subject to much ridicule and derision. Once your reputation is lost it's all over really - same as in politics I guess. But maybe this all just the cunning plan of the Men in Black???

I just don't know - this UFO field really doesn't seem to have changed much from the mess it got itself in way back years ago. Which is why many of us just left it all behind in disgust and why most scientists won't go anywhere near it. Even now so much infighting, name calling and squabbling - and so many financial scams and hoaxes. Taking a look into AlienExpanse as was suggested here previously - and just tapping Gene's/Paracast's name into Google it all comes gushing out like a ruptured sewer. It also seems that the two previous co-hosts exited on less than good terms - having previously done all of the "heavy lifting" in both show participation and more importantly sourcing guest bookings? Anyway, whatever - it's not a good look for a subject which has always been subject to much ridicule and derision. Once your reputation is lost it's all over really - same as in politics I guess. But maybe this all just the cunning plan of the Men in Black???
It's funny, I agree with much of what you say, and yet I will respectfully disagree that in UFOlogy / the paranormal 'field' your reputation is so critical.

I agree that it seems like your reputation should be important. I mean let's face it, we are wholly in the realm of 'believe it or not' here. If the claims and theories all could be easily proven and communicated, they wouldn't be filed under paranormal. With UFOs so much of this comes down to, who do you believe? Does the witness or researcher seem credible? (Even then if they appear sincere, could they be misinterpreting or just wrong...? Could they be delusional? Are they conning you?)

So yeah I feel like reputation should be a big deal. For me with Phil Imbrogno for example. I was interested enough in the topics he covered and he had a good enough reputation I bought one of his books back when. I stopped reading it when I came across some wild claim, but I didn't dismiss everything connected with him, just decided he was more squirrelly than he seemed. Then all the deception came to light and it was, OK, I'm done with this guy.

And yet - I believe he could make a comeback, to some extent anyway. Others have. David Rountree has been exposed and is still operating. Many other claimants and personalities have been torn down (at least I see it that way) or taken seriously credibility hits, and yet still have going concerns (I'm thinking of Greer).

There are certainly authors out there where I don't think they believe what they're peddling, and many would acknowledge it. They're just serving up what someone, somewhere wants to read.

My own assessment, people want to believe, or have their minds somewhat made up, and are biased in favor of those who can give them their fix of UFO belief. Others just enjoy the topic.

But yeah I agree you'd think when nothing can be proven your reputation and personal credibility would mean everything, yet it does not seem that way to me.